Menu

bathroom decoating woes...can you help?

kfeusse

We are having our master bath (if you can call it that...it's really quite small) redone.

We need a 48" white vanity.  The only ones we can afford (under $300) do not have a drawer at the top of the vanity...they all have that decorative piece and then the drawers on either side start a fair way down the front.  I am ok with that because I am shorter...but my husband, who is taller, said he doesnt' like bending over to open "his" drawer for his stuff. 

So then he suggested getting a mirrored medicine cabinet.  Which I am fine with, but he prefers to not have the ones with the tri-mirrors, because it's annoying to shave with those since his whole face doesn't fit on one of the mirrors.  (he said he would live with it, but doesn't prefer it).  I prefer ones with lights. 

I did find some that have 2 mirrored doors that slide...so that is an option...

but I was wondering if I was missing another option...or another place to look.  I basically just looked on Amazon, Menards (because we have a menards store close by) and Do It Best (because we have 2 of these stores close by too.)

if anybody knows of a place or an option that I missed, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me.

thanks.

Do you have a Home Depot nearby? We bought a mirrored medicine cabinet that has a wooden swing door opening. They make both the kind that mounts on the wall or one that you can recess into the wall to fit more flush. Ours doesn't have a light, so we mounted a light fixture above it.   Works well, and the shelves inside are quite roomy.  I'm sure Lowe's would have one, too. I'm surprised Menard's doesn't have one. 

I have no desire or talent to make something...I want to buy it (a vanity) and put it in.

I did find this mirror http://www.menards.com/main/bath/medicine-cabinets-mirrors/medicine-cabinets/30-charlotte-collection-medicine-cabinet/p-1712998-c-5964.htm

but I have never had side lighting in a bathroom.  Is it as good as having above the mirror lighting? 

I looked for unfinished vanities and found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161252232739?lpid=82&chn=ps  Those look like drawers on either side of the sink area, but no clue.  You'd have to factor in that you'll need to paint and add drawer pulls.

Really, I just googled that because I wondered if going with unfinished rather than white  might help you find something that fit the parameters.

For the medicine cabinet, I'd not worry about having the lights attached -- I'd just go with lights mounted above or to the sides.

Edited to add:  We once had a house with a regular mirror, and then an un-mirrored cabinet mounted on the wall as a medicine cabinet.  It can be done to look nice that way, depending on the mirror and cabinet.

we put in linen towers. I just measured my small bathroom & it's 52 in from wall to end of counter.  We have a small sink & little counter space but I prefer to put things away & this means it can't get cluttered.

in our set up the linen tower can't be right against the wall with the door because you need clearance for light & fan switches & you also need enough room for the swinging door to clear, so we actually have a bit of a spacer there.

our the linen tower is 15in wide...  you can get an idea of it in the bathroom galleries here (or I can show you a pic of mine)