[email protected]

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Exploring Creation with Physics.

Apologia

Only a basic understanding of Trigonometry is required and very little at that. This book does include labs that can be done at home.

• Dicentra likes this

#52 MNorris

MNorris

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

Has anyone used the Saxon Physics Laboratory Experiments supplement? If so, was the materials list extensive, expensive, or readily found household objects? 

Thank you!

#53 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1736 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Regular Algebra-based Physics Courses

Name: Introductory Physics

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian)

Where to buy: Novare

Centripetal

Level: Reg Physics

Class: Yes. Wilson Hill

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts.

Lesson Plans: Yes, on the Teacher Resource CD

Secular/Christian: See Publisher. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Program includes labs: Yes. Student information is in back of text, instructor material available separately.

Lab kit available: More difficult materials available for purchase

Math background needed: Strong prealgebra and current Algebra enrollment.

Comments: These books are not very big. 

Honors (Algebra-based) Physics Course

Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian). They use the same solutions manual.

Where to buy: Novare

Centripetal

Level: Honors Physics

Class: Yes. Wilson Hill

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts that are linked from a post there.

Lesson Plans: Yes, on the Teacher Resource CD

Secular/Christian: See Publisher note. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Program includes labs: Yes. Student information is in back of text, instructor material available separately.

Lab kit available: No

Background needed: Strong Algebra 1 program (like Dolciani or Forester) AND a Physical Science course.

Comments: I feel that this book is a "step" in the publishers advanced sequence.

It assumes student has had a strong intro to physics through a math-strong Physical Science course (like theirs or Derek Owens) and is solid on Algebra 1. For example, momentum doesn't seem to be covered, it is assumed student knows this from physical science. The author is a fan of the Forester series and just looking ASPC over, I can see the connection. The last five chapters are chemistry. More about the "physics-first" sequence here: https://www.novaresc...-math-sequence/

ETA: There is an additional "vector physics" book, but I'm not sure where to place it. I don't know if it lines up with any of the AP or SAT physics tests: https://www.novaresc...odeling-nature/

Edited by MamaSprout, 19 August 2017 - 10:22 AM.

• RootAnn, Dicentra, EmilyGF and 1 other like this

#54 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1736 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:10 AM

Physics Fundamentals from Georgia PBS now have teacher materials behind a paywall rather having to contact them. $20. https://sellfy.com/p/brgJ/

• Dicentra, TarynB and MarkT like this

#55 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1736 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Video tutoring for Knight College Physics: http://littleshop.ph..._Solutions.html

• MarkT likes this

#56 MarkT

MarkT

Empress Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:41 AM

review
AP Physics 2  SEMESTER 1

"Scout from University of California is a program that develops and delivers A-G approved, online classes and curriculum to students around the globe. Our course materials are designed to inspire lifelong curiosity and prepare pupils of all backgrounds and education levels for an increasingly technological world where training and job skills are mobile, asynchronous, and self-directed."

Course Prerequisite
Concurrent enrollment in Pre-calculus. Completion of an introductory Physics course, such as AP Physics 1, is recommended
(My DS took AP Physics 1 at his B&M Charter school during his Junior year.)

Provided Textbook
Openstax College Physics (free PDF)
I thought this textbook was good. Lots of detail and fairly easy reading. We used other hard-copy College Physics texts as reference.
Especially when DS asked Dear-old-Dad for help.

My DS was in the teacher led version. Initially the course teacher was a good and experienced HS Physics teacher. After just a few weeks into the course he had a family emergency and had to resign. The AP Bio teacher ran the course after that. Unfortunately that person could not answer Physics questions very well. So it basically became a self-study course from that point on.

The course had good coverage of the listed topics
SEMESTER 1  16 weeks long with week 15 being review and week 16 for the semester final

Unit 1: Thermodynamics AKA Chapter 1
 Mechanical Equivalent of Heat & Specific and Latent heat (each of these are a lesson)
 Heat Transfer and Thermal Expansion
 Ideal Gases
 Laws of Thermodynamics

Unit 2: Fluid Statics and Dynamics
 Hydrostatic pressure & Buoyancy
 Fluid Flow Continuity & Bernoulli's Equation

Unit 3: Electrostatics
 Electric Charge and Coulomb’s law
 Electric Fields
 Electric Potential

Unit 4: DC Circuits and RC Circuits: Steady State
 Electrostatics with Conductors & Capacitors
 Current Resistance Power
 DC Circuits with Batteries and Resistors & Capacitors in Circuits

I did not like the sequencing of some Thermodynamics topics before Ideal Gases. It seemed out of order and none of the College Physics textbooks that we used for reference do it that way.

UC Scout uses Canvas to deliver the online courses. It was a little confusing at first because the Problem Sets were listed under Quiz (Probably a Canvas thing). 
After the video tutorial, students are given a series of multiple choice questions (Problem Set). the student does the solution work neatly on paper. 

1) Watch Course Lesson Video (narrated material not by the teacher)
2) Do Problem Set - done as paper-and-pencil work then choose MC answer around 10 each week
3) Watch teacher video / Weekly Discussion (post questions, etc)
4) Do Lesson Quiz
5) Do Chapter Test (approx every two weeks)
6) Do Chapter check-in (scans of your written work done on paper)

The detailed syllabus did not have reading assignments from the textbook. I thought this was the weakest part of the course. Since at the beginning, DS would do one pass through the video and then attempt the Problem Set. I eventually came up with reading assignments myself and gave them to DS. Overall it seemed like too much plug and chug versus the goals of AP Physics 2.

DS took screen-shots of the video as "notes". I felt that the Problem Sets were a little light in number. 

The semester final exam was through ProctorU. My DS said that the semester final exam was somewhat harder than the quizzes and tests during the course.

According to DS there were a fair number of errors in the course MC questions so sometimes the presented choices were not valid. This is a fairly sloppy part on the UC folks. It seems like a college student could have easliy found them.

If the original teacher was there throughout the course, I would have graded this course around 3 out of 5 stars. With the substitute teacher only about 2-2.5 stars
NOTE:  DS said they hired a new Physics teacher for the next semester.

"
To receive "a-g" credit, please make sure that you are able to meet one of the following criteria: 1) Test Option: Complete the UC Scout course and earn a score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AP Physics 2 exam. 2) Wet-lab Option: Complete the UC Scout course and a series of supervised, hands-on wet labs. Make sure your school can support your learning by providing equipment and supervision for the required wet lab component.  
"
DS did not do the wet labs and will not be taking this AP exam in May. 
====================================================================
Pricing see

The teacher led version cost some money and is synchronous.

The Basic version is available for free to California residents and only $19 for others.

#57 GeorgiaH

GeorgiaH

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

Outstanding review! Thanks for taking the time to include not only the detailed information about the course, but also your personal critique.  :hurray:

• MamaSprout and MarkT like this

#58 MarkT

MarkT

Empress Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

Outstanding review! Thanks for taking the time to include not only the detailed information about the course, but also your personal critique.  :hurray:

thank you for the compliment

It also includes (a lot) of DS' critique as well

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: physics, ap physics, high school physics, physics resources