Menu

SAT/ACT Accommodations question

marbel

Hoping this hasn't been discussed - couldn't find anything so please forgive if this is repetitive (and include a link to discussion if possible!)

Last fall my son had a neuropsychological evaluation that determined some LDs and other issues, one of which is slow processing time.  The report indicates that a reasonable testing accommodation would be extended time (time and a half).

I have the NP report, and obtained the form from College Board to request the accommodation for SAT.  Haven't contacted ACT yet. 

Now I'm wondering though.  My son took the PSAT last year and did poorly on the math (the other areas are not of concern). We have been talking about SAT and ACT and I asked him if he thought he'd have done better on the math if he'd had more time.  He didn't think so.  He said he did everything he could; the problem was he just did not know enough of the math.  (This is unsurprising as he is still working Algebra 1.)   He said he filled the time but really he had done all he could do and more time would not have helped.

He is the kind of person who would be frustrated to be sitting there, finished with the test, but having all this extra time.  I see that I can request extra time for only the math portion, but I am not sure how that really works on the day of the test.  My understanding is that our local high school has separate groups of kids taking the tests, so he would be in the 1.5 time group for all tests.  This could drive him nuts, and of course it makes the whole day longer.

Does anyone know if I can request the accommodation, but not use it the first time he takes the test - wait and see if he feels he could have done better with  more time, and then on the 2nd attempt, use the accommodation?   I assume his name will be flagged as having accommodations, so it might seem odd that they are not used, right? 

We would probably have enough time between tests to wait and request the accommodation after the first try, but I wouldn't want to bank on it being approved in time.  He is working hard on math now to improve his skills, though how far he can get before/during his senior year is unknown. 

I just don't want to make an irrevocable mistake.  I also don't want to set him up for major frustration on a testing day and risk messing up the areas in which he is strong.

Any comments? 

Just a heads up--a psychologist I know, who deals with helping kids get accommodations for the SAT/ACT all the time, says that if the kid has taken one of their tests unaccommodated previously and scored in the average range that they will reject the request.  I don't know if this is true, but since he's taken the PSAT, I thought I should mention it.

My son had accommodations for both the SAT and the ACT.  He took the tests at the local CC and was the only one in the room each time (there were no other kids with accommodations) so he did not need to stay after he was done.  

Just a heads up--a psychologist I know, who deals with helping kids get accommodations for the SAT/ACT all the time, says that if the kid has taken one of their tests unaccommodated previously and scored in the average range that they will reject the request.  I don't know if this is true, but since he's taken the PSAT, I thought I should mention it.

My son had accommodations for both the SAT and the ACT.  He took the tests at the local CC and was the only one in the room each time (there were no other kids with accommodations) so he did not need to stay after he was done.  

My son took the ACT at a local university and was also the only one in the room with extended time. The way the test works is that the student moves from one section of the test to the next at his/her own pace. They take a break half way through, then he left when he finished. The timing is totally controlled by the student with just one big block tracked by the proctor to be used or not as the student wishes. 

Ds took the PSAT without accommodations and when we requested accommodations the college board denied him extended time in spite of extensive documentation historically through public schools and current testing. The only accommodation he received was extended time and a keyboard (we had no significant documentation for this need) on all essays which are not a part of the PSAT. I have to admit I'm going "hmmm" here.

I, too, have heard that if a student takes the test without accommodations and scores even in the low average (but still average) range then future accommodations are likely to be denied irregardless of documentation.  But I do not have first hand experience with this.

OP, is there a way you can inquire if he will be allowed to go at his own pace?  Leave when he is done?  If he can do that then the extra time might be a big help.  

How solid is he on the math that he has already been doing?  Does he need additional accommodations, like a multiplication chart or procedures chart?  Would it even be possible to ask for such a thing?  

Does your son know how to go back and double check for "careless" mistakes after he finishes a test?  I will be honest, on math SAT I was struggling just to finish in time but even if I had had extra time math was so unpleasant for me and I was so insecure I probably would not have gone back to check my answers.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I finally realized slowing down, rereading the problem several times then answering THEN going back afterwards if there is time and double checking each step can be a HUGE help in catching errors.  I wish I had realized that when I was still in school.  Just telling me didn't help.  I had to to see it for myself.  Maybe you could help him practice that with just a couple of problems each day?

Thanks for all the responses.

I looked back at his PSAT and he did score below average on math, but not by too much.  (Actually it is surprising because he said there was a lot of math that he simply could not do so it seems that his percentile would be much lower.) 

I was focusing more on the recommendation for accommodations than on his actual score.  The only accommodation for testing is extra time. 

He is doing pretty well on the math he is doing now, but doing Alg 1 in the 2nd semester of Jr year seems like he'd be at a huge disadvantage on the SAT or ACT.  He cannot move faster.  He'll finish Alg 1 by the end of this school year.  I was thinking he'd take the SAT in May or June (if I can find a place that does the June test) so he can take it again as a senior. 

Our local CC is not a testing center.  Our public schools are not particularly homeschool friendly so they are not going to advise me.   He has done a lot of standardized testing and he does know to go back and check, though sometimes I think he just gives up.   He does make a fair number of careless mistakes but that problem is getting better as he slows down and becomes more focuses and confident.

There is a local-ish private school that specializes in LD.  I'm going to call them on Monday and see if they can give me any guidance.  They are not on the CB or ACT test centers list but maybe they will have some advice re: accommodation.   I might also call a local educational consultant and see what she has to offer in the way of advice. 

He is getting a lot of mail now from colleges based on taking the PSAT.  He knows those mailings don't mean much, but it is opening his eyes to possibilities that he hadn't considered.  (You know, even though his mom and dad talked about it.  :-) )   But increased interest is helping with motivation but he still can't learn math any faster! 

Thanks so much; it's all helpful!

Well, son's homeschool cover requires annual testing with either SAT-10, PLAN, or ACT/SAT.  I signed him up for the PLAN, but it was cancelled so he walked in cold for the PSAT to meet the cover's requirement.  This was last OCT.  I received his new NP report about mid-Sept so I didn't bother attempting accommodation at the time as it would have been useless.  I chose PSAT rather than SAT-10 because I didn't wish to pi$$ away three days of our lives in the spring.  The PSAT is a rather short test.  I see now that I have made a major mistake.  

My unaccommodated, unprepared 9th grade student scored higher than 74% sophomores in writing skills, 57% higher in critical reading (again sophomores), and only 34% higher than sophomores in math.  What is low average exactly?   I have a feeling that we ain't gettin' college board accommodations for SAT/ACT.  :mad:

I am drinking margaritas tonight.

My unaccommodated, unprepared 9th grade student scored higher than 74% sophomores in writing skills, 57% higher in critical reading (again sophomores), and only 34% higher than sophomores in math.  What is low average exactly?   I have a feeling that we ain't gettin' college board accommodations for SAT/ACT.  :mad:

ACT will not hold prior tests against you. Ds took the PLAN with no accommodations and scored high enough to place into early admission at the local state U with a predicted ACT in the high 20s. They still gave him extended time on the ACT which allowed him to blow away that predicted score :).

The ACT board is WAY friendlier about accommodations. You can print the form, you don't have to call and request it. I used old documentation, not current. As long as you have documentation that has been around awhile (more than 2 years I think it is), then they grant accommodations unquestioningly. Easy peasy. Love ACT Board.

ACT will not hold prior tests against you. Ds took the PLAN with no accommodations and scored high enough to place into early admission at the local state U with a predicted ACT in the high 20s. They still gave him extended time on the ACT which allowed him to blow away that predicted score :).

The ACT board is WAY friendlier about accommodations. You can print the form, you don't have to call and request it. I used old documentation, not current. As long as you have documentation that has been around awhile (more than 2 years I think it is), then they grant accommodations unquestioningly. Easy peasy. Love ACT Board.

Thank-you! I always thought the College Board covered all accommodated testing. ACT should be no problem because we live in the Southeast and ACT is common.

Thank-you! I always thought the College Board covered all accommodated testing. ACT should be no problem because we live in the Southeast and ACT is common.

Thankfully not. The ACT is it's own monster with it's own set of accommodations and procedures for requesting them. 

That said, margaritas are still an acceptable plan for the evening. Can I come over?

I wouldn't write off the College Board yet. My son took the PSAT unaccommodated as a 10th grader, and his scores were much higher than average for sophomores. They would be considered average (on 2 sections) to somewhat above average (on one section) for juniors. This information was available to the CB when they processed his application for accommodations. Our requested accommodations were granted. He used his accommodations when he took the SAT during the fall of his senior year.

I am not sure what to think about CB's decision making process. It seems like some who should qualify aren't getting approved. OTOH, I don't know that for sure because I haven't seen the documentation for individual students other than my own son.

I wouldn't write off the College Board yet. My son took the PSAT unaccommodated as a 10th grader, and his scores were much higher than average for sophomores. They would be considered average (on 2 sections) to somewhat above average (on one section) for juniors. This information was available to the CB when they processed his application for accommodations. Our requested accommodations were granted. He used his accommodations when he took the SAT during the fall of his senior year.

I am not sure what to think about CB's decision making process. It seems like some who should qualify aren't getting approved. OTOH, I don't know that for sure because I haven't seen the documentation for individual students other than my own son.

Thank-you for this.