Menu

Ds is struggling with Lively Latin 2 Lesson 14. He would like bite sized Latin

How old is your student?  

How is your student doing with his chants? (the memorization of the forms) and with vocabulary memorization?

Have you already gone through BBOLL1?

I'm asking because I used BBOLL1 and 2 to teach myself and two kids Latin and now we are in Wheelocks.  So that's where I'm coming from.  

I don't know how old your students are or what your Latin comfort level is, but we like GSWL.  My 5th grader does well with it, and my 2nd grader is keeping up (we are on lesson 60 something, so we have a considerable amount to go yet) since her grammar foundation is solid from MCT.  I haven't had Latin since I took a single required semester in middle school.  For my family, right now it has to be incremental and doable or Latin won't get done at all.  In the past I've let perfect be the enemy of the good if you will, and just avoided teaching it because my own comfort level wasn't there.  GSWL has been great for us, but it may be too gentle for what you are looking for.  I have Galore Park Latin on my shelf too but we haven't tackled that yet.  And Wheelock's, but I am not sure i'll ever get there ;)

We did GSWL four years ago after finish inf Song School Latin. Then We did Lively Latin 1 and now Lively Latin 2. We are taking it very slowly, one page a day. The boys are 12 and 10.

So how do you do Weelock Latin if it is not bite size? How do you make it doable for your students? Dh did that in college in a very fast speed.

We did GSWL four years ago after finish inf Song School Latin. Then We did Lively Latin 1 and now Lively Latin 2. We are taking it very slowly, one page a day. The boys are 12 and 10.

So how do you do Weelock Latin if it is not bite size? How do you make it doable for your students? Dh did that in college in a very fast speed.

Wheelock's has worked for us because of  a thorough, slow approach.  We ordered the accompanying workbook as well and also do the additional chapter exercises in the back of the book.  So, I think that between the chapter work, the workbook and the additional exercises, we have ample opportunities to practice. We do  the work in the following steps.  1) Read the chapter 2) Practice Vocabulary every single time we sit down with it 3) Begin the workbook questions and exercises 4) Then do the extra practice questions and exercises in the back of the book 5) Then go back and do the Chapter exercises and the Sententiae Antiquae 6) And end by answering the final few questions in the workbook that cover the translation passages at the end of the chapter.  

The first several chapters of Wheelock's are review if one has done Lively Latin 1 and 2 (BBOLL 1 and 2).  I find the explanations of the how and why in Wheelock's are very thorough, much more so than BBOLL, but one has to read each sentence very carefully to understand. 

Maybe we could have found a better hold-your-hand curriculum, but I went with Wheelock's because I knew that I could easily buy affordable copies of the 6th edition (I needed 3!)  and the workbook on Amazon and the teacher key was online for free.  Also, Wheelock's has a substantial supporting website.  I knew that one of the private schools in town was using it and I figured that if our friend's son could begin his Latin education with Wheelock's that it had to be doable for us since we already had spent loads of time with BBOLL.

Learning Latin just isn't easy,  but I think it's worth it.  I enjoy sitting down to do it even when I'm struggling with it because it's so rewarding to finally hit the right translation.

A curriculum that is easier to take on that Wheelock's might be Classical Academic Press's books for high school.  They have generous samples online so a person can try it out.

Stellalarella,

Thank you for your answer. How old were your students when you started Weelock and how long did it take a day and how much did you finish in a week and in a year?

Dh used Weelock in college and finished it in a year, too fast. But at least he is familiar with it.

I will take a serious look at it.

I hear Latin Alive is good, too.

Per their website, BB1 and 2 cover the equivalent of one year of high school Latin; it looks like BB1 covers the first third, approximately, and BB2 covers the latter two thirds.  So having completed through Ch 13 of BB2, he's over 85% of the way through the first year of high school Latin - ITU why you don't want to start over.

If I were you, I don't think I'd buy something new just yet.  The fact he's having problems in Ch 14 probably indicates he needs more practice on the material in the previous chapters.  You could either go back a few chapters, to the last place he found it easy, and go back through the grammar and translating parts again, to solidify the material (I do that myself on books that are difficult - when I get bogged down, I go back a few chapters and re-read; when I hit the problem section again, it's generally smooth sailing). 

Or you could pull out your Latin Prep books for "new" review.  My understanding that Latin Prep 1-3 is the equivalent of two years of high school Latin, so you could probably start book 2 or towards the end of book 1.  It could be helpful to use Latin Prep as a review from the beginning, blowing quickly through the early chapter; if the vocab's completely different, it could be troublesome to start midstream, but that's going to be an issue moving to any new series midstream, kwim?

ETA:  My point wrt using Latin Prep as review is that LP can be useful supplemental practice - that you can use it while still keeping LL as your main Latin program - kind of a sideways move, to use Latin Prep to practice and solidify the Latin already learned instead of reviewing by going back through parts of LL again (and so you can feel more free to skip and condense and otherwise just do bits and pieces of LP, because you are only using it to shore up your LL spine, not switching to it as your new spine).  It's just that you have two good Latin programs in your house right now - personally I'd try to make them work before looking to buy something else.

Go to the National Latin Exam website and print out copies of their Latin exams for previous years.  If, after finishing BBOLL 1 and 2, your students can pass the Latin Intro and Latin 1 exam, you've done Latin 1 for high school.

That's what we did and I quickly found out that we were not at Latin I level after completing BBOLL curriculum.  

So we started Wheelock's.