Menu

Learning how to write in elementary years: question on methods

marylandhsmom

Hello all,

My DD is in second grade, and I'm only now (late!) starting to think about teaching writing skills in lower elementary.  Specifically, I'm sorting through teaching methods of expository writing (vs. creative writing).  If you don't fall in the SWB WWE camp, or the CM narration/dictation/copywork camp, what other methods or ways are there to teach?  And which curriculum would help towards that end?  Do most folks here use either WWE or some form of narration/dictation/copywork to teach writing?  

And then what about creative writing?  Is there a place for it in the lower grades?  If so, what ought the goals be?

I so appreciate your time!!

Three things: you might try posting this in the K-8 Curriculum Board or the General Education Board (either would be fine) - this board is usually just people sharing their children's writing for feedback, so not as many people come here.  You will get more responses on another board!

Second, a suggestions:  a member here wrote an elementary writing curriculum called Treasured Conversations.  You might want to check out her website.  Her program uses copywork, but not narration/dictation.  She teaches grammar via analysis of copywork, then she teaches children to understand and write their own paragraphs via analyzing fictional stories, and finally teaches them to write single-paragraph reports based on nonfiction reading.  It's a different approach from the two you articulated, but very solid.  You can read about the teaching philosophy and method here:

http://www.treasuredconversations.com/why-writing-instruction-through-guided-analysis/

Third, another approach is the Bravewriter approach to writing, which is very gentle in the early years, you can read about it here: http://www.bravewriter.com/

• Like 1

Hello all,

My DD is in second grade, and I'm only now (late!) starting to think about teaching writing skills in lower elementary.  Specifically, I'm sorting through teaching methods of expository writing (vs. creative writing).  If you don't fall in the SWB WWE camp, or the CM narration/dictation/copywork camp, what other methods or ways are there to teach?  And which curriculum would help towards that end?  Do most folks here use either WWE or some form of narration/dictation/copywork to teach writing?  

And then what about creative writing?  Is there a place for it in the lower grades?  If so, what ought the goals be?

I so appreciate your time!!

Writing Strands and Understanding Writing are my favorite products for teaching children how to write well.

I don't believe there needs to be any kind of goals for "creative writing." When children learn to write well, they can apply their knowledge to any genre of writing. :-)

• Like 1

Writing Strands and Understanding Writing are my favorite products for teaching children how to write well.

I don't believe there needs to be any kind of goals for "creative writing." When children learn to write well, they can apply their knowledge to any genre of writing. :-)

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I had to say I love your siggie pic!  If it isn't new, I've not noticed it before.  Such a cutie, and such a great expression on the dog's face :)

• Like 1

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I had to say I love your siggie pic!  If it isn't new, I've not noticed it before.  Such a cutie, and such a great expression on the dog's face :)

TYVM. :001_smile: 

This is a new picture. It's the world's cutest grandchild hugging the world's sweetest French bulldog, Wrolf. Sadly, we had to say good-bye to the Frenchie about a month ago. He was about 16 years old, and had been with us for six years (he was a rescue).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Need some help here. My kid is great at math, and hence its not big trouble to get her to practice that few hours a week. She is a second grader. She has good vocab, and grammar. But, I would like to improve her reading comprehension, and get her to write articles more that few sentences. She is doing good enough at English, but gets shy to write down her thoughts, for she fears making a mistake.  :glare:  I have encouraged her to write more.  She reads chapter books, but gets bored with non fiction. Are there any guided reading level workbooks, out there? I saw a bunch of workbooks out at Barnes and Nobles, but would like to know if there are any proven ones.