Menu

W&R Chreia Question

MamaSprout

Chreia has students outline the story as part of the "Tell it Back" section.

However, there is no instruction in how to outline. There are

sample outlines in the teacher pages.

Students do *not* outline their own ideas as part of writing their own essasy.

My older DD did Fable and Narrative 1. Then I decided to skip Narrative 2 and

do Chreia. I posted a sample of her chreia on the K-8 Writing Board.

I felt that my DD already could write a narrative fairly well, but needed more

practice in other types of writing. Chreia has been challenging for her.

Are you using W&R in a co-op setting?

I'd love to hear more about it. I'm considering teaching a W&R class for my younger DD.

The outlining in Narrative II is complicated (full/all level) and absolutely abysmal instruction in my opinion. I started a thread about it when we hit it. Based on responses, including suggestions we would need to get the actual instruction elsewhere and that it isn't used at all in Chreia, I skipped it.

I don't blame you for wanting to get them onward toward more expository type pieces, and Narrative II did seem like a lot more of the same things we had done. I would teach outlining in another way, with a different resource, if that skill is important for your students.

Chreia has been challenging here so far. We did complete Narrative II. I saw nothing, though, that was meant to prepare us for the very different approach we're finding in Chreia. That said, I am glad to have moved on from Narratives.

I think I'm going to compact Narrative 2 and maybe just start Chreia at the end of the semester. If I ship the books back, I'll need to pay shipping both ways.

It is for a co-op. It's very open and go after I go through and determine what to do and what to skip (which isn't much). I do create an assignment sheet.

I like it in a group setting, but I am really starting to dislike the student workbooks. They are difficult to handle and impossible to really do any checking/ grading.

Good to know about the outlining. I do think this group needs outlining.

I hope you don't mind me asking... Why do you want to skip it?

I have a fifth grader who finished Narrative II in December and has moved on to Chreia. I wouldn't have had him skip N2, nor would I suggest it.

How did you like Narrative II for your 5th grader? I am heading that way for my dd next year. Did your son do Narrative I? 

How did you like Narrative II for your 5th grader? I am heading that way for my dd next year. Did your son do Narrative I? 

He completed WWE levels 1-4, as well as W&R books 1-3 (includes Narrative I), prior to Chreia.

I liked N2 for my little man, but I took this question directly to him for further input. He said that he's thankful for doing N2 prior to Chreia. In fact, he was reading through the previous posts and respectfully disagrees with sbgrace on a few points: 1.) He doesn't think that N2 has abysmal instruction, quite the contrary. 2.) He feels that the material in N2 has prepared him for Chreia.  ;)

All that being said, we also discuss/review the writing portions in R&S English—level 6 last year and level 7 this year—as we come across them in the normal course of our daily grammar lessons. Although we rarely do the writing activities unless they're included within the additional worksheets, we both believe that the outlining and such (covered in R&S English) has contributed to his preparedness and readiness for Chreia.

He completed WWE levels 1-4, as well as W&R books 1-3 (includes Narrative I), prior to Chreia.

I liked N2 for my little man, but I took this question directly to him for further input. He said that he's thankful for doing N2 prior to Chreia. In fact, he was reading through the previous posts and respectfully disagrees with sbgrace on a few points: 1.) He doesn't think that N2 has abysmal instruction, quite the contrary. 2.) He feels that the material in N2 has prepared him for Chreia. ;)

All that being said, we also discuss/review the writing portions in R&S English—level 6 last year and level 7 this year—as we come across them in the normal course of our daily grammar lessons. Although we rarely do the writing activities unless they're included within the additional worksheets, we both believe that the outlining and such (covered in R&S English) has contributed to his preparedness and readiness for Chreia.

This is all good to know. I don't think anyone in the group has used R&S, so I will cover outlining with a backup source.

This is all good to know. I don't think anyone in the group has used R&S, so I will cover outlining with a backup source.

I will be prepared to do this also, I think. Better to skip the outlining in Narrative II or just supplement it? What do you who've done it think?