Menu

Jousting Armadillos pacing?

There's back story here and I can link a thread if anyone's interested, but in short, we are looking at switching from TC (about 1/3 of the way through) Pre-A to JA. At least temporarily (long story!). What pace would you recommend? Or more precisely, what pacing would you do (how many lessons per day/week?).

We pretty much did one lesson per day for the first 5 chapters.  The last chapter took 2 or 3 days per lesson.

Use your common sense, of course!  If the lesson was really long, I let her do the lesson problems one day and the review problems the next day.  So it may have averaged out to a little more than a day per lesson.  We did the tests, too, so that was one additional day per lesson.  But you get my drift.

We do two pages a day.  Like we would do page 1 and page 2 on the first day, then page 3 and 4 on the second, and so forth.  We even do 2 pages a day when we have tests to do.  It was sometime in October that I did the math and realized that if I wanted to finish the book by the end of the year we'd have to do 2 pages a day.

But we also do Math U See and we do the online practice SAT and ACT question each day. 

If we do longer than that, math lasts too long and we don't get to anything else.  I schedule about an hour for math each day and we use it up pretty easily with MUS, ACT/SAT questions, and JA.  Sometimes I feel like we have to rush through.  Don't like that.

Oh wait!  Hang on.  We work on a 6 day cycle, instead of a 5 day week.  We only do JA on days 3-6.  Days 1 and 2 are for MUS videos and discussion.  So, I have no idea how much you'd need to do.  But now that I've typed this all out I'm going to post it anyway.

No that's helpful. I'm planning per week, but want to allot about 3 days worth of work each week as we are blending in RS Fractions with it and I planned to switch to RS Geometry when we finished Fractions, although I suspect we may need some Zaccarro (RWA?) for application and practice if we stick with JA instead of going back to TC.

I would recommend getting the student book and the teacher book.

In the student book there are exactly 167 pages of actual content.  Anything else is introduction, Chapter cover pages, etc.

In the teacher's guide there are 7 tests, for the six chapters and a final test.  

Chapter 1 test is 7 pages long

Chapter 2: 6 pages

Chapter 3: 4 pages

Chapter 4: 7 pages

Chapter 5: 6 pages

Chapter 6: 3 pages

Final test: 5 pages

(38 pages total of tests)

There are 6 chapters with the following number of lessons:

Chapter 1, 7 lessons

Chapter 2, 8 lessons

Chapter 3, 5 lessons

Chapter 4, 7 lessons

Chapter 5, 7 lessons

Chapter 6, 4 lessons

There's one final "lesson" which is called "A few final thoughts."  It's only one page.

So....total pages of content including tests: 205

Total number of lessons:38

Total number of tests: 7

Maybe these numbers will give you an idea of how much you'd have to do to finish by whatever time you want to finish.

I don't know what you know about JA, but he likes to give questions and puzzles that require a lot of thought to figure out.  He doesn't just give formulas and then give lots of practice problems. He leads the student along having her figure it out with him as she goes.  We like it well enough, though sometimes both of us (me included) get a little impatient.  Some lessons are quicker than others depending on how difficult the puzzles are.  

I originally thought JA would be one lesson per day - I thought that must be why it was broken down into "lessons." In practice, some of the lessons we can speed through in a day and some definitely take two days. I assign the review problems as homework, but if you're planning to go through them together allow additional time for that.

Oh yes, the answer book has lots of errors! Although if you've bought it recently, I understand there was a second printing to correct some of them.  But we found a lot of mistakes.  Shannon kind of enjoyed finding mistakes - it did help with her critical thinking skills! Instead of just accepting that her answer was wrong, she would rework the problem and then come and tell me that Linus had messed up again.  It made her quite gleeful to catch the errors.