Menu

multiple Test interpretation questions

Guest sgladding04

Guest sgladding04

Last year we had some testing done for my ten year old son at a local university- the testing was done by a Phd student and overseen by a regularly licensed Phd Psychologist. The real problem I'm having is that I would like the school district where I live to do a full assessment for my son to see if he qualifies for any special education services through the school district. I would like to post some of the test results here from the university assessment and see if anyone has any input as far as what they mean and if they might help my case as far as him needing speech or other therapies. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sarah

NEPY-II

Language- Word generation Semantic total score. 5th percentile

Word generation initial letter total score- 2nd percentile

Word generation semantic vs initial letter contrast 9th percentile

Visuospatial Processing-

Block construction total score- 5th percentile

Geometric puzzles 16th percentile

Picture puzzles. 9th percentile

Memory and Learning-

Every test in this category he scored in the average range

Woodcock Johnson III test-

Subtlest Composite

Calculation 0.1%. - very low

Applied problems. 25%- Average

Brief Math

Passage Comprehension- 12% Low Average

Brief Reading-

Spelling. 0.1% very low

Writing Samples- 0.2%. Very low

You wrote that the 'real problem is that you would like the school district to do a full assessment... .'

Under the IDEA laws, if a parent requests an evaluation, then the school district is required to have it carried out.

The parent doesn't need to justify why an evaluation is needed.

Only to request it.

But it does need to be requested using the formal process.

Which makes it a legal document.

The request needs to be made in writing, and importantly have the date on it.

Which you keep a copy of for yourself.

You then need a dated record of them recieving it.

Such as certified mail if you post it.

Or having them sign your copy and writing the date that you handed it to them.

The 'date' on it is important, as this sets off a time-line by which they are legally required to have the evaluations carried out by.

Where you just need to write and tell them that they will organize a full assessment.

But in regard to the test results that you provided?

I read in one of your other posts, that they didn't take account of your son's Auditory Processing Disorder diagnosis?

Which really skews the results.

Guest sgladding04

Thanks for the info. The school district has said they need proof that he's in need of an assessment which they don't have because he's not in school. I was just wondering really, not completely understanding what those results mean, if they would be something that might warrant speech therapy.

The school district does not automatically need to evaluate, simply because a parent requests.  They need to meet to determine whether there is a reason to suspect a disability that impacts educational performance.  If there is, then they need to evaluate.

Also, are those all the scores he was given?  There are some that I would expect to see in a battery that are missing, such as Letter-Word ID.  Also, was IQ testing part of the process?  

Having said all of that, the combination of 0.1 % on the spelling, and 2% on the Word Generation initial letter, should be enough to make them suspect learning disabilities.  Given that his 3 lowest scores were on the 3 paper and pencil subtests, I'd push for an OT evaluation in addition to the Speech and psychoed.

One thing to consider is that, in order to find a child eligible for special education, schools need to document that the problem is not due to a lack of appropriate instruction.  If you're meeting with them, it might be helpful to write up something that describes the instruction he has had so far, to prove that his 0.1% and 0.2% score in particular are not because you didn't teach him to write.