Menu

Derek Owens Physical Science.....

Would you do this with a 7th grader who will be doing pre-algebra at the same time?

http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PhysicalSciencePre.php

I'd like to do this with him, but I'm worried that it might be over his head.  I don't want him to get frustrated.  We're doing chemistry this year in 6th grade.  In 7th and 8th, I'd like to cover biology and physical science.  In 9th grade, we'll do Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. DO's Physical Science is similar in content to Conceptual Physics, so it seems too redundant to do those in sequential years.

This kid LOVES experiments.  He had a ball with Exploration Education years ago..... maybe he could do that again?  He did it with his older brother.  The boys were in 2nd and 5th grades at the time.  That's an idea I had not considered.  

Still, do you all have a feel for DO's Physical Science?  

Yes! Thank you!

I eventually shot him an email.  He said that of the 7th graders who have tried physical science, about half enjoyed it/did well.  Clearly, it is geared toward an older child.  What really clinched it was showing my ds snipits of the videos about topics that he would most enjoy.  When he watched them, he just didn't like the format.  It was obvious that the level of the physical science was not engaging enough for him to use and learn from.  Again.... it is really meant for someone older.  

I really wanted to use Mr. Owens' physical science!  It simply seems engaging and doable to me- very organized too.  I think I'll have to get this youngest kid finished with homeschool and then order some of the homeschool things that have peaked MY interest for me!