Menu

Looking for a specific kind of science kit

ellebro

I've been using a Science Wiz kit (DNA kit) and have been very happy with it so far.  I really like the format - first it gives the science theory and information about the topic (with excellent, full color illustrations) and a list of materials to gather (most are in the kit.)  Then it gives step by step illustrated instructions.  Then it has a Why It Works page that touches on theory again, connecting the experiment to the big ideas.  That's exactly the format I'd like to use for my 3rd - 5th graders for the rest of this year and next year too. We do science three days a week so it would work out perfectly - day 1, theory/gather materials; day 2 - experiment; day 3 lab report. 

The only problem is that the topics are somewhat limited so far, especially in biology/life science.  The DNA kit is the only life science kit in the series. 

Are there any other science kits out there that have a similar format - theory with illustrations, then experiment?

Do the Science in a Nutshell kits or the ASK/Little Professor kits explain the science/theory behind the experiment first, or do they only give instructions?  Or are there any other kits out there that do present the scientific facts in some detail along with the experiments?

Thanks!  :-)