Menu

One-to-one correspondence

Kanin

Hi all, finally a question about my other student! He is 10. He's with me because he is still not counting consistently, let alone adding or subtracting.

After doing a lot of dice work with Ronit Bird, (and now I have the ebooks, yay!) he is starting to visualize patterns! Yeah! Yesterday we were playing "Make 10." He saw an 8 card and a 2 card and excitedly said that they make ten. When I asked him to explain, he touched one dot of the 2 pattern and then touched the pattern of four in the eight. Then he touched the other dot in the 2 pattern and touched the other pattern of four in eight. He was seeing the two dots fill in the 8 pattern to make the 10 pattern. I did a happy dance! 

However - he is still not counting consistently. He is improving a lot, but I'd say his counting is still 50/50. He will double count, skip objects, etc. I had him bouncing a ball today and it helped, but he is still not matching counts to bounces. I bounced the ball ONE time while counting really fast to eight. How many times did I bounce? I asked. Eight! he replied.  :001_huh: 

Anyone have any ideas about how to encourage one-to-one correspondence? So far we're counting everything, and bouncing balls while counting. 

Thanks!

Though walking, hopping, jumping is just a linear process, from one movement to the next.

Their is no sense of them as a quantity?

His forming and recognizing groups of 5.

Reflects the way that the brain processes numbers?

While our number system carries at 10.

The brain actually carries at 5.

So that the brain really works with: 1,2,3,4 then,10,11,12,13,14, then 20,21,22,23,24, etc.

This relates to how the brain can instantly recognize individual elements, as groups of 2,3 and 4.

Which is what provides us with a sense of different sized quantities.

But with 5, the elements lose their individuality and convert to one container of 5.