Menu

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Regular Algebra-based Physics Courses

Name: Introductory Physics

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian)

Where to buy: Novare

Centripetal

Level: Reg Physics

Class: Yes. Wilson Hill

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts.

Lesson Plans: Yes, on the Teacher Resource CD

Secular/Christian: See Publisher. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Program includes labs: Yes. Student information is in back of text, instructor material available separately.

Lab kit available: More difficult materials available for purchase

Math background needed: Strong prealgebra and current Algebra enrollment.

Comments: These books are not very big. 

Honors (Algebra-based) Physics Course

Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian). They use the same solutions manual.

Centripetal

Level: Honors Physics

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts that are linked from a post there.

Secular/Christian: See Publisher note. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Program includes labs: Yes. Student information is in back of text, instructor material available separately.

Lab kit available: No

Background needed: Strong Algebra 1 program (like Dolciani or Forester) AND a Physical Science course.

Comments: I feel that this book is a "step" in the publishers advanced sequence.

It assumes student has had a strong intro to physics through a math-strong Physical Science course (like theirs or Derek Owens) and is solid on Algebra 1. For example, momentum doesn't seem to be covered, it is assumed student knows this from physical science. The author is a fan of the Forester series and just looking ASPC over, I can see the connection. The last five chapters are chemistry. More about the "physics-first" sequence here: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/extras/written-resources/recommended-science-and-math-sequence/

ETA: There is an additional "vector physics" book, but I'm not sure where to place it. I don't know if it lines up with any of the AP or SAT physics tests: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/product/physics-modeling-nature/

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
review
AP Physics 2  SEMESTER 1

"Scout from University of California is a program that develops and delivers A-G approved, online classes and curriculum to students around the globe. Our course materials are designed to inspire lifelong curiosity and prepare pupils of all backgrounds and education levels for an increasingly technological world where training and job skills are mobile, asynchronous, and self-directed."

Course Prerequisite
Concurrent enrollment in Pre-calculus. Completion of an introductory Physics course, such as AP Physics 1, is recommended
(My DS took AP Physics 1 at his B&M Charter school during his Junior year.)

Provided Textbook
Openstax College Physics (free PDF)
I thought this textbook was good. Lots of detail and fairly easy reading. We used other hard-copy College Physics texts as reference.
Especially when DS asked Dear-old-Dad for help.

My DS was in the teacher led version. Initially the course teacher was a good and experienced HS Physics teacher. After just a few weeks into the course he had a family emergency and had to resign. The AP Bio teacher ran the course after that. Unfortunately that person could not answer Physics questions very well. So it basically became a self-study course from that point on.

The course had good coverage of the listed topics
SEMESTER 1  16 weeks long with week 15 being review and week 16 for the semester final

Unit 1: Thermodynamics AKA Chapter 1
 Mechanical Equivalent of Heat & Specific and Latent heat (each of these are a lesson)
 Heat Transfer and Thermal Expansion
 Ideal Gases
 Laws of Thermodynamics

Unit 2: Fluid Statics and Dynamics
 Hydrostatic pressure & Buoyancy
 Fluid Flow Continuity & Bernoulli's Equation

Unit 3: Electrostatics
 Electric Charge and Coulomb’s law
 Electric Fields
 Electric Potential

Unit 4: DC Circuits and RC Circuits: Steady State
 Electrostatics with Conductors & Capacitors
 Current Resistance Power
 DC Circuits with Batteries and Resistors & Capacitors in Circuits

I did not like the sequencing of some Thermodynamics topics before Ideal Gases. It seemed out of order and none of the College Physics textbooks that we used for reference do it that way.

UC Scout uses Canvas to deliver the online courses. It was a little confusing at first because the Problem Sets were listed under Quiz (Probably a Canvas thing). 
After the video tutorial, students are given a series of multiple choice questions (Problem Set). the student does the solution work neatly on paper. 

1) Watch Course Lesson Video (narrated material not by the teacher)
2) Do Problem Set - done as paper-and-pencil work then choose MC answer around 10 each week
3) Watch teacher video / Weekly Discussion (post questions, etc)
4) Do Lesson Quiz
5) Do Chapter Test (approx every two weeks)
6) Do Chapter check-in (scans of your written work done on paper)

The detailed syllabus did not have reading assignments from the textbook. I thought this was the weakest part of the course. Since at the beginning, DS would do one pass through the video and then attempt the Problem Set. I eventually came up with reading assignments myself and gave them to DS. Overall it seemed like too much plug and chug versus the goals of AP Physics 2.

DS took screen-shots of the video as "notes". I felt that the Problem Sets were a little light in number. 

The semester final exam was through ProctorU. My DS said that the semester final exam was somewhat harder than the quizzes and tests during the course.

According to DS there were a fair number of errors in the course MC questions so sometimes the presented choices were not valid. This is a fairly sloppy part on the UC folks. It seems like a college student could have easliy found them.

If the original teacher was there throughout the course, I would have graded this course around 3 out of 5 stars. With the substitute teacher only about 2-2.5 stars
NOTE:  DS said they hired a new Physics teacher for the next semester.

"
To receive "a-g" credit, please make sure that you are able to meet one of the following criteria: 1) Test Option: Complete the UC Scout course and earn a score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AP Physics 2 exam. 2) Wet-lab Option: Complete the UC Scout course and a series of supervised, hands-on wet labs. Make sure your school can support your learning by providing equipment and supervision for the required wet lab component.  
"
DS did not do the wet labs and will not be taking this AP exam in May. 
====================================================================
Pricing see

The teacher led version cost some money and is synchronous.

The Basic version is available for free to California residents and only $19 for others.

• 3 months later...

I don't think this is on the pinned list yet.

Name: Physics: Principles and Problems

Publisher: Glencoe

Where to buy: Both older and newer editions can be found on Amazon. The 2005 edition seems to be widely available and is user friendly.

Level: Reg Physics.

Type: Textbook

Online Course: The Potter School (Uses the newest edition): https://www.pottersschool.org/course/list/#course-1481

Teacher Resources: Available in second hand market. Solutions for 10-12 problems for each of the 30 chapters are in back of student book, making it useful as a supplemental text if using another program without the need for a solutions manual.

Secular/Christian: Secular (Potter School course would be Christian)

Program includes labs: Yes. In text labs look mostly do-able at home.

Math background needed: Potter school says concurrent enrollment and/ or completion of both Geometry and Algebra 2. Completion of Geometry (including circles and a strong intro to trig) would be ideal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what might have happened with Lisa Peck's Conceptual Physics website? It was full of so many helpful links, and I had hoped to use it next year. I'm teaching physics in our co-op, and I haven't had it since college!

ETA: I contacted the publisher of the site. It is down for maintenance and updating of copyrights. She hopes to have it back up in August. 

On 8/4/2016 at 5:38 PM, Ideal Physics said:

Educational physics app containing notes, problems, and solutions on 30 subjects

Ideal Physics is the perfect "study buddy" app for any physics or engineering university student. This app gives you the tools you need to expand your understanding of the physical sciences. Its simple navigation allows you to quickly find and delve into a particular subject area, ranging from astrophysics to quantum mechanics. Each subject area contains key equations, notes, illustrative images, practice problems with answers, and step-by-step solutions. These practice problems will provide the foundation for exceling at homework and upcoming exams.

be aware this post is probably by the vendor

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2015 at 12:58 AM, idnib said:

*Labpaq (Hands On Learning) offers physics lab kits for sale. You can fill out the form at the following link for more information:

http://holscience.co.../homeschoolers/

List of the experiments:

http://holscience.co...ptions/physics/

This company doesn't work with homeschoolers any longer. Can we remove this from the pinned science threads, please?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

This company doesn't work with homeschoolers any longer. Can we remove this from the pinned science threads, please?

I keep meaning to put aside some time to fix up/update these threads and I never seem to get to it!  So sorry about that!  I'll take out the LabPaq references right away.  Edit: Just realized the LabPaq reference isn't in a post of mine.  If you tag the author, MamaSprout, you could probably get them to remove the reference.

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 1

PAH's AP PhysicsC offering has changed a bit.

There are 2 teachers.

Jeff Lanctot  uses Physics for Scientists and Engineers (Vol 1), 4th edition by Giancoli and offers both a year-long mechanics and a combo for mech + E&M.

Dr. Jack Kernion also teaches both the year-long Mechanics and a combo class. He uses University Physics Volume 1, OpenStax Collection, Rice University. This is essentially the same class he offers directly through physics-prep, but with some additional live classes, class chat sessions and similar.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 6:18 PM, MamaSprout said:

Regular Algebra-based Physics Courses

Name: Introductory Physics

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian)

Centripetal

Level: Reg Physics

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts.

Secular/Christian: See Publisher. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Lab kit available: More difficult materials available for purchase

Math background needed: Strong prealgebra and current Algebra enrollment.

Comments: These books are not very big. 

Honors (Algebra-based) Physics Course

Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian). They use the same solutions manual.

Centripetal

Level: Honors Physics

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts that are linked from a post there.

Secular/Christian: See Publisher note. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Background needed: Strong Algebra 1 program (like Dolciani or Forester) AND a Physical Science course.

Comments: I feel that this book is a "step" in the publishers advanced sequence.

It assumes student has had a strong intro to physics through a math-strong Physical Science course (like theirs or Derek Owens) and is solid on Algebra 1. For example, momentum doesn't seem to be covered, it is assumed student knows this from physical science. The author is a fan of the Forester series and just looking ASPC over, I can see the connection. The last five chapters are chemistry. More about the "physics-first" sequence here: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/extras/written-resources/recommended-science-and-math-sequence/

ETA: There is an additional "vector physics" book, but I'm not sure where to place it. I don't know if it lines up with any of the AP or SAT physics tests: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/product/physics-modeling-nature/

Friends, I would like to advise you of a very high quality and professional service that helped me with my homework https://assignmentbro.com/us/assignment-writing-service When I'm lazy or just don't have time for work, I order essays or other writing from these guys.

Thank you so much for sharing. It's very helpful to me.

Edited by Abram Cook

10 minutes ago, Abram Cook said:

Thank you so much for sharing. It's very helpful to me.

You are welcome. Definitely check out some reviews this board and on Memoria Press' forum for this book. It seems to be best done with a class. Both Memoria Press and Wilson Hill offer it.

We started it independently and switched to something else.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/26/2015 at 12:34 AM, Dicentra said:

Name: MrBobPhysics 

Publisher: Mr Bob (MIT grad)

Where to buy:http://mrbobphys.simplesite.com/

On 1/26/2015 at 12:34 AM, Dicentra said:

Name: Physics Matters
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish Education (Singapore)
Where to buy: http://www.singaporemath.com/product_p/maphytx

These appear to be broken, although the latter is available at rainbowresource.

Should we include the MIT OCW Scholar courses? They're calculus-based and could be compatible with AP C with a prep book. They include lecture videos, lecture notes, problem sets, and an online textbook unless mentioned otherwise

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-01sc-classical-mechanics-fall-2016/ (no lecture notes)
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-02-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2007/  (no video lectures)

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-02-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2019/ (no problem sets or lecture notes)

If books on their own can warrant a listing, then I'd recommend this for honors physics, and this for a conceptual physics supplement (not a complete curriculum)

Edited by Malam
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:41 AM, Malam said:

These appear to be broken, although the latter is available at rainbowresource.

Should we include the MIT OCW Scholar courses? They're calculus-based and could be compatible with AP C with a prep book. They include lecture videos, lecture notes, problem sets, and an online textbook unless mentioned otherwise

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-01sc-classical-mechanics-fall-2016/ (no lecture notes)
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-02-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2007/  (no video lectures)

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-02-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2019/ (no problem sets or lecture notes)

If books on their own can warrant a listing, then I'd recommend this for honors physics, and this for a conceptual physics supplement (not a complete curriculum)

Thanks, Malam!  Mark T had taken over updating the physics thread but even if it doesn't get updated, it's good to have the info here in your post. 🙂

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What about Sabbath Mood Homeschool? 

Name: HS Physics Part 1, Part 2, or Part 3

Publisher: Sabbath Mood Homeschool

Where to buy: High School Science Curriculum | Sabbath Mood Homeschool

Level: Regular

Type: Textbook

Additional Materials: 

Teacher Resources:

Lesson Plans: Yes

Secular/Christian: Both offered

Program includes labs: Yes

Lab kit available: No, but a supplies list can be previewed on the website

Math background needed: For credit as Physics, Algebra 2 is required. For credit as Conceptual Physics, no math is specified.

Comments: All three "parts," each of which is only one twelve-week term, are required for one high school credit. The author recommends doing one term each year of Physics, Chemistry, and Earth Science, but all three parts of any course can be completed in one year. Also, each part requires a different guide, but all three of them use the same spine. 

*Note: We have not used this program, so I can not vouch for its quality or level of rigor.