Menu

Advise for Dyslexia

Guest heatherthemurphy

Guest heatherthemurphy

Hello, I am new to WTM and looking for a place to start. I have a first grader who is possibly dyslexia. I have been reading alot and seeking advise from friends. I started home schooling last year and my youngest has made little progress in reading. We are still in the same set of Bob books that we started at the beginning of the school year. She fights for every word she reads even if she has read it a hundred times. She is still sounding out most three letter words but had her letters and sounds down when she was four. She consistently writes letters and numbers backwards and can't seem to hold the right direction in her mind even if she is looking at an example.  She is really intelligent and has great comprehension when read to and can memorize well. I want to know what my next steps should be. Does anyone know of a test? Any advise or reviews for Orton-Gilliam curriculum? What about vision therapy?

Hi Heatherthemurphy and welcome to the forum,

I've been involved in research into what you have outlined, for over 4 years, with 2 universities.

Where you wrote that she 'can't seem to hold the right direction in her mind even if she is looking at an example.'

Behind this, is the way that vision works?

When we look at anything, an image forms on the back of the eyes.

But one problem here, is due to the Lens of the eye being 'curved'?

What this causes, is the image on the back of the eye.   To be upside down, and reversed left to right.

The brain develops the ability to invert this image on the back of the eye, to see the world correctly.

Which a baby typically develops with its first 8 to 12 weeks.

Though with this research, we have identified that with 'Symbols' such as letters and numbers?

This requires developing this ability to correct the image, all over again.

But a delay can occur with this development?

Which can occur in different ways?

As the image has to be corrected by both shifting bottom and top, as well as left and right.

So that a child might not either of these, bottom/top and left/right?

Or they might correct bottom/top, but not left/ right?

Or vice versa.

But I note that you didn't mention writing letters/numbers upside down.

When you said that she 'can't seem to hold the right direction in her mind, even if she is looking at an example'?

It is very likely, that it is right to her? As that I what she is seeing.

Yet this would equally effect reading, with words being backwards.

Though this is an easy thing to test for?

Simply take one of her books, or a page of text.

Then hold it up to a mirror, so that a reversed image of the page can be seen in the mirror.

Then ask her to try and read the page in the mirror?

Where quite possibly she will be able to do this much easier?

Also with writing?

Simply ask her to print some words.

But get her to try and print the words backwards,  going from the right side of the page, across to the left.

Then after she has done it?  Have a look at what she printed in a mirror, and see how correct it is?

These a very simple tests, but they will confirm whether this is an issue or not?

As for remediation?

The method that has been trialed in a number of elementary schools, in the US and the UK ?

Just involves having them do all writing backwards, from right to left across the page.

Also printing some pages of text backwards, for them to read.

Where it has been found that typically within 4 to 6 weeks of doing this?

That without prompting, children will say that they read the 'normal way'.

Then start to write the 'normal way'.

As it seems that enabling them to read and write in a way that works for them?

Causes a development in the ability to invert this image of words and numbers on the back of their eyes, to see them correctly.

This can be difficult in a classroom situation, as other children will often observe this and make comments.

Which isn't  problem with homeschooling.

I am just speculating that this might be your daughters problem, based on what you've written.

But it is quite easy to test for it yourself.

Welcome!

Read through geodobs post above and maybe try what was posted there.

But I also recommend you get a professional evaluation through a neuropsychologist.  And do it as soon as you can.  The wait time can be long even after you have done all the legwork to get an appointment lined up.  There may need to be additional evaluations through other professionals later but see what the NP says.

Also, do more extensive research.  Come at this with knowledge and don't assume ANYONE has a clue what they are talking about just because they say so or have titles tacked onto your name.  

Resources I can think of off the top of my head:
The Mislabeled Child by Brock and Fernette Eide

The International Dyslexia Association

The Learning Abled Kids website 

Homeschooling Your Struggling Learner (even if you aren't homeschooling) by Kathy Kuhl

Barton Reading and Spelling website (don't need to buy the program, just read through some of the free info there)

Also, read through the many threads on this subforum.  You may find a lot of information here.

Best wishes.  

I'd get evaluated starting with a neuropsych eval for dyslexia. This won't solve the problem, but may give you a lot of  answers.

Vision issues mimik dyslexia and would be helped by vision therapy. Seek out a good doc and get an opinion.

I use Barton Reading and Spelling with my dyslexics. Vision therapy has also helped with convergence insufficiency and other problems, but does not address the underlying phonological processing problems.

Guest heatherthemurphy

Thank you for the information, book suggestions and barton review (I have not heard about that yet). I will look for a neuropsychologist in our area who might be able to shed some light on what is needed.

The psychologist who does your evals should be able to refer you to a tutor.  Although there are excellent materials available (Barton, which is what I'm using), many people will make faster progress with a tutor.  You can see what your resources are for getting training, how comfortable you are picking up the materials, etc., but a good tutor is another option to consider.  In our state you can get that tutoring through state-funded charter schools as well, attending part time.  The important thing is she learns to read, not who does the teaching.