Menu

5th grade writing - W&R or Writing Strands (or something else)?

TXBeth

Background: Sorry this is long; skip to the last paragraph to get just the main question.

DD9 was homeschooled through 3rd grade, currently attends an international school, will be homeschooled next year for 5th, and probably (but not for sure) return to international school for 6th. Writing was always a struggle for us through 3rd grade. She is good at composition, is a natural speller with a large vocabulary, but hated physically writing things and fought me every step. Being in school seems to have gotten her over that hump. She has written many one-paragraph expository essays, and just finished a semi-research report about Germany that was several paragraphs long. I think she has the potential to be a really good writer, so I want to be sure we don't let it slide during this year at home.

We will be traveling at least twice for 4-6 weeks during the first half of the year (road trips, staying in other people's houses, speaking at churches, etc.), so I am trying to streamline school a bit. I will also be homeschooling my first grade daughter and my second grade son (who has emotional/behavioral issues and needs a lot of attention).

So if you had a 5th-grader just for one year, what writing curriculum would you use? I expect that in 6th grade in the international school, they will be expecting longer essays and at least one research paper, so she needs to be ready for that quantity of writing.

Thanks for any help!!

You can assign essays and research papers without having a specific thing to teach writing.

Writing Strands teaches children how to write, and it does a fine job, but there won't be assignments for long essays and papers (until the last book; your dd would probably only do Level 4).

She will have some writing exercises based on her history, science, and literature. However, I really need this year to be as completely scripted as possible, or else it will fall apart. We are leaving Thailand for the US in June, will be reconnecting with family and friends, traveling around the US, probably living in at least a few different houses (sometimes with family or others, sometimes alone).

So I know if I have to plan out the lessons it just will not happen, especially in the second half of the year as we return to Thailand in February.

If we do Writing Strands, would you suggest Level 4? I was actually looking at level 3.

She will have some writing exercises based on her history, science, and literature. However, I really need this year to be as completely scripted as possible, or else it will fall apart. We are leaving Thailand for the US in June, will be reconnecting with family and friends, traveling around the US, probably living in at least a few different houses (sometimes with family or others, sometimes alone).

So I know if I have to plan out the lessons it just will not happen, especially in the second half of the year as we return to Thailand in February.

If we do Writing Strands, would you suggest Level 4? I was actually looking at level 3.

Level 4, because you describe her as "good at composition."

I really like that description of BJU; it seems to be exactly what I am looking for. However, in general I am opposed to buying anything from them unless it is the only thing that would work. I'll also take a look at Jump In. Anyone know of anything similar to BJU from a different publisher? Or could anyone tell me how heavily the BJU worldview permeates the language arts curriculum?

I have also considered just using Rod and Staff 5 grammar and writing, with additional writing assignments based on history, science, and literature. She did really well with R&S in 2nd and 3rd (although we did a lot orally, which I won't be able to do this time around). But I wasn't sure if that would be enough to get her ready for B&M 6th grade. R&S doesn't have very substantial samples posted anywhere.

Oops, found good r&s samples to look at right in the product page where you would expect them to be.

You can request free samples as well as a scope and sequence by calling the publisher at (606)  522-4348. I like holding the samples and S&S in my hot little hand, lol.

FYI, the web site you're looking at is not the actual publisher's, because the publisher doesn't do Internet at all. :-)

So despite the title of this thread, I'm becoming more and more convinced I need to just go with Rod and staff and apply it to history and literature as well. Yesterday I went and borrowed Rod and Staff Grammar 5 from our curriculum library and I really like it. I have also decided not to waste time on a spelling program with my natural speller, and maybe get her something for vocab instead.

Thanks, ladies, for helping me process all this!