Menu

Athens, Greece?

Aiden

I know it's a long shot, but ... we'll be moving to Athens, Greece, late this summer, just in time to start homeschooling our daughter for K. Does anyone know of any English-speaking homeschool groups (co-ops, support groups, playgroups, anything) there?

I'm sorry to deliver a disappointment for you.  Unless you have documented special needs, homeschooling is illegal in Greece. 

http://www.expatarrivals.com/greece/education-and-schools-in-greece

The country is in such economic upheaval, and these just-concluded elections may cause still more problems.  We feel for our relatives there. 

• Like 1

I'm the wife of an American diplomat. We have the legal right to homeschool anywhere in the world where we are sent on behalf of the United States Government.

It is unfortunate that there most likely will not be home school co-ops that have any Greeks in them. However, I am aware that there are non-Greek citizens there who do homeschool their children--but I'm not certain if there are exemptions to the law for them, or if they after school but call it homeschooling since they're meeting all their kids' English-language educational needs, or if they're illegally flying under the radar by homeschooling. I know these people exist, as I've met people who've met them, but I haven't been able to make contact myself. I also do know that there are a couple of other US diplomat families there who homeschool, but I've gotten the impression that their kids are significantly older than my daughter. We may end up relying on church connections for opportunities for her to make friends.

I have just begun paying attention to what's happening in Greece, in preparation for our move there. It will be an interesting time to live there, for certain. I hope your relatives are able to weather all the storms that come.

I'm not Orthodox, so I don't know of any holy places in Greece. However, I am beyond excited to do our first rotation through ancient history while living there. We may have to extend our school year to accommodate all the field trips!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Assuming no major deterioration in the situation, we are planning on being in Greece for an extended time this fall (2015) on our homeschooling-while-traveling journey, although DS will be in 9th grade.  We too are delighted to be there as we cover ancient history, which will have a heavy dose of ancient Greece (as I was an undergraduate major in ancient Greek language and literature :001_smile:).  We'd love to make contact with any other families there. 

Assuming no major deterioration in the situation, we are planning on being in Greece for an extended time this fall (2015) on our homeschooling-while-traveling journey, although DS will be in 9th grade. We too are delighted to be there as we cover ancient history, which will have a heavy dose of ancient Greece (as I was an undergraduate major in ancient Greek language and literature :001_smile:). We'd love to make contact with any other families there.

Most of the homeschoolers I've heard of there are younger than your son, if I recall correctly--the homeschooled teens I've heard of are departing this spring, I think. I was looking for a different age group, though, so there may be more teens than I'm currently aware of. We intend to arrive sometime in August and hope to start making in-person contacts soon after, to go with the email contacts I've made already. Feel free to PM me and I'll try to put you in touch with families with teens if I've found any by then :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

We are currently living in Athens -- the Kolanaki area. We are looking for friends for our children -- ages 9 - 16. Any play groups or that you can recommend? My kids are trying to learn greek, but would be more comfortable in English at present. We are open to all kids : )

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any groups for kids that age. We homeschooled our daughter for our first year here, but then realized that she was coming out of her social shell and wanted friends--which we'd been unable to provide exactly because we couldn't find any English-language groups or classes for her to join, and the other English-speaking kids we knew were busy with school all day and often traveled or attended school-related events on the weekends. After a very lonely year, we put our daughter in school so she could spend time with other kids every day. We did make contact with other homeschoolers here, but their schedules were full enough that we weren't able to spend much time with them, either. We also made some friends through church, but again, the kids are just so busy ...