Menu

USPS says package delivered 2 days ago, but nothing received-Update Post #12

Nart

I had my husband order from Rainbow Resource on January 21st using Mastercard. He ordered Beast Academy third grade package, some books, and a card game, which came out to $125. I usually do the ordering and pay extra for shipping even though shipping is free because Media Mail can take forever. I forgot to tell him to pay extra to get it shipped UPS. So on the 23rd he gets an email from Rainbow Resource that the order has shipped and will be delivered Jan. 29th. So tonight I asked my husband to check the tracking info because we haven't gotten the package. USPS says it was delivered at 12:32 pm on Tuesday Jan. 27th. We got home around 4 pm that day. We live in a relatively quiet and safe neighborhood. Are we out of luck? I am going to the post office tomorrow, but am upset at myself for not remembering to tell my husband to pay extra for shipping. UGH!

This just happened to us this week. My dh ordered some books last week. They were marked delivered on Tuesday. We didn't call until today and got the company to send a new order. 15 min later my ds went outside to play and found the package on our doorstep. We called and canceled the new shipment. I'm not sure why it was marked delivered early.

I would call your post office and tell them what happened.

They aren't supposed to, but a lot of times carriers will just scan everything as delivered in batches instead of doing it individually as they drop it at your house. They wouldn't do this two days in advance, though, so if your carrier did do that it may have gotten lost in his truck or something.

I've ordered tons of books from Amazon in 8 years of homeschooling and just recently I had the same issue where a Prime shipment said it was delivered a day late, but to our mailbox. Nope. No shipment. Ordered new stuff and original box showed up about a week later. Amazon had mislabeled the address. I have no clue how after 8 years and they are printed out.

Ask USPS to give you proof of delivery. A signature of who received it and when...

We have had excellent luck, with cartons shipped USPS Media Mail, or sent via DHL GlobalMail or FedEx SmartPost and then delivered by USPS in Miami, FL

However, with a package of that value, I would want it to be insured!

A couple of months ago, it was very obvious to me, watching the tracking of 2 or 3 things that were in the local post office in Miami to be delivered to our Forwarder, that the delivery of a carton shipped via Media Mail to us had priority over another carton shipped First Class as I recall. That surprised me, because I had assumed MediaMail was a very low priority for USPS.  Not so in Miami.

I hope you get your package or that the Shipper had insurance on a carton of that value and will replace the shipment for you. If not, talk with the customer service of the bank that issued your card and explain that you did not receive what you paid for. They will probably remove that charge from your account.

This happened to us around Thanksgiving. I was home all day when it was supposedly delivered. My doorbell was not rung, which is quite odd because our carrier always rings the bell. I was out in the front yard multiple times that day as well, with no sign of it being left anywhere.

Unfortunately, the package was never found, and USPS refused to honor the insurance on the package because their system marked the package as delivered.

They tried to convince me that the package was stolen. I highly doubt it. I was not happy.

I went to the post office on Friday. The person at the counter just shrugged and said, "the tracking number you gave me shows it was delivered". I asked to speak to a supervisor who said that the package was probably stolen but just in case he would leave a note for the mail carrier who delivered the package. On my way home I saw the mail carrier and he said he thought he delivered a package, so it must have been stolen. He got a little defensive when I asked if the package could have been misdelivered. He said he is careful and knows the route. I then drove to the police station to file a report but in my city the police station public counter is closed on Fridays. So it isn't looking good.

I spoke with several neighbors and they didn't see anything. There is a school bus stop in front if my house and I made sure on Friday I spoke with the two moms to see if they saw anything but they hadn't. Our next door neighbor suggested we check to see if the package got delivered to a street with a shortened version of our street. There isn't a house with the same number but one number off but I drove there today and knocked on the door. (ex. We live on something like 206 Davidson Ave. and I knocked on the door of 200 David Street.) No one was home but I am hoping that perhaps it was delivered there. However, it looks like a place where it would be more likely to steal a package. There is no porch and the front door is very close to a street that is far busier than our street is.

This makes me angry.  If they are going to use their tracking as proof of a delivery then they should be required to ring the doorbell.  They should be required to come to the front door of the house.  I've had delivery people (not just USPS) leave packages at the mailbox over 500 feet from the front door with the description of delivery say "left at the front door."  The mailbox is not the front door, especially when I had to fill out a paper saying where to leave the package because I lived in "the country" and they had to have express permission.  They've also left packages sitting balanced on top of the mailbox, outside the garage, in front of the car in the driveway...If your tracking is your proof and you know packages get stolen then you should have the decency to ring the doorbell to alert anyone who might be home.  

To be fair I've also had delivery people walk down that long driveway because they didn't know about the turnaround at the end.  It just makes me cranky that a company uses their tracking as proof when people make mistakes and they have no way of knowing what mistake was made.

OP  I would be calling Rainbow Resource and the bank that issued the card used for the purchase, tomorrow morning...   That's a lot of $ to potentially lose and I would fight for it or my wife would kill me...  I would do everything possible to either get what I paid for or have the amount of the charge removed from my card.  Probably the USPS is not going to be of much, if any, help in you resolving this. It will be up to Rainbow Resource or your bank to fix this for you.

Make sure you speak with the actual supervisor at the post office, not the person who is filling in for the supervisor on the temporary bases here and there. There is also a chance that the delivery was made by the sub and not the regular mail carrier so check who worked your route that day. Sometimes when misdeliveries happen, it could be a wrong street name and not the street number (e.g Maple Ridge, Maple Ave, Maple Place and such and they look the same when the carrier or a sub are in a hurry to get the mail delivered and get back to the office).

I don't know how many times I've received packages *with delivery confirmation* that didn't match my address. Since I'm a somewhat decent person, I deliver the package to the correct recipient, but I don't appreciate doing the mailman's job. We recently had a time-sensitive letter from the  IRS (!) that required a signature. According to the hand-written note on the envelope, the carrier received it mid-November. Mid-December, I received a "final notice" that it was going to be returned to sender if I didn't come to the regional center and pick it up since it was not able to be delivered. I am a homeschooling mom. I am at home nearly every day when the mailman comes. I received multiple packages during that time, that the mailman knocked on the door to deliver. Don't tell me that he couldn't have gotten my signature for a month! 

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. You are far from alone.