Menu

self-designed interdisciplinary courses

I am considering designing a half-credit interdisciplinary study for 9th grade, but I have never done such a thing before and am interested in hearing some Voices of Wisdom.  If you have designed courses of your own, I'd love to know your plans and experiences!

I love this old thread about the Daniel Boorstin trilogy:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/207482-what-type-of-books-are-the-daniel-boorstin-trilogy/?hl=%2Bboorstin&do=findComment&comment=1993240   Corraleno and others shared some stunning ideas!  I would love to hear from anyone who implemented those ideas.

The course I am currently considering will focus on the creative process, but I am still in the initial research/gathering stages.  Any and all ideas are welcome!

I agree with both of you.  As I said, I'm right at the beginning, so everything is subject to change as research brings new ideas (and shoots down others, LOL).

My "nugget" idea is to explore the creative process - which will surely involve an exploration of creativity itself.  So the obvious fields are lit, art, philosophy, history and science.  Entrepreneurs and inventors seem to follow the same process, and I like the idea of looking at the differences between the various types. 

Some more specific thoughts:

History - probably mostly art history, although I had an idea this morning to look at it from a political perspective:  censorship and governmental positions on art could play roles, but I'd also like to look at nation-building and writing a constitution/developing a new government - possibly looking at the Baltic states.

Science - creativity and the brain, but also genetics and GMOs (the creative process in nature)

Lit - the specific creative processes of various writers - Woolf, Stephen King, Hemingway, maybe Anne Lamott (I haven't read Bird by Bird, but I think it may be relevant here)

Art - creative processes of various studio artists (DaVinci's and Rembrandt's sketches compared to final works)

Philosophy - I vaguely recall my Philosophy of Art seminar in college, and I may still have some of the materials.  I remember a Tolstoy piece ("What Is Art?" IIRC) and a rebuttal (much hazier on that one, LOL) and I'm hoping to find other on-target work.

Having said all of that, though, I am very much interested in a wider discussion about designing such courses generally - our WTMers' very own creative process, as it were - so anyone's experience with anything would be of interest.