Menu

My daughter took Pre-Physics and Pre-Chemistry in a 3-week summer term last year; she was finishing 6th grade at the time.  Both teachers were kind, organized, and ran their classes efficiently.  The Pre-Chemistry class was more intensive than the Pre-Physics class.  We were pleased with the courses, but our favorite of the two was Pre-Chemistry (because of both content and intensity).  My daughter finished another course this fall with L.A., and is currently taking a fourth class there.  I am planning to have her take Chemistry this fall with the same teacher who taught the Pre-Chemistry class. 

My daughter took Pre-Physics and Pre-Chemistry in a 3-week summer term last year; she was finishing 6th grade at the time.  Both teachers were kind, organized, and ran their classes efficiently.  The Pre-Chemistry class was more intensive than the Pre-Physics class.  We were pleased with the courses, but our favorite of the two was Pre-Chemistry (because of both content and intensity).  My daughter finished another course this fall with L.A., and is currently taking a fourth class there.  I am planning to have her take Chemistry this fall with the same teacher who taught the Pre-Chemistry class. 

Thx.

I have one son taking English III this year with Mrs. Whitlock.  He's in 7th grade. 

Things I love about it:

-Mrs. Whitlock is an excellent teacher.  My son understands her.  He has gone from failing grammar (even though we've been studying grammar for all 7 years of homeschool) to getting 100% on 4-level analysis quizzes.

-Mrs. Whitlock's composition corrections are specific and detailed and she is careful to tell my son how he can do better.

-The class uses MCT products.

-The books he is reading are not the totally depressing, sad, verbose books he read through Veritas Press.

-The required reading has not been outrageously expensive.  There are Kindle or free versions of almost everything.

-The actual grammar covered is interesting, and includes stuff I never learned.  Studying grammar with MCT has changed the way my son writes, for the better.

-The class has online office hours that my son always attends for extra help from his teacher.

-Tests and/or quizzes every week.

-Well-run, efficient and organized administration that can help me with just about anything.

-When the classes are on sale, it's a very inexpensive way to take a high-quality class.

Things I would change:

-There aren't a lot of writing assignments.  Writing is a weak subject for my son, and I hoped this class would have him writing more.

-Not enough reading.  My son has loved the books, and for the first time EVER, wishes there was more to read for the class.  I have added books for him, like Huckleberry Finn after he read Tom Sawyer.  When we used Veritas, my son only liked one book he had to read, but this year, he enjoys the reading.  It's made a huge difference for him.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied.  I have signed up for more 'generic' semesters when they've been on sale.  Next year, I'll have a son in 6th, and I plan for him to take history and English through Landry.  I also plan on having my 8th grade son take English and history through Landry next year.  When 'generic' semesters are on sale again, I'm planning to buy more.  I want to add science to the classes my kids take through Landry.

I'll be able to share more next year at this time, after we've had different teachers and different subjects.  I have very high hopes, though. 

• Like 3

My twin DD"s are taking English II this year, our second year with Landry.  Overall I'm satisfied.  

To comment on Randoms Pros: The reading is slow for one twin, but right on for the other.  The writing is picking up but still isn't enough for us.  This can fall in our pro category because DD's are taking Expository Writing I with WTMA.

I find that I still teach some things mostly because you can't hand my twins MCT CE and expect them to just do it. ;)

I've bought semesters for next year at Christmas time.

• Like 1

My twin DD"s are taking English II this year, our second year with Landry.  Overall I'm satisfied.  

To comment on Randoms Pros: The reading is slow for one twin, but right on for the other.  The writing is picking up but still isn't enough for us.  This can fall in our pro category because DD's are taking Expository Writing I with WTMA.

I find that I still teach some things mostly because you can't hand my twins MCT CE and expect them to just do it. ;)

I've bought semesters for next year at Christmas time.

Do they not teach the material in class?

They do, but they also assign reading and assignments from the MCT materials that the kids are expected to do outside of class.  They have a weekly assignment list broken into suggested daily chunks.  I take the time to go through some of these assignments with my girls each week, or they would skip them.  Grammar assignments are also on the honors system and I tend to check and make sure that they were actually done; my girls would avoid the grammar homework when possible and just follow along with the answers in class.  Nothing very time consuming, but I find my DC still need some instruction/oversight at this age.  Like anything else, the more they move up the grades the less hands on I am.  YMMV.  

They do, but they also assign reading and assignments from the MCT materials that the kids are expected to do outside of class.  They have a weekly assignment list broken into suggested daily chunks.  I take the time to go through some of these assignments with my girls each week, or they would skip them.  Grammar assignments are also on the honors system and I tend to check and make sure that they were actually done; my girls would avoid the grammar homework when possible and just follow along with the answers in class.  Nothing very time consuming, but I find my DC still need some instruction/oversight at this age.  Like anything else, the more they move up the grades the less hands on I am.  YMMV.  

Very good to know. Thank you!

Keep in mind that classes are not every day.  They are only an hour and a half once a week.  And even with an on-line class there are times that instruction time gets cut a bit due to administrative or discipline situations (although those are usually much easier to take care of in this format).  That actually isn't a ton of time to cover all instruction, KWIM?  They teach the material in class but there isn't much time for review.  If someone isn't understanding, the student needs to work through the instruction again on their own at home or contact the teacher to get help.  Thankfully, since the class is recorded it is easy to go back and review.  And as a parent, I do like that I can go back and watch the class instruction, too, so I am not second guessing what my student thinks was said.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that classes are not every day.  They are only an hour and a half once a week.  And even with an on-line class there are times that instruction time gets cut a bit due to administrative or discipline situations (although those are usually much easier to take care of in this format).  That actually isn't a ton of time to cover all instruction, KWIM?  They teach the material in class but there isn't much time for review.  If someone isn't understanding, the student needs to work through the instruction again on their own at home or contact the teacher to get help.  Thankfully, since the class is recorded it is easy to go back and review.  And as a parent, I do like that I can go back and watch the class instruction, too, so I am not second guessing what my student thinks was said.

That makes sense. My older dd has taken classes with Landry before so I am somewhat familiar with the setup. But definitely had some concerns with putting a younger student into that instruction set up.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

They do, but they also assign reading and assignments from the MCT materials that the kids are expected to do outside of class.  They have a weekly assignment list broken into suggested daily chunks.  I take the time to go through some of these assignments with my girls each week, or they would skip them.  Grammar assignments are also on the honors system and I tend to check and make sure that they were actually done; my girls would avoid the grammar homework when possible and just follow along with the answers in class.  Nothing very time consuming, but I find my DC still need some instruction/oversight at this age.  Like anything else, the more they move up the grades the less hands on I am.  YMMWhat

What are the ages for your twin dds?Thanks

I have one son taking English III this year with Mrs. Whitlock.  He's in 7th grade. 

Things I love about it:

-Mrs. Whitlock is an excellent teacher.  My son understands her.  He has gone from failing grammar (even though we've been studying grammar for all 7 years of homeschool) to getting 100% on 4-level analysis quizzes.

-Mrs. Whitlock's composition corrections are specific and detailed and she is careful to tell my son how he can do better.

-The class uses MCT products.

-The books he is reading are not the totally depressing, sad, verbose books he read through Veritas Press.

-The required reading has not been outrageously expensive.  There are Kindle or free versions of almost everything.

-The actual grammar covered is interesting, and includes stuff I never learned.  Studying grammar with MCT has changed the way my son writes, for the better.

-The class has online office hours that my son always attends for extra help from his teacher.

-Tests and/or quizzes every week.

-Well-run, efficient and organized administration that can help me with just about anything.

-When the classes are on sale, it's a very inexpensive way to take a high-quality class.

Things I would change:

-There aren't a lot of writing assignments.  Writing is a weak subject for my son, and I hoped this class would have him writing more.

-Not enough reading.  My son has loved the books, and for the first time EVER, wishes there was more to read for the class.  I have added books for him, like Huckleberry Finn after he read Tom Sawyer.  When we used Veritas, my son only liked one book he had to read, but this year, he enjoys the reading.  It's made a huge difference for him.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied.  I have signed up for more 'generic' semesters when they've been on sale.  Next year, I'll have a son in 6th, and I plan for him to take history and English through Landry.  I also plan on having my 8th grade son take English and history through Landry next year.  When 'generic' semesters are on sale again, I'm planning to buy more.  I want to add science to the classes my kids take through Landry.

I'll be able to share more next year at this time, after we've had different teachers and different subjects.  I have very high hopes, though. 

If child doesn't know root words and not perfect writing then can he manage English level 3 course in 7th grade?Thanks