Menu

Who's reading/read Pioneer Girl?

Rachel

My library just got their copy of Pioneer Girl and I was first on the hold list.  The book is huge!  It isn't just thick but the pages are quite large as well, maybe 12"x12".  I've only read about half the introduction.  I'm normally a quick reader but I'm not sure I'll make it through this book before it's due.

Who else is reading this or has read it?

I got it from our library, and enjoyed skim-reading it, and I did learn a lot. 

It was like a giant detailed review of all the Little House books.

I've heartily enjoyed the annotated versions of Jane Austen books, so this was a similar detailed account.

Hundreds of detailed footnotes--the volume of footnotes exceeds the original text (I would estimate).

They tried to track down just about every person mentioned, with some success.

B&W portraits of many of those individuals are included.

There are detailed maps of each location, too.

Yes, it's a thick coffee-table book, just for Laura Ingalls Wilder fans!  :)

It also caused me to go back & read Rose Wilder Lane's books, as she is also a big reason that her mother wrote down her life experiences.

The lengthy introduction shows some of the manuscripts, with editing which clearly improved the content.

I preordered it last August.  Still waiting for it to show up.  I've promised my Mom she could read it - supposedly I would hand it off at Christmas.  Now I'm hoping that maybe by Easter.....

Wow!  That's a long wait.

I read somewhere that they already sold out of the first editions and are working on printing the second editions which is part of why it is taking so long.  Hopefully you will get it soon!

I ordered direct from rocky ridge bookstore months ago and got it in nov. I've read it all and loved it. I found the footnotes interesting, and also her development as a writer. I've been to many of the homesites, read many books, etc., so I didn't get a whole lot of new information, but I loved reading the original draft of the inspiration for the book. Laura and Rose's corespondence about the writing process was interesting too.

There are 44 copies floating around my main library system and I am 46 on the list. I placed a hold as soon as it was in the system last year. I'm excited but I'd guess I have another month or three to wait.

On the upside I just noticed my library now has text message alerts for due dates and holds. Woot! I love me my library.

I got it from our library, and enjoyed skim-reading it, and I did learn a lot. 

It was like a giant detailed review of all the Little House books.

I've heartily enjoyed the annotated versions of Jane Austen books, so this was a similar detailed account.

Hundreds of detailed footnotes--the volume of footnotes exceeds the original text (I would estimate).

They tried to track down just about every person mentioned, with some success.

B&W portraits of many of those individuals are included.

There are detailed maps of each location, too.

Yes, it's a thick coffee-table book, just for Laura Ingalls Wilder fans!  :)

It also caused me to go back & read Rose Wilder Lane's books, as she is also a big reason that her mother wrote down her life experiences.

The lengthy introduction shows some of the manuscripts, with editing which clearly improved the content.

Oh...I thought the daughter of Pioneer Woman had now written a book too... :lol: