Menu

Math suggestions for this math-phobic mom

Hello there, I have 4 children I'm currently schooling- DD16, DS11, DD7 and DD2. I have another DD21, who has flown the nest.

I have always felt that I was bad at math. In school I did okay, even thought I struggled a lot with memorization of math facts. In fact, I never really memorized them all. I could get through my math classes, but I really didn't like them. My oldest began homeschooling in 2nd grade and we curriculum hopped the entire time she was homeschooling. I guess we still are. My oldest never got a grasp on math facts and is currently doing remdial math in college. She sounds like she's a bit worried she'll have a difficult time getting through it. Thankfully, she's majoring in Journalism so she won't have to do a whole lot of math. Oldest DD has no learning problems that I know of. I mentioned that just to give a bit of history on our math failures.

My second DD is having very similar problems. Can't memorize math facts and just doesn't seem to get math. She was using Teaching Textbooks but really started disliking pre-algebra because the version we had purchased (used) no longer allowed her to enter her answers on the computer. She didn't like having to write it all out. The act of writing has always been difficult for her. She has never been diagnosed with anything but I would definitly say she has ADHD, which had really become much less prevalent until a few years ago when I had to go back to work and the kids kinda did whatever they wanted while I was gone. They started watching a lot of TV and playing a lot of video games and unfortunately for my children, that really decreases their ability to learn and focus. Thankfully, I was able to quit and come back home when my youngest was born and I've gotten the younger kiddos out of the habit but the two older ones never stopped. DD also has what looks like stealth dyslexia. I don't know if this is part of it, but she's very disorganized. Kinda like me, honestly. So anyway, back to math- DD said she no longer liked TT and I talked her in to trying Life of Fred. She backed up to Fractions because she said she doesn't understand fractions at all. She finished the book but she said it was still pretty vague and she was barely passing the bridges (tests). DH finally ordered the next few books but I'm not sure LoF is working for DD either. While we were waiting for the new LoF books for the last couple of months, I've had her practicing her basic math facts every day with Math-It. She says math doesn't make any sense.

My DS11 is using Singapore. He actually likes the idea of math but he has a lot of autistic-like issues. The biggest one right now being expressive/receptive language delays of 2-3 years, sometimes more. He has always loved counting and numbers but he's not getting the idea of regrouping in addition/subtraction. I've gone over and over it with him but it's just not working. I also have him do daily basic fact practice for 4 minutes each day but he only gets about 4-6 problems done in those 4 minutes. It is kinda hectic here with other siblings etc, but I can't send him to his room to do it because he'll just play with LEGOs instead.

I want to find a math program that will work for all my children. I don't want them to struggle with math like I did/do. I'd appreciate suggestions.

A lot of people love Ronit Bird for developing number sense, and so do I! The way she explains things is pretty wonderful, and she also uses games for most teaching which kids love. Her work is very concrete using hands-on activities for everything. Other people will have more helpful suggestions - I don't consider myself a master math teacher at all :)

About teaching math as a math-phobic - I always thought I was bad at math too. I struggled straight through to almost failing Calculus in college. I would go so far as to say I had a math phobia. It's gotten SO much better now that I'm actually teaching math... and I actually like math now! I can see how I would have had a completely different perspective on it if I'd had different experiences as a child. You never know... you may end up loving math too! 

I think it's awesome that you're homeschooling 4 kids. You are amazing!

Also, funny story about teaching math - I tutored a boy whose mom was a PhD in math. He wouldn't listen to any of her explanations and would fall apart crying, saying, "You just don't know how to do it, mom!" This was with long division. She'd roll her eyes and say, "I'm pretty sure I DO know how to do it..." LOL. Just goes to show that being a math expert does not mean you'll be able to teach your own kid! Sympathizing with their struggles will probably help them. This mom did teach other people's kids just fine... just not her own. 

Hugs, Sweetpetunia.  No time for a long post right now but I would definitely take a look at Ronit Bird books or e-books to see if your kids need to solidify basics.  Math may not make sense because critical foundational skill sets may never have been fully developed (look up things like subitization skills).

I like TT but I think for kids that struggle it can encourage a lot of guessing and just moving on.  And if they aren't writing out the math, that can come back to bite them later on.

Have you looked at Math In Focus or CLE (Christian Light Education)?  So far I have really loved both for a curriculum to pair with Ronit Bird.  Singapore is great, too, for many, but I found it harder to teach than Math in Focus (based on the same system but MiF seems more "homeschool teacher with poor math skills" friendly to me).  

CLE might work well, too, though.  If Christian content is an issue, you can just cross out the references.  There aren't many in the math program.   I would definitely give a placement test.  Free to download off the internet.  Just save the files to your computer and print them out.  In fact, even if you weren't going to use CLE, you might print out the placement tests going back to level 100 and just run your school age kids through to see where there might be gaps.  Target the gaps.  And CLE does some pretty cool stuff with targeted lessons for math facts (love the way they do the flash cards, which had always been a dismal failure here until CLE).

Another thing you might look at doing for your older is running them through all the Key to...workbooks for fractions, decimals, percents, etc.

Thank you, I will look at all the programs mentioned. I think I'd briefly heard of CLE and Math in Focus but I'd never heard of Ronit Bird. I just checked out the RB site and I'm pretty sure my girls and I all have dyscalculia. That would explain a lot. Hopefully one or more of these programs will help us get on track and I won't have to worry about the rest of my kiddos having problems with math. :)

My daughter has mild expressive/receptive language delays and CAPD.  She is doing very well with CLE.  We started this year doing CLE 2 and she is getting ready to start CLE 3. She would be a young third grader in public school.  The spiral approach has been a godsend for us.  There are timed math drills every lesson but I don't pressure her to complete them in two minutes.  The constant review is really advantageous.  We are not a religious family and there really isn't much contained in the program if that were to be an issue for you.  I hope you find the right program for you and your dc.