Menu

In my day, we got a better quality of troll.

Rivka

Elsewhere: "I plan to start homeschooling my 3.5 year old next month. During focused class time, is it better to be called "Mommy" or "Mrs. Last Name"? How does your family do it and why?? Opinions politely, please."

131 comments and counting. I didn't read them all, but nobody seems to be talking about cupcakes or men in kilts.

Ou sont les trolls d'antan? (Where are the trolls of yesteryear? As dear old Francois Villon used to say.) What happened to asking a forum to pick out curriculum for the many children of your recently deceased sister, who are now your responsibility to homeschool? Where are the boy-girl twins born on the 4th of July? Where are the fake Orthodox Jews talking about how they teach "the Old Testament"? What happened to the mom whose neighbors wanted her to wear a maid's uniform while she cleaned their house?

Oh, and weighing in on the original question: I didn't spend five years in Evil Graduate School just to be called MRS. Evil. My kids call me Dr. LastName or there is hell to pay.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a doozy of a troll on the old boards who had a dd who got preggo at the age of 12 having done the deed with a boy she met at home school coop in the church bathroom. That was quite a story. She had a lot of people going for awhile. Her other stories were also quite imaginative, and people sent her money, items, ect, and she posed as multiple people on different computers.

Elsewhere: "I plan to start homeschooling my 3.5 year old next month. During focused class time, is it better to be called "Mommy" or "Mrs. Last Name"? How does your family do it and why?? Opinions politely, please."

131 comments and counting. I didn't read them all, but nobody seems to be talking about cupcakes or men in kilts.

Ou sont les trolls d'antan? (Where are the trolls of yesteryear? As dear old Francois Villon used to say.) What happened to asking a forum to pick out curriculum for the many children of your recently deceased sister, who are now your responsibility to homeschool? Where are the boy-girl twins born on the 4th of July? Where are the fake Orthodox Jews talking about how they teach "the Old Testament"? What happened to the mom whose neighbors wanted her to wear a maid's uniform while she cleaned their house?

Oh, and weighing in on the original question: I didn't spend five years in Evil Graduate School just to be called MRS. Evil. My kids call me Dr. LastName or there is hell to pay.

Ahem...those are MY TRIPLETS (boy-boy-girl) who were born on the Fourth of July.

Patrick, Henry and Sparkler...their names are right above my avatar.

:D

CarolfromIL wanted to rent her car out as a taxi. She had some other interesting posts, too. Other funny threads (maybe not technically trolling) were the men breastfeeding thread and the woman who kept getting pushed off the school sidewalk by a mom with a stroller. And the woman whose house was being shown and someone left a present in the non-flushing toilet.

Yeah, she's the one with the names that were like:

Twin boys, 7... Dylan and Thomas

:lol:

Wasn't that our dear Anna Marie?  Or something similar.  I remember because DH and I were trying to adopt and I remember thinking that she had one of the names I would use for a girl.

She was the one that lived on the lake (sorry I can't multiquote whoever else said that upthread).  And it wasn't that all her dozen childrens' names were cutsie but they were ridiculously cutsie.

Twin boys, 7... Dylan and Thomas (goes by Dylie-pookins and Tommy-tommy-cutie-bootie)

I really think my favorite thread ever was the lady who FLIPPED OUT because the waitress brought her salad before for the meal.  She had very strong feelings that salad should come after the meal and all wait staff should know that, she shouldn't have to request her salad be brought after the meal.

Yeah, she's the one with the names that were like:

Twin boys, 7... Dylan and Thomas

No, no, no, you are mis-remembering. It was more like:

Twin boys, 22, Dylan "Dills" William and Thomas "TeeTee" Worthington, with DGD Ophelia Margereta "Meg-O" and DGS Elijah Jeremiah "Jeb".

Plus fifteen more. Cuz people with seventeen kids have two hours to list names in the siggy, including grandkids. Uh-huh.

I really think my favorite thread ever was the lady who FLIPPED OUT because the waitress brought her salad before for the meal.  She had very strong feelings that salad should come after the meal and all wait staff should know that, she shouldn't have to request her salad be brought after the meal.

I thought she was mad because she was going to die of starvation and the waiter didn't bring the salad immediately but served it just before the main course.

We had a doozy of a troll on the old boards who had a dd who got preggo at the age of 12 having done the deed with a boy she met at home school coop in the church bathroom. That was quite a story. She had a lot of people going for awhile. Her other stories were also quite imaginative, and people sent her money, items, ect, and she posed as multiple people on different computers.

I remember that!!!!! My oldest was in an academic co-op at the time and I remember trying to imagine what she described taking place there.

She was a troll of the highest order.

I haven't seen the thread you're talking about, OP, but I have to say, some things wouldn't surprise me if they were true. Now I have to sit down with my Friday beer and think about what I want to be called during school hours...

I seem to remember on the old boards someone actually checking on ISP numbers or something like that to prove to others that one poster was actually responsible for a number of different poster accounts.  Anyone remember that?  It may have been one of the above story lines being one of those poster's.

I seem to remember on the old boards someone actually checking on ISP numbers or something like that to prove to others that one poster was actually responsible for a number of different poster accounts.  Anyone remember that?  It may have been one of the above story lines being one of those poster's.

Oh, yes, I remember that, too. Good times. :lol:

I remember that!   I think that that particular troll was the woman whose  12 yr. old dd got pregnant plus she also was a woman whose husband died--was it from cancer?-- and she also pretended to be a friends of the woman whose husband died. she was probably a few other personas as well but I don't remember them all.  I was new to the forums back then  and I couldn't believe all of the drama that I found here.   

The smart trolls start low key. Hey, should I eat this? What math curriculum should I use? They offer mostly normal seeming opinions. You never question that they're real. They move up to eccentric. Btw, did you realize I have 12 kids? Also three of them are allergic to rutabagas and you wouldn't believe how many things secretly contain rutabaga traces. But then before you know it, they're inviting the whole board to their UFO cult.

The smart trolls start low key. Hey, should I eat this? What math curriculum should I use? They offer mostly normal seeming opinions. You never question that they're real. They move up to eccentric. Btw, did you realize I have 12 kids? Also three of them are allergic to rutabagas and you wouldn't believe how many things secretly contain rutabaga traces. But then before you know it, they're inviting the whole board to their UFO cult.

Ah Rivka, this post came at the end of a tough day for me..THANK YOU! Needed the chuckle.

The smart trolls start low key. Hey, should I eat this? What math curriculum should I use? They offer mostly normal seeming opinions. You never question that they're real. They move up to eccentric. Btw, did you realize I have 12 kids? Also three of them are allergic to rutabagas and you wouldn't believe how many things secretly contain rutabaga traces. But then before you know it, they're inviting the whole board to their UFO cult.

From The Lying Disease:

"The lies slowly escalate, pile up, and create an improbable whole. Then one day, you realize you're friends with a 15-year-old chronic migraine sufferer online who also happens to be a fourth-year medical school student who plays drums in a band at night—despite those crippling migraines—to pay his med school tuition because his deaf mother and alcoholic stepfather have no interest in his baby-genius education. Oh, and since he's not yet old enough to drive, he skateboards three miles a day to get to class.

And on that day, you feel like a total schmuck."

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-lying-disease/content?oid=15337239

Wow. I consider myself an old timer here but this must have been before my time...unless I never recognized it. At least I know for sure I never sent any money. :)

It was a Facebook group. Facebook seems much less alert to the ways of trolls.

I sometimes think that is because, for a lot of people, the Internet seems to begin and end with Facebook. Which is not a problem at all, but it does become easier to spot a troll if you have experience with message boards or chat boards or Usenet or something.

I remember that!   I think that that particular troll was the woman whose  12 yr. old dd got pregnant plus she also was a woman whose husband died--was it from cancer?-- and she also pretended to be a friends of the woman whose husband died. she was probably a few other personas as well but I don't remember them all.  I was new to the forums back then  and I couldn't believe all of the drama that I found here.   

Whoa, this level of trolling is quite different than the "say something inflammatory and watch the drama ensue" type of trolls I'm used to.  I'm going to have to really keep my skeptic radar going...which is hard... I was voted most gullible at one time in my youth.  Are these just bored people or are they hoping to actually get something out of all this?   Gosh, I can barely keep my own life together, I don't have time to have multiple lives.

Whoa, this level of trolling is quite different than the "say something inflammatory and watch the drama ensue" type of trolls I'm used to.  I'm going to have to really keep my skeptic radar going...which is hard... I was voted most gullible at one time in my youth.  Are these just bored people or are they hoping to actually get something out of all this?   Gosh, I can barely keep my own life together, I don't have time to have multiple lives.

Yes. It's a certain brand of troll. I have been on a few online communities when such a person was unmasked or realized, sometimes with some detective work by others as to ip addresses and so forth. It's... interesting. Sometimes they're people who are constant hard luck cases. They feed on getting the attention and sympathy. Sometimes they're people who are just storytelling and building a crazy story to see how far they can take it. Sometimes they're trying to weasel into a community and create dischord and turn people against each other. Like a whole other level of the say something inflammatory and watch the drama sort of thing. As in, build a coalition of support and *then* say something inflammatory and see if you can break the whole forum apart.

Yes. It's a certain brand of troll. I have been on a few online communities when such a person was unmasked or realized, sometimes with some detective work by others as to ip addresses and so forth. It's... interesting. Sometimes they're people who are constant hard luck cases. They feed on getting the attention and sympathy. Sometimes they're people who are just storytelling and building a crazy story to see how far they can take it. Sometimes they're trying to weasel into a community and create dischord and turn people against each other. Like a whole other level of the say something inflammatory and watch the drama sort of thing. As in, build a coalition of support and *then* say something inflammatory and see if you can break the whole forum apart.

wow... some people have too much time on their hands. 

Not even triplets in the NICU and  dying of rare diseases?

Herm.

Even in my group for a certain genetic condition (not a rare one) a troll didn't last five minutes before people started telling them they weren't making any sort of sense and didn't know what they were talking about. In my day at least trolls did a little research before faking things!!

I seem to remember a lady who would post about her daughter with mitochondrial disease and then posted that the daughter died and it ended up not being true.  There was also some other drama (divorce or custody maybe?).  It was a looong time ago.  Does anyone else remember her? 

I definitely remember the one with the girl getting pregnant at coop.  So many posters wrote such heartfelt posts about having been teen moms.  People were really supportive and I am sure many felt burned.