Menu

New Brunswick/Nova Scotia?

Not there myself, but there is a really nice group of people on Facebook.  You can do a search for Maritime Unschoolers.

From what I have heard, New Brunswick is super easy.  You ultimately decide whether you are going to play the system game or not.  If you do, there is one form to mail in every year, and lots of people seem to refuse to sign part of it that is a waiver and still receive their "permission" letters without difficulty.

I'm in Nova Scotia. It's pretty easy to homeschool here. You fill in an intent to homeschool  form with a plan every year, and send in a report at the end. No testing. The DOE is pretty helpful. Services are next to 0 (though apparently there is an SLP with some time for homeschoolers). More people are starting to school part-time. How doable it is depends on the local school, and they vary dramatically. In some parts of the province, there are some good sized groups of homeschoolers (especially the Halifax area and the Annapolis Valley), some areas, not so much. There some classical homeschoolers, more traditional/Christian, lots of unschoolers, lots of Waldorf. We're involved in homeschool swimming lessons and homeschool art classes. 

• 1 year later...

I'm in Nova Scotia. It's pretty easy to homeschool here. You fill in an intent to homeschool form with a plan every year, and send in a report at the end. No testing. The DOE is pretty helpful. Services are next to 0 (though apparently there is an SLP with some time for homeschoolers). More people are starting to school part-time. How doable it is depends on the local school, and they vary dramatically. In some parts of the province, there are some good sized groups of homeschoolers (especially the Halifax area and the Annapolis Valley), some areas, not so much. There some classical homeschoolers, more traditional/Christian, lots of unschoolers, lots of Waldorf. We're involved in homeschool swimming lessons and homeschool art classes.

My family has thought about moving as close to Halifax as we could... We are SOOOOOO isolated from like minded homeschoolers where we are... :) we might have to at least visit... :)