Menu

Looking for ethnically/racially diverse picture books

Suggestions of titles and/or authors?  I'm not looking for books about diversity/tolerance/justice issues. Rather, just for books that have non-white main characters.  Something along the lines of Jack Ezra Keats' books.  

Picture books preferred - longer/more complex is good. These will be read-alouds for DS 7 - a very beginning reader. Any chapter book suggestions would be appreciated too. I'd file them away for the future.

I've found some that meet this requirement - but most of these are set in other countries, not in the US, and are really 'about' other countries/cultures/myths/etc.  

Okay, this is the edited version of the list I sent to my sister. I cut out or italicized (depending on length and complexity) all the short books that are more appropriate for younger children than to read aloud to a seven year old. Some of these I've given away, so I don't quite remember the age level.

Books by Ezra Jack Keats

Ben's Trumpet

The Umbrella (Jan Brett)

Paperboy

On My Way to Buy Eggs

Down the Road

Wings

Lookin' For Bird in the Big City

Metal Man

The Moon Over Star

My Cat Copies Me

Matthew and Tilly

The Chicken Chasing Queen of Lamar County

Bright Path: Young Jim Thorpe

Charlie Parker Played BeBop

The Old Man and His Door

Too Many Tamales

Two Mrs. Gibsons

Bee-Bim Bop!

Where on Earth is My Bagel?

Many of the Munsch books

The Name Jar

No Dinner!

The Jamela books

Do Like Kyla

Lon Po Po

The Hello, Goodbye Window

Pinkney's The Nightingale

Pinkney's Red Riding Hood

Sam and the Tigers

The Story of Little Babaji (this one and Sam are retellings of, um, a book by Helen Bannerman, but with updated language illustrations. Sam is by far the better one, if you ask me.)

Talkin' About Bessie

Tallchief: America's Prima Ballerina

Misty Copeland's Firebird

Apple Pie Fourth of July

The Ugly Vegetables

Bigmama's

I, Matthew Henson

The Other Mozart

Baseball Saved Us

Shortcut

Visiting Langston

Dad, Jackie, and Me

Wilma Unlimited

Umbrella by Taro Yashima

Nothing But Trouble

Lily Brown's Paintings

Precious and the Boo Hag

The Quilt

A Coyote Columbus Story

Sukey and the Mermaid

Mirandy and Brother Wind

Flossie and the Fox

The Rain Stomper

Jingle Dancer

Come On, Rain

The Talking Eggs

Coyote in Love With a Star

Sam and the Tigers

Little Babaji

Sugar Cane

Just Us Women

The books by Rachel Isadora, especially the fairy tale books

Pretty Salma

The Apple-Pip Princess

Big Red Lollipop

There Are No Scary Wolves

A Chair for my Mother

I Like Myself!

Ten, Nine, Eight

Max Found Two Sticks

Cherries and Cherry Pie

How My Parents Learned to Eat

Corduroy

Chicken Sunday

Jojo's Flying Sidekick

Jazz Baby

Aunt Flossie's Hats

The Wonderful Towers of Watts

Raising Dragons

Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm

On Mother's Lap

Mama, Do You Love Me? (and sequels)

I Love My Hair!

Feast for 10

Jordi's Star

More, More, More Said the Baby

Elizabeti's Doll

The Hatseller and the Monkeys

I can later compile a list of chapter books if you like.

• Like 5

Corduroy and A Pocket for Corduroy by Don Freeman

A Chair for My Mother

A Child's Book of Poems

My daughter had several Native American story books as well. I don't recall titles right now and she's not sound enough asleep that I could sneak into her room at the moment. They sort of fall into the folklore/myth category though.

• Like 1

:)

I cheated. I happen to have a list on my computer of books we own or owned, so I just took from there. I could come up with a more complete list if I included library books as well, or other books we just happened to enjoy (I think I forgot Seven Chinese Sisters, but, you know, Grace Lin is just generally awesome) but I thought I'd start off with the shortlist.

• Like 1

Just a question...Do you mean these are readers for your child, or books for you to read to him? It seems you may be using the word "read aloud" to mean books he reads aloud to you.

The reason I ask is that picture books are not always easy to read, as a beginning reader may need. Just be aware that just because a book is a picture book does not mean it is necessarily for a new reader. They can be full of rich and even phonetically difficult words.

• Like 2

Lee and Low is a publishing company that publishes diverse children's books. Their entire backlist is great stuff and will include a lot of newer books:

https://www.leeandlow.com/

The Coretta Scott King Award is given to children's books that positively depict African-Americans. There is a middle grades winner and illustrated winner for each year it's been given:

http://www.ala.org/emiert/cskbookawards

In addition to authors like Ezra Jack Keats, who wrote about diverse characters, I like to also be sure I'm including books by diverse authors as well. Non-white Picture book authors I like include Carole Boston Weatherford, Kadir Nelson, Andrea Pinkney, Faith Ringgold, Grace Lin, Linda Sue Park, Uma Krishnaswami... just off the top of my head...

• Like 3

Tomas and the Library Lady by Mora

All the Colors of the Earth by Hanamanka

Trina Schart Hyman included people of color in her work a great deal, in part because she wanted to represent the faces of people who looked like her Cameroonian-American grandchildren. One book that comes to mind is her re-illustration of John Updike's A Child's Calendar.

Pragmatic Mom covers this topic a great deal; here is her relevant blog category:

http://www.pragmaticmom.com/category/my-best-book-lists/people-of-color-childrens-lit/

• Like 1

Just a question...Do you mean these are readers for your child, or books for you to read to him? It seems you may be using the word "read aloud" to mean books he reads aloud to you.

The reason I ask is that picture books are not always easy to read, as a beginning reader may need. Just be aware that just because a book is a picture book does not mean it is necessarily for a new reader. They can be full of rich and even phonetically difficult words.

Hi Chris - I meant books I'd read-aloud to DS. Thanks for checking! The complex language in stories in picture books is something I really like - it means we can still be cuddling up reading beautiful books on the couch, even though we've started to add chapter books. DS is not "picking up" reading easily - so the books we go with for him to practice are mostly phonics based readers or simple stories with lots of words he knows.  Keeping reading interesting and fun though is high on my priority list. And I can't help having a stealth agenda at the same time...hence this list!

Yet more good suggestions y'all - thanks! 

Farrar - I really appreciate the authors list - I thought of the diverse books/diverse authors point, but just wanted stuff to choose from, so didn't want to restrict.  Little did I know this board would produce so many great book suggestions!   Another thing about pursuing author/illustrators is that consistency seems to go over well with DS, so we tend to find a good author/illustrator and read several of their books, until we've had our fill.  

• Like 2

Anything by Allen Say, Walter Dean Myers (he does picture books and chapter books), and Jacqueline Woodson. JW does young adult as well but they cover a wide range of topics so you may want to preview them. Her picture books are sweet and poignant. I love Show Way.

• Like 1

Sleeping Bear Press has two picture book series which are beautifully illustrated; the writing is of even, thoughtful quality. 

1) Tales of Young Americans - stories of American children from different pivotal moments. Some titles fit your criteria - l"Paper Son" (Chinese immigrant experience), "Pappy's Handkerchief" (an African American family's move to Oklahoma), The Listeners (life on a plantation), The Tsunami Quilt (Japanese Americans in Hawaii).

http://sleepingbearpress.com/series/82-tales-of-young-americans

2) Tales of the World - told from the viewpoint of children in different parts of the world. 

http://sleepingbearpress.com/series/81-tales-of-the-world

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to come back to this thread to say thanks - we've been having fun with books on the lists y'all have generated all year!  (And kept my county's interlibrary loan busy..)

Lots of the trickster tales have been really fun - like Precious and the Boo Hag, Flossie and the Fox.  My boy loves reading about kids getting the upper hand in life! 

So many of the suggestions here have been so good  - we have read intentionally about racial/ethnic equality and struggles (well, lightly - for a 7 yo) [inter-racial family here] - but I really wanted a wealth of books with non-white/non-American characters just going about life - like 'mainstream' characters get to do.  

Thanks everyone for taking the time to contribute to this list.  I've made my own master copy to pass on to others when the time comes! 

• Like 3

Recent article about Latino Children's books published in 2015:

http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/2015/04/03/the-rise-in-latino-childrens-literature-a-2015-accounting/

(I'm currently reading Echo and its REALLY good.)

An Expanded Cultural Diversity Booklist -- books for all different grae levels. Not specifically picture.

http://www.slj.com/2014/05/diversity/an-expanded-cultural-diversity-booklist-slj-readers-respond/

Why Mosquito's Buzz in People's Ears

Cherries and Cherry Pits

Carlos Light the Farolita

Seeds of Change

Dumpling Soup

Planting the Trees of Kenya

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

I have read quite a few lately but I cannot think of the titles. My local library is good about putting diverse books and books on different culture on display recently.

molly bang books

storm in the night 

corduroy

mrs. katz and tush

--these are used with FIAR...I always liked their inclusion of different cultures and ethnicities.  They have several others, but I'd say they focus more on slavery or different countries.