Menu

Anyone use reading guide strips? (Reading Helper, etc.)

I'm wondering what the quality difference is between the two brands on Rainbow Resource's Web site. Actually, I'm wondering what the quality of either is like. Are they stiff like a ruler or thin and flexible?

036624.jpg

Reading Helper - Name brand for $1.75 each.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=reading+helper

Generic - $0.95 each.

https://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=reading+guide+strip

DD has recently taken to using a note card to underscore text that she is copying, but it would be better if she had something that blocked out text on top and bottom. Not sure whether we'll use them for reading.

I am considering clear, blue and yellow. Thoughts? Reviews? Anything?

If that is the same one I have, it is thin and flexible, but it does not seem easy to tear or break. The colored parts do thend to get scratched up though on all the brands of overlays that I have tried, but most are cheep enough to replace often. if your child does not need the colored portion, I would use something else just for that reason. You can make your own by cutting a window out of a large index card.

As far as which color is best, that really depends on the person. I would suggest going to a teacher supply store if you can and let your child pick which color works best after testing them all out.

Thanks! I'm primarily interested in the clear. The only reason I'm considering the yellow and blue is because they come in wide as well (the space highlighted is taller). I thought about this one as well.

036813.jpg

I know I could make my own, but I was hoping for something sturdier and I'm just not in the mood to make them.