Menu

Storing Games?

NavyMommy

I'm looking for ideas on storing my kids games. They have a ton of games that they play pretty regularly. The boxes are oversized  and don't store well on the book cases in the playroom (We have a large Ikea Expedit 5x5). How  have  you stored your  games so they are easily accessible, but look okay, I'm really working on getting the bookcase  organized and visually appealing so the kids can get to their things and schoolwork is organized. 

Thanks!!

The biggest thing I've done is to rubber band each box and store them like books on their sides. So when one gets removed the whole pile doesn't move.Made a HUGE difference.

This is what I do as well, and you can get the rubber bands at office supply stores.  They don't really have to be that big.  It really is one of those life-changing organizational solutions.

I did something totally scandalous - I got rid of the boxes, put the playing pieces/cards/etc in little labeled drawers, and put the game boards together in a bin (upright so you can flip through the boards to get to the right one). There are a couple that it didn't work well for, so those are still in the original boxes. It is so much easier for my kids to get the games all put away nicely and if a piece is found somewhere, we don't have to dig through a giant pile of boxes, open up the right one, fit the piece in its place, and then hope the box gets put away again. Now we just open the little drawer and plop it in.

You can google "raising lemons game closet organization" - that's where I got the idea.

I turned our living room coat closet into the game closet. The games we play most often are on the top shelf. I have two stacks on each side of the closet floor stacked largest on bottom to smallest on top. One is educational games, and the other is games we don't play as often. I have a hanging shoe organizer in the middle for very small boxed games and card games. 

We also got rid of boxes and stored the pieces in several large tackle boxes with labeled compartments for each game.  It worked great and we still have a few stored like that.  However, when we moved to this house we created a game closet under our stairs.  We have a 3' by 2' door that opens to under our stairs.  We have shelves installed between the stairs and we store all of our games there.  We also put hooks up and hang bags from them that hold bulky pieces- Jenga, Rush Hour, and other games like that.  My husband and sons are big gamers and we have lots of obscure games that have huge boxes.  My husband tries to keep the boxes in good shape.  Games that we can buy just about anywhere can be broken down if we need to but we try to avoid that now that we have a space for the games.

I did something totally scandalous - I got rid of the boxes, put the playing pieces/cards/etc in little labeled drawers, and put the game boards together in a bin (upright so you can flip through the boards to get to the right one). There are a couple that it didn't work well for, so those are still in the original boxes. It is so much easier for my kids to get the games all put away nicely and if a piece is found somewhere, we don't have to dig through a giant pile of boxes, open up the right one, fit the piece in its place, and then hope the box gets put away again. Now we just open the little drawer and plop it in.

You can google "raising lemons game closet organization" - that's where I got the idea.

I saw this on Pinterest and it is sooo tempting. DH isn't on board with it because "what if we want to sell them?". Grrr.

We put hooks on the hallway wall for coats and installed shelves in the coat closet. We put in a lot of shelves to keep piles small.  I also store math manipulatives and other educational toys in the closet.  It is handy so items get put away promptly.   

When games were supposed to be stored in the basement, I always ended up with a stack in the living room waiting for someone to carry them back downstairs.  I found stray pieces all over the house.   I still find stray pieces in the living room from time to time.  Now it is just a few steps to the closet to put them away properly.