Menu

Disney experts, please help!

happyWImom

We are going to Disneyworld end of Feb. and I am starting to book our Fastpasses.  We can only do ours 30 days out.  What I am finding, is that most of the morning passes are all taken.  So, our only options are just to book what's available, right?  The other problem is that we want to attend the Electrical Parade (and others) and I hate to waste our Fastpasses on it, because we only have 3 per day, but I'm not sure what to do!  Would you say you have to have them for things like that?  Also, we want to do Mickey's Philharmagic, do you think Fastpasses are necessary for it, or should we use it for something else?

For those who have been do Disney in Feb. what should we be prepared for when it comes to lines?  My dc aren't totally all about the rides, so that's good.

Here are our top picks:  Mag. Kingdom:  Hall of Presidents, Pirates of Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Big Thunder Mtn., Peter Pan, Swiss Family Treehouse.

Epcot:  Mission Space, Innoventions, Soarin, American Adventure, Maelstrom, Seabase.  They want to walk through as many countries in the world showcase that  we can.

Animal Kingdom: Flights of Wonder, Kil. Safari, Expedition Everest

They want to see the Main St. Electrical Parade and we have reservations for the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks dessert party.

We're there for 7 nights, and are doing 1 day at Sea World.  My dd (because of anxiety) doesn't do well with non-stop morning til night go, go, go, so we want to somehow have some down time.  That's why while we have quite a bit on our list, we didn't want to have too many "must do" things.  Do you think what we have for our timeframe is realistic?  Any other advice or must see/do is appreciated.

I know the advice is usually to get there super early do avoid the crush, but since most of the morning fastpasses are booked (so far), would it be dumb to go a little later and then stay into the evening instead?  Again, we need the downtime.  (We're staying at Windsor Hills & have a 3 bed. villa)  I know we need to factor the travel time into everything.

Thanks!

I hate the new FP+ system.

I would book the big ones and get there early to ride as much as possible before your FPs start. At MK, the longest wait right now is at the new 7 Dwarves Mine Train. You won't have any problems with Hall of Presidents, Pirates, Buzz, TTA, or the Treehouse. Peter Pan could be worth a FP unless you go there early. Goofy's Barnstormer is a really cute ride too. My kids love it.

Epcot--Maelstrom is closed. It's being turned into a Frozen themed ride. You definitely want a FP for Soarin. Mission Space usually doesn't need one. What's Seabase? Illuminations at park closing is really beautiful.

AK--Safari and Everest are FP worthy. The Nemo show is a don't miss for us. Also the Festival of the Lion King if it has reopened in its new venue.

Seeing the Electrical Parade and doing the Dessert Party on the same night may be tough. The last time we did it, the party opened right before the parade. Not sure on times currently? If there are two parades, the later one is less crowded.

Leaving the park and returning via car to an offsite hotel is going to eat up hours. I'd allow an hour for driving, parking, getting from the lot to the gate (especially at MK), security...

I think Maelstrom is closed right now to make way for a new Frozen thing.

Several things on your wishlist are less popular so you wouldn't need a Fastpass. Things have changed with the new Fastpass system. This website will help you out. There is a crowd calendar and he has several posts about how wait times have changed recently.

www.easywdw.com/

http://www.easywdw.com/calendar/february-2015-walt-disney-world-crowd-calendar/

It looks like the crowds will be very manageable when you are there!  The last time we went, we only had to use a fastpass on Toy Story Midway Mania at Hollywood Studios.  All of the other rides had waits less than 20 minutes.  Test Track was more, but it was broken more than it was running.  

We planned our park days according to the recommended parks on the calendar in the link.  I would highly suggest trying to do the same.  We were able to ride Expedition Everest 5 times with less than a 5 minute wait per time. 

We are going to Disneyworld end of Feb. and I am starting to book our Fastpasses.  We can only do ours 30 days out.  What I am finding, is that most of the morning passes are all taken.  So, our only options are just to book what's available, right?  The other problem is that we want to attend the Electrical Parade (and others) and I hate to waste our Fastpasses on it, because we only have 3 per day, but I'm not sure what to do!  Would you say you have to have them for things like that?  Also, we want to do Mickey's Philharmagic, do you think Fastpasses are necessary for it, or should we use it for something else?

For those who have been do Disney in Feb. what should we be prepared for when it comes to lines?  My dc aren't totally all about the rides, so that's good.

Here are our top picks:  Mag. Kingdom:  Hall of Presidents, Pirates of Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Big Thunder Mtn., Peter Pan, Swiss Family Treehouse.

Epcot:  Mission Space, Innoventions, Soarin, American Adventure, Maelstrom, Seabase.  They want to walk through as many countries in the world showcase that  we can.

Animal Kingdom: Flights of Wonder, Kil. Safari, Expedition Everest

They want to see the Main St. Electrical Parade and we have reservations for the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks dessert party.

We're there for 7 nights, and are doing 1 day at Sea World.  My dd (because of anxiety) doesn't do well with non-stop morning til night go, go, go, so we want to somehow have some down time.  That's why while we have quite a bit on our list, we didn't want to have too many "must do" things.  Do you think what we have for our timeframe is realistic?  Any other advice or must see/do is appreciated.

I know the advice is usually to get there super early do avoid the crush, but since most of the morning fastpasses are booked (so far), would it be dumb to go a little later and then stay into the evening instead?  Again, we need the downtime.  (We're staying at Windsor Hills & have a 3 bed. villa)  I know we need to factor the travel time into everything.

Thanks!

The new FastPass+ system irritates me.

If you aren't staying on property, many of the Fast passes will be gone by the time 30 days out happens.  We were unable to get a FP for Mine Train.  We were able to ride it by going at rope drop.  I have also heard that if you go last thing in the evening it will be ok.

Feb. should be low crowds.

Here are the things on your list that will need FP if you can get them:

Magic Kingdom:  Seven Dwarfs, Peter Pan, the others you have listed rarely have long lines, particularly during off season.

Epcot:  Soarin' is really the only pressing one on your list.  If you want Test Track, I would get it for that as well if you can.

Animal Kingdom:  Kilimanjaro, Expedition Everest are must haves

Are you going to Hollywood Studios?

Your kids are old enough for single rider lines as well.  Expedition Everest and Test Track both have single rider lines.  We often do that and go on multiple times.

If you are at Epcot right at the opening and walk swiftly to Soarin', you won't need a FP for it.  You may even do what dh and I did in December and get on it twice [i'm from California - that ride makes me weep happy, nostalgic tears].  If you aren't there at opening, get a FP - you'll need it!

To answer one of your OP questions - you don't need a FB for Philharmagic.  We love that show, and it's a great one to do in the middle of the day when you just want to get off your feet [or get out of the heat if you go in, say, the height of summer].  I've been at WDW in low crowds and high crowds and never once needed a FP for that ride/show.

You're going at a good time of year.  Waits for most rides won't be a nightmare.  And going to the Fireworks Dessert party - that's awesome!

We were there in early Feb 2014, and lines were very manageable.  There was one busier park day, but otherwise it was fine.  We used crowd calendars, and often ended up riding things without a wait, and then changing our FP to something else (but often not much was available if we changed on the fly).  Getting to the parks early was very helpful!

We loved the dessert party.  I hate crowds, so having a chance to watch without being elbow to elbow with people was really nice.  Dessert was just an added bonus.

http://www.easywdw.com/calendar/february-2015-walt-disney-world-crowd-calendar/

It looks like the crowds will be very manageable when you are there!  The last time we went, we only had to use a fastpass on Toy Story Midway Mania at Hollywood Studios.  All of the other rides had waits less than 20 minutes.  Test Track was more, but it was broken more than it was running.  

We planned our park days according to the recommended parks on the calendar in the link.  I would highly suggest trying to do the same.  We were able to ride Expedition Everest 5 times with less than a 5 minute wait per time. 

Thanks for this site, it saved me!!

I have planned our total itinerary, and only had to switch a few things.  I finally feel like I have a handle on things!

Did you feel Toy Story Mania was worth it?  There were only a few things (Toy Story, Star Tour and Lights, Motors, Action show) we really wanted to do there, and I'm wondering if we should take that time for Animal Kingdom (we're going the day we get there, but it's at the end of the day so we can only do 2 things) instead.  It's the day before we leave, and I would much rather do AK in the morning and then just spend the time at the resort.  

Thanks for this site, it saved me!!

I have planned our total itinerary, and only had to switch a few things.  I finally feel like I have a handle on things!

Did you feel Toy Story Mania was worth it?  There were only a few things (Toy Story, Star Tour and Lights, Motors, Action show) we really wanted to do there, and I'm wondering if we should take that time for Animal Kingdom (we're going the day we get there, but it's at the end of the day so we can only do 2 things) instead.  It's the day before we leave, and I would much rather do AK in the morning and then just spend the time at the resort.  

You're welcome!  I have used it every time we've gone & have found it so helpful!!

We did like TSMM - it's very cute & a competitive game with the members in your car with you.  Star Tours is great for Star Wars fans - it's a virtual ride, but can cause a little motion sickness, so be a little cautious about that.  We have never seen Lights, Motors, Action.  One of our very favorite things is the Fanstasmic show - we would never miss that!  

Our kids love Animal Kingdom a lot!!  But that's personal preference - lots of walking trails with animals.  

I'm jealous - we had hoped to do a December trip this past year, but flights were just too expensive.  

Enjoy your planning :)

We are going to Disneyworld end of Feb. and I am starting to book our Fastpasses.  We can only do ours 30 days out.  What I am finding, is that most of the morning passes are all taken.  So, our only options are just to book what's available, right?  The other problem is that we want to attend the Electrical Parade (and others) and I hate to waste our Fastpasses on it, because we only have 3 per day, but I'm not sure what to do!  Would you say you have to have them for things like that?  Also, we want to do Mickey's Philharmagic, do you think Fastpasses are necessary for it, or should we use it for something else?    You are going at a low traffic time anyway - I wouldn't fastpass any shows or parades.  The Philharmagic theater is LARGE.  It would be uncommon not to get in the first time.

For those who have been do Disney in Feb. what should we be prepared for when it comes to lines?  My dc aren't totally all about the rides, so that's good.  Lines in Feb. should be low - and half the fun is seeing how they've decorated the lines!

Here are our top picks:  Mag. Kingdom:  Hall of Presidents, Pirates of Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Big Thunder Mtn., Peter Pan, Swiss Family Treehouse.  I would use a fastpass for the Buzz Lightyear right, Peter Pan, & Big Thunder Mt. out of those you've mentioned.  Hall of Presidents is a HUGE theater and even in the busiest summer months you can get right in.  Pirates & Haunted Mansion are fast lines as is Small World.  The transit authority never has a line.  We were there the Monday after new year's and it was PACKED, and the transit authority still was only a 15 minute wait (other rides were 2 hours).  Swiss Family Treehouse has no line - it's just a walk through it attraction.

Epcot:  Mission Space, Innoventions, Soarin, American Adventure, Maelstrom, Seabase.  They want to walk through as many countries in the world showcase that  we can.  Mission Space & Soarin - Maelstrom is closed and being refurbished into a Frozen themed attraction.  American Adventure is in huge theatre, and innoventions is a hall of exhibits.  Seabase has the Nemo ride, but it's easy to get into.

Animal Kingdom: Flights of Wonder, Kil. Safari, Expedition Everest  Fastpass expedition everest & safari.  Also dinosaur (although it's a bit scary)

Thanks!

I've added some notes into your original quote.  We are season pass holders this year & I have memorized our Disney guide book (we have the Unofficial Guide from Amazon - WELL worth the money!).  I think you will easily be able to fit in the things you want to see in that many days.  Those aren't unrealistic for a single day trip for each park.  I'm surprised the morning passes are taken - the new fast pass system is annoying in that you can't actually choose your times, it arranges them for you.  You should have 4 options to choose from each time, though.  There's usually a "best" then an option a, b, and c. 

Do NOT expect to see the new 7 dwarves mine train ride or to see the Frozen princesses. I  hear that the lines for the princesses are 5+ hours without fastpass, and since you're not staying on disney property, they will all be taken.  (Disney property people can book 60 days out).

(And saw someone mentioned the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom - it is reopened!)

Hope that helps.  Looks like other people have similar advice now that I'm taking the time to scroll through!

If you get to the parks before they open, and try to hit the fast rides FIRST THING, you'll probably be able to get on everything you want to ride.

For example: we were at Magic Kingdom an hour before it opened.  It takes a while to get from the parking lot to the entrance, so factor that in.  We saw the opening ceremony, then walked swiftly to Peter Pan [always our first ride].  From there we went to Space Mountain and then over to Spash.  After Splash Mountain we went directly to Big Thunder [right across the way].  It was a lot to pack in in the first two hours, but the waits weren't bad and the girls got on the rides they wanted.  After that I let them roam, whilst I collapsed in Philharmagic.

It's a Small World, is also good for "down time".....though the ride at WDW isn't as long as at Disneyland.  You can catch a small nap on the California version!

Just make some random Fastpasses that semi meet your schedule and needs. February is a good time to go. Fastpasses will not be needed at most rides anyway.

Also, I am feeling a crazy stressful vacation in your future. Do not rush in at gate opening. Wake up when you wake up and mosey on over to whatever ride you want to do first. The rides will be there no matter what time you arrive. If you are tying yourself to timed Fastpasses, parades, and meal reservations all day you are going to spend more time looking at your watch than the amazing sites around you. You are going to be there plenty of days to see enough of what you want to do.

I have been to Disney over 100 times in the past 40+ years. There are still things there I have not seen or done. It is impossible to see everything and do everything in one trip.

Just make some random Fastpasses that semi meet your schedule and needs. February is a good time to go. Fastpasses will not be needed at most rides anyway.

Also, I am feeling a crazy stressful vacation in your future. Do not rush in at gate opening. Wake up when you wake up and mosey on over to whatever ride you want to do first. The rides will be there no matter what time you arrive. If you are tying yourself to timed Fastpasses, parades, and meal reservations all day you are going to spend more time looking at your watch than the amazing sites around you. You are going to be there plenty of days to see enough of what you want to do.

I have been to Disney over 100 times in the past 40+ years. There are still things there I have not seen or done. It is impossible to see everything and do everything in one trip.

Thank you for that!  I don't want to be tied to the clock, believe me!  My son told me "I don't care if we get to all of my favorites, I just want to have the experience."