Menu

BJU Science DLO - couple more ?s

Do you watch the Mom Minutes every day? Oh my word, that level of detail is NOT my cuppa and I want to skip them. Watching those daily is the kind of thing that causes me to avoid curriculum :D  Is it okay to skip the Mom Minutes? I do NOT care about every jot and tittle of the program so unless it is critical to success I'd like to skip it. If I have the Schedule of Lessons and follow along with what I am to check and provide materials wise am I okay?

Also, I'm still a little fuzzy and it will likely become clear once we actually begin (we had a rough time after the holiday so I am just now getting this prepped while I have sick kiddos!) but am I grading all of his work? I *think* the assessments are graded by the computer and it sounds like the Quick Checks are reviewed with Mrs. Vick each day. Based on what I am seeing it looks like I am to correct the SAM work.

All of the prep work required has turned me off to this style of learning ..... I am so much more simple minded and admit to doubting my decision to purchase this. So much detail and so many boxes to check and so many pieces of information to juggle for ONE class.  :rolleyes:

You can skip the Mom Minutes. I added years to my life when we did DLO by skipping those.

Any work done on the computer is graded by the computer. You {or the child. mine did.} correct any offline work. At least that was how it worked when we did it.

I never watch the mom minutes either.

I grade the tests because I have my kids do them on paper. I prefer paper so dh and I can easily look at the results, and also to have records.

Literally the only time I spend on the science course is grading tests, recording the scores, and once in a while helping them find something for an experiment in the box of stuff I pre-prepared. Mrs. Vick does evreything else.

For science 6 I found a list of supplies, though I can't remember where I found it since it. The list had stars next to the items for "required" experiments, although I don't think they are necessarily required. Mrs. Vick and her students fully demonstrate all of the experiments.

Mrs. Twain,

Did you use the Schedule of Lessons to know what you'd need to pull the supply box together? That is something I'd like to do for my son! 

I'm not Mrs. Twain, but yes, I used the schedule to pull together the list of supplies.

I didn't watch Mom's Minutes, either.