Menu

Coursera -- Kid too young for class?

DD found a class on Coursera that she'd really like to take. Unfortunately, their site states that you have to be 13 to take a class. She's 12. In fact, she will turn 13 during the class session -- if only it started a few weeks later! I'm not comfortable lying about her age, because, well, I'm just not, and I don't like setting that precedent. However, I did tell her I would contact them to see if they would allow it because she hits the requirement during the session.

Well, mostly just venting because DD is really bummed. Just sympathize with me!

I believe you can sign up for classes after they are already in session. Would that be a possible alternative, with her viewing the beginning of the course from an adult's account? My daughter has gone through a couple courses viewing material on my account. I could see not wanting to submit quizzes or projects, but maybe you could give her a chance to check out the course lectures and then create an account for her after she meets the age guideline? There are so many neat things on there I know how it feels to not want to miss any! A lot of the courses do come around again if you keep an eye out, so maybe she could do it the next time it comes up?

This rule is in place due to Internet privacy laws.  Youth under the age of 13 are not legally allowed to be active on the internet in spaces where they could have direct discourse with adult predators.  It is Federal law.  It does not mean the content is too mature.  It means that this way she has to have a parent present and thus have parental oversight.  You do not need to lie about her age.  You only need to allow her to view the account information through your account to legally stipulate that you are monitoring her behavior.

It is a legal issue.

This rule is in place due to Internet privacy laws. Youth under the age of 13 are not legally allowed to be active on the internet in spaces where they could have direct discourse with adult predators. It is Federal law. It does not mean the content is too mature. It means that this way she has to have a parent present and thus have parental oversight. You do not need to lie about her age. You only need to allow her to view the account information through your account to legally stipulate that you are monitoring her behavior.

It is a legal issue.

Oh! That is good news. I knew there were youth protection protocols in place, but for some reason, that hadn't occurred to me. I figured it was because content could be too mature. So, okay, yes, I could definitely have her view the info through my account. Thank you so much! She will be thrilled!

Other posters, thank you too! I did sign up to be on the list the next time it comes around, but this is my first venture into Coursera, so I don't know if it will or not. It is a guitar class, and it says that students should submit assignments for critique by other students. I'm not sure I want her to do that, as she's a very, very, very new guitar player, and at this point, I don't want her critiqued; I just want her to absorb the information and enjoy it. Can we do a class without submitting assignments?

I had no idea about all the media laws until my son decided he wanted to give youth a voice through a YouTube feed.  Goodness gracious!  It has all been worked out, but most companies do not want to deal with it.  They just say no one under 13 because it is simpler and they do not lose much demographic that way.

My son has done several (5 or 6 or so I think) courses now, all under my name because he's well under age.  Last year there was a music theory one that looked like it would actually be useful for him to do and have the cert in his own name, so I looked at making him an account.  It didn't ask for his age, and I didn't give it.  I am actively supervising - I figure we're good. 

Oh! That is good news. I knew there were youth protection protocols in place, but for some reason, that hadn't occurred to me. I figured it was because content could be too mature. So, okay, yes, I could definitely have her view the info through my account. Thank you so much! She will be thrilled!

Other posters, thank you too! I did sign up to be on the list the next time it comes around, but this is my first venture into Coursera, so I don't know if it will or not. It is a guitar class, and it says that students should submit assignments for critique by other students. I'm not sure I want her to do that, as she's a very, very, very new guitar player, and at this point, I don't want her critiqued; I just want her to absorb the information and enjoy it. Can we do a class without submitting assignments?

Yes.  You choose your level of participation.   My sons and I watch lectures together.  We do not read the suggested readings (well, sometimes I do, but not with them), we do complete assignments, and do not read or post on the discussion groups.  Sometimes we only watch a few of the lectures from a course.   We aren't interested in certificates at this point.  We simply enjoy the lectures.   

Yep -- DD took her first class at 12, using my login and watching and doing the work along with me.

It's also OK to sign up for a class a week or two late -- depending on the class, you may or may not be able to turn things in late and get the certificate, but the videos and assignments will definitely be available to see and catch up.

JanetC, cool, that is good to know too! I'm not at all worried about anything official, like the certificate, at this point; I'm really just trying to be supportive of a kid who really likes music and her new guitar, and I'd like to see if online courses might ever work as a good option for her.

DH signed up for the course under his own email, too, so I'm sure they will have plenty of fun discussing it together.