Menu

Bible story book that was everywhere in the 70's

shawthorne44

DD is young, so her Bible lessons are one (sometimes more when one ends on an icky place) bible story at bedtime in addition to her other books.  We've read three books so far.  The first two were aimed at the extremely young crowd.  The one we are finishing up was I think really aimed at an adult audience.  But, it had been a gift, and it passed the litmus test of glossing over the Sodom story and just said "Bad People" and no mention of the daughters being offered.  Although I did have give some glossy explanations in some other places.  

What I would like for the next one is the Bible Stories book that was everywhere in the 70's.  I seem to remember a blue-ish cover.  As a kid I thought the stories were pretty good, and it was wherever there were magazines around. like at doctor's offices.  I think I had one as a kid.  But, my mom didn't keep it.  Probably because it was everywhere.  Does anyone have a clue of what book this is?  

Yep, that is it.  The 10 volume set.  I don't remember it being 10 volumes.  But, I probably thought it was multiple copies of the same book.  

That is a bit expensive.  But probably worthwhile.  Especially since we've read three already.  I imagine it will go more in-depth then the one volume sets we've read already.  

I've never liked the scripture way of bible study.  I need background and surrounding stuff to give meaning for stuff to stick in my memory.  Even in church, I get there early and read the entire section around the little bits that are being discussed.  

Hmmm, a lot of the condition notes talk about volume 1 being the "Display copy"  I wonder if it was just the volume 1 that I remembered.  

The set is looking better and better.  Just need to find a cheap price now.  I don't know why.  But $9/per book seems reasonable.  But $89 for a 10-volume set and my brain goes, "Eek!  That is a lot of money!".  

It was a ten volume set. We had it. I remember it very fondly. If I remember correctly the first volume is an overview and the other volumes are more in depth. It was one of those things where you got the first book free and then had up pay for the rest of the set. They are still at my dad's house. Thanks for reminding me of them!

I am glad I'm not the only one that liked them.   I'm just trying to get myself to pull the trigger and buy the ones on Amazon.  It is $90.  But, at one story a night it will last over a year (411 stories).  I would probably learn something too.  If I'd thought of it earlier, my Grandmother who recently died would have been tickled pink to get DD the set.  

I am glad I'm not the only one that liked them.   I'm just trying to get myself to pull the trigger and buy the ones on Amazon.  It is $90.  But, at one story a night it will last over a year (411 stories).  I would probably learn something too.  If I'd thought of it earlier, my Grandmother who recently died would have been tickled pink to get DD the set.  

We have a 2nd hand shop here that has a set of these and they are asking $150! (does that make $90 look any better? LOL)