Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW3

Robin M

Pat Benatar... Hell Is For Children?

Yes, just googled because it sounded familiar but wasn't sure. On side one of the Crimes of Passion album which had her Hit me with your best shot. Side two contained WH, I remember actually listening to side two more than one even though the popular songs were on side one.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why oh why oh why am I completely unable to stop reading a terrible book?!?! This week I read Tedd and Todd's Secret. It. Was. Awful. An incredible mess of horrible grammar, improper use of commas, and a huge cast of characters that all sound exactly the same when they talk. And, yet, I just couldn't delete it from my Kindle. I was compelled to finish it by some weird thing inside me that won't let me stop reading a book before it is finished. I ended up giving it 2 stars because the action was continuous and the ending was decent.

I also finished reading Dante's Inferno.

Now shouldn't Dante have provided the answer to your first question? Why do we persist in the things that will just make us unhappy? ;)

Just poking my head in to wave hello. Not much reading to report, except this thread, as I'm in bed in a post-op recuperative haze.  Which makes my replying to Nan's question kind of funny as my brain has no business attempting this, but here I go....

Alrighty.  I've reached my maximum brain cell usage for the moment.  Back to studying the backs of my eyelids...

:grouphug:  Great analysis.   

This week I'll be reading sequels, Son the final installment of the Giver series, and Streams of Silver which follows The Crystal Shard.

So for this year I've read:

Messenger 

The Familiars

The Crystal Shard

Songmaster

The book that impacted me this week was Songmaster, by Scott Orson Card. I read Ender's game last summer and really enjoyed it - well, enjoyed might not be the right word. There was so much there I struggled with and yet I couldn't put it down. I got my ds to read it just so I had someone to talk about it with. So I decided to try something else by Card and found Songmaster in the audiobooks online from my library. Like Ender's Game, it took me a little time to get into the book then I couldn't put it down. Card's worlds captivate me even when they horrify me. 

I spent much of today reading the fantasy Written In Red: A Novel of the Others by Anne Bishop.  This is the first book by this author that I've read, and I enjoyed it very much.  I'd seen the title on a number of "Best of" lists last year, but it was a recent review I read that likened it to Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega books (a favorite series of mine) that had me deciding to read it.  I'm not sure how accurate that comparison is, but I'm glad it made me read the book.

I see that Robin recommended this book last year, so here's a second vote!

"No one creates realms like New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop. Now in a thrilling new fantasy series, enter a world inhabited by the Others, unearthly entities—vampires and shape-shifters among them—who rule the Earth and whose prey are humans.

As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg’s Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others.

Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she’s keeping a secret, and second, she doesn’t smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she’s wanted by the government, he’ll have to decide if she’s worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow."

Here's an informative review:  GUEST REVIEW: Written in Red by Anne Bishop

I now have a hold on the sequel Murder of Crows: A Novel of the Others which I'm looking forward to reading.

Regards,

Kareni

Since there's a Mortdecai movie coming out soon, I thought I'd read one or some of the books it is based on. I keep reading reviews that say the Mortdecai books are a mix of Jeeves & Wooster mixed with 007. :lol:  I requested the books the library & they're here. I started After You With The Pistol (which is the second one in the series), thinking the library didn't have the first one. A few chapters in to the second book, though, & I looked up what the first book was... and it turns out it was sitting here on my desk too. It's just that my library has a version with the British title (Mortdecai's Endgame), so I didn't immediately see it on the lists I was reading, which instead gave the American title, Don't Point That Thing At Me.

So, now I'll stop the #2 book & start Mortdecai's Endgame (or Don't Point That Thing At Me) by Kyril Bonfiglioli.

A cult classic in the UK since its first publication there in the 1970s, Don't Point That Thing at Me is the first of a series of hilarious and dark-humored crime thrillers featuring the Honorable Charlie Mortdecai: degenerate aristocrat, amoral art dealer, seasoned epicurean, unwilling assassin, and acknowledged coward.

With his thuggish manservant - the incomparably named Jock Strapp - Mortdecai endures all manner of nastiness involving stolen paintings, a vintage Rolls Royce, secret police, a whirlwind trip to the United States, a dead client, and a ravishing and wealthy young widow...all just to make a dishonest living. He's not one to pass up a drink - or too many - and he prides himself on being stylishly dressed for whatever occasion may present itself, no matter how debauched. Don't miss this brilliant mixture of comedy, crime, and suspense.

And the movie looks like frivolous, campy fun too, imo. My dd really wants to see it for Johnny Depp. :laugh:

Since there's a Mortdecai movie coming out soon, I thought I'd read one or some of the books it is based on. I keep reading reviews that say the Mortdecai books are a mix of Jeeves & Wooster mixed with 007. :lol: I requested the books the library & they're here. I started After You With The Pistol (which is the second one in the series), thinking the library didn't have the first one. A few chapters in to the second book, though, & I looked up what the first book was... and it turns out it was sitting here on my desk too. It's just that my library has a version with the British title (Mortdecai's Endgame), so I didn't immediately see it on the lists I was reading, which instead gave the American title, Don't Point That Thing At Me.

So, now I'll stop the #2 book & start Mortdecai's Endgame (or Don't Point That Thing At Me) by Kyril Bonfiglioli.

And the movie looks like frivolous, campy fun too, imo. My dd really wants to see it for Johnny Depp. :laugh:

Looking forward to your review because I am on a holds list for the first one. Somehow the cover of the book looks more Mr.Bean then Johnny Depp so I was really surprised when I found the book. I had been searching for books off the soon to be movies list we had a couple of weeks ago.

Eta. Your link just loaded. I had wondered why you had left that white space. When I think of Johnny Depp I picture a really cool pirate type...the new look in your movie trailer definitely looks more like the book cover!

Forgot to update with books read last week! Oops.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAfhpyid4r9AKbuW7hQ-n5OsFJY-UEXcRdU/

Last week I finished One Simple Idea, Heir of Fire, and Take a Thief.

The first one stretched my brain into a whole new shape. Learned some great things about licensing products, and I'm looking forward to talking to the author in a couple days.

The second was the 3rd in a series I read a while ago, typical young adult fiction, but still a fun read.

The third was one of the few Mercedes Lackey's I hadn't read yet from her Valdemar series, I quite enjoyed it.

So, one tougher read, two simple reads - one book I owned, two library books.

Still working through library books this week, before I go back to the books I had started earlier.

Library books to read:

Quiet (love this so far)

Smartcuts

Teach Your Children Well

Obliquity

The Intelligent Investor

I'm frustrated with Ms. Sontag's philosophical trajectory for reasons I can't quite articulate. It's not quite disagreement with her position but something..."In a culture whose already classical dilemma is the hypertrophy of the intellect at the expense of energy and sensual capability, interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art...to interpret is to impoverish, to deplete the world--in order to set up a shadow world of "meanings"

Ugh, what is it about this that irks me? Or perhaps it's the gaping holes in my knowledge of the history of epistemology. I might need to go back to a much earlier source to be able to appreciate this. Though I did like this, "Away with duplicates of it, until we again experience more immediately what we have". The 'it' referring to the world though one wonders precisely what she means by 'immediately'

I'm frustrated with Ms. Sontag philosophical trajectory for reasons I can't quite articulate. It's not quite disagreement with her position but something..."In a culture whose already classical dilemma is the hypertrophy of the intellect at the expense of energy and sensual capability, interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art...to interpret is to impoverish, to deplete the world--in order to set up a shadow world of "meanings"

Ugh, what is it about this that it's irks me? Or perhaps it's the gaping holes in my knowledge of the history of epistemology. I might need to go back to a much earlier source to be able to appreciate this. Though I did like this, "Away with duplicates of it, until we again experience more immediately what we have". The 'it' referring to the world though one wonders precisely what she means by 'immediately'

I'm listening to what you have to say about Sontag. Illness as Metaphor was an eye opener for me when I read it ages ago.  I wonder now if I should cherry pick a couple of essays in Against Interpretation.

Currently reading:

The Viscount who Loved Me by Julia Quinnhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10190004-the-viscount-who-loved-me#other_reviews. Her books are always light and fun. I am almost done so won't mention it again because if I was reading in the half hour I have before picking up the dc's it would have been done. The next one is ready to go on my kindle.......

Jane Eyre, I haven't touched it since last week but plan to get it don in the next couple of days.

There Was a Little Girl.....Brooke Shields is my current read an occasional few pages book and I am impressed. Checked it out because of the infamous Calvin Klein ads which hit my senior year of high school. She is much more likeable than I ever imagined. Roughly half way through.

I have made a decision regarding History of the Middle Ages. I may end up doing it at the end of the year but would really love to dig in to several books that I have on my shelves that pertain to that time period, How to Read a Church (also have the village one), several on the Templars, and many others. I think I want a more local concentration.

Jane Eyre was one of my favorite college reads!  I saw Brook Shields talking about her book on Jimmy Fallon.  I think I'll add it to my list.

I'm almost done with The Conscious Parent, and I'm about to start the Tao of Pooh.

I have a few non fiction books lined up, I need to go through my book shelves and pick out some fiction.

My list is:

1. Gone Girl

2. All the Light We Cannot See

3. The Conscious Parent

4. The Tao of Pooh (in progress.)

Here's my goodreads, https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/13950352-amber-campbell

ETA:  I'm finally going to read the Jane Austen compilation I bought 10 years ago. :lol:

Julia,

I found some books on your list to add to my tbr list. Thanks!

And how have I not heard of Schall? I'm going to pick up a book or two of his...I think my dh would really like his stuff as well.

Went to Half Price Books yesterday when we ventured into the city for a gymnastics meet. Snagged a copy of St. Theophan the Recluse's "The Spiritual Life, and How To Be Attuned To It." It's one I've been wanting to get for a while, so I'm excited to have found it! I also found an old hardback of "My Darling Clementine: The Story of Lady Churchill" by Fishman, Dave Eggers' "Zeitoun," Stephen Lawhead's first book in the Song of Albion series (I had previously bought book 2 at my library book sale), and another gem, The Lord's Prayers by Elton Trueblood, plus some other miscellany.

I received my moleskine planner and "Art Journal Freedom" in the mail, along with a few art supplies, and found "The Decorated Page" at HPB yesterday. I've taken Nan's advice and started Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain last week. Here's to tamping down perfectionism and jumping into art journaling with both feet. (Yikes!)

Oh, and I'm oh-so-close to finishing "Everywhere Present" by Stephen Freeman.

I didn't get to the library until later in the week last week, so in desperation I read a free Kindle book that looked intriguing...it was Freefall by Kristen Heitzmann. I finished it just so I could say that I finished it, but I really wouldn't recommend it. The storyline kept getting dragged out; just when the current plot would get resolved, something else would pop up and the story would focus on it for a while, then it would get resolved and another plot would appear...basically, it should have been a three-part series. I would have stopped reading after the first book, though, lol.

I finally got to the library at the end of the week, and the first book I finished was In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke. It was a well-written biography of a Polish girl during WWII. I enjoyed reading about the war from the perspective of an individual living in Poland, trying to survive a war coming from two directions. It also touches on the camps that appeared after the war to house all the individuals that had nowhere to go back to when the war was done. The author used very vivid imagery; you get the picture of what she experienced and the things that have stuck with her for decades. At one point during a massacre she witnesses what looks like a fat bird flying up into the air and being shot down before coming to rest beside its mother, but her next words give you a glimpse of how her young mind was bordering on losing her grip on sanity:

"But it was not a bird. It was not a bird. It was not a bird."

Read so far this year...

1. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

3. Without a Trace by Colleen Coble

4. Tempest's Course by Lynette Sowell

5. Freefall by Kristen Heitzmann

6. In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke

I am currently reading The Adventures of Huck Finn (for school) and Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers.

I read A Wild Sheep Chase this week.  It's my first Murakami book, and I am considering doing another one, but can't decide which one to try next. 

I haven't read A Wild Sheep Chase yet, but my Murakami recommendation is either Wind Up Bird Chronicle or Kafka on the Shore.  I had a slight preference for Wind Up Bird, but Kafka was amazing, a bit of a head trip, but does a great job at bringing so many parts of Japanese culture together.  I must reread it at some point.  

I didn't realize Mortdecai was based on books.  I really want to see the movie.  It looks like fun.

I'm still working on All the Light We Can Not See.  I have a little over a 100 pages to go.  It's a terrific book, so different from any other WW 2 book I've read.  The writing is beautiful, and it's been a pleasure to read.  

I didn't realize Mortdecai was based on books.  I really want to see the movie.  It looks like fun.

I'm still working on All the Light We Can Not See.  I have a little over a 100 pages to go.  It's a terrific book, so different from any other WW 2 book I've read.  The writing is beautiful, and it's been a pleasure to read.  

Oh, I'm excited to hear what you think about the end!  I'll save my opinion until you are finished.  I too enjoyed the book.

Cleaning off the humor shelves in the home library, I found several for the neighborhood Wee Free box.  One though seems to have Kareni's name on it, Love's Reckless Rash by Rosemary Cartwheel. Interested?

My first thought was rash in the medical sense which I'll admit was not a selling point!  It does sound amusing, but I think I'll pass.  One wonders if the author's name is part of the parody -- Rosemary is reminiscent of Rosemary Rogers whose historical romances were hugely popular in the 1970s while Cartwheel is reminiscent of Barbara Cartland whose regency romances were popular at about the same time.  (And I'll date myself by saying that I read both of those authors in abundance back in the day!)

Regards,

Kareni

Just finished Kafka on the Shore. For me, this was the most consistently entertaining Murakami book (so far). 1Q84 and Wind-Up Bird had too much tedium and boredom mixed up with the interesting and entertaining bits. Kafka kept moving along. I had hoped to finish this Saturday or Sunday, but there was a Renaissance festival at my library, which turned out to be pretty good and took up a big chunk of my Saturday. The best part was when I learned about manicules - pictures of pointing hands that Wikipedia calls a punctuation mark, but they were explained to me as a symbol commonly drawn in manuscripts to point out important parts. 

manicule2.jpg

Then, realizing this was a three-day weekend, I decided to go to the Zen center on Sunday though I knew that would definitely push Kafka out for another day. It was a full weekend, if not a weekend full of reading.

I did not do well with Zentangles last week, only finished two (or three?), but plan to make one after I finish typing this and make lunch. 8/42 Zentangles complete.

I started Lyrical Ballads by Wordsworth and Coleridge. Parts of it are re-reads, others parts new-to-me. I plan to pick up Why Read Moby-Dick? and if I don't like that, I may start some Shakespeare. 

Shukriyya - Your Zentangle is gorgeous! I missed last week's and it isn't there anymore. I'll have to be quicker from now on! I did see your ds's. Awesome! I'm glad to see some children joining in. My middle ds said he made on at his friend's house a couple days ago, but he left it there and I didn't get to see it. :(

Jenn- Thanks for the explanation. Someday, I hope to learn to read kanji but that someday is looking really far off at the moment. I hope you recuperate quickly and that the time isn't all pain and frustration, that it gives you a chance to do some thing you might not otherwise get to do, even if that is just being lazy.

Shukriyya- What on earth are you reading... and why?... I have no interest in analyzing art; I,d rather put the time into figuring out how to make it, so I kind,v can see where she might be coming from, but she comes across as awfully judgmental in those quotes, enough to make me wonder how much she really knows...

All-

Everyone's comments about WH are further convincing me that the book is not for me.

Has anyone else intrigued by the references to homeschooling in Jane Austen,s books?

Nan

I'm finally getting into Unbroken. I wasn't disliking it but it wasn't grabbing me. I think I'm just in a reading funk because nothing I'm reading seems to grab me right now. Anyway, I already decided my next non-fiction will be The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon. I heard about it on NPR last Friday. Apparently the book has been out since 2009, but there's a movie adaptation coming soon, so the book is getting new publicity. It sounds fascinating to me.

As for fiction I'm still plugging along in The Brothers Karamazov and Ulysses. I'm also listening to The Phantom of the Opera.

Um, yeah. Kind of in a spin right now. Busy birthday weekend and today is Monday. Mondays are the hardest day of the week. Mondays are not my favorite. Why do my kids act surprised when they have to do lessons come Mondays? Why do they even try to escape it?

So reading. I've read chapter 1 in my A&P textbook. I need to read chapter 2 by Wed. I also need to do the homework which is all ONLINE and why does it have to be ONLINE?! Isn't it enough that I feel old in a class of babies but then I have to figure out how to use the software for the class to do the homework and quizzes?! So I've been reading all the "Help" and "Tutorial" pages all weekend. 

I've read through Mr. Q's chapter 1 and the lab to get ready for doing that lesson with my kids. 

I read the printer manual to fix the paper jam. 

I read over my kid's math assignments. 

I read (and made) a new cake frosting recipe that my ds requested. 

I read my "To Do" list

I read the ingredients on the case of protein bars my mom bought us to make sure we can eat them. 

And lastly, I am listening to Farmer Boy and The Mysterious Benedict Society in the car while driving with the kids. I do have one complaint about Farmer Boy. My kids always start complaining that they are absolutely starving when they've been listening to it. I swear that book is 92% food descriptions. 

I really enjoyed All the Light We Can Not See as well. It's one of my favorites from 2013. 

I missed last week since we were out in the cold, cold north. But I did finish Norwegian by Night. I'm a little obsessed with Scandinavia (my college major was Sweden and the European Union), so I enjoyed the descriptions of the people and what made Norwegians Norwegians. Overall it was a mystery with some musings on life in it.The author also touched on the ramifications of the war in Bosnia/Kosovo and how they still affect Europe and how many people just don't want to see it. Again, a topic that interests me. Very enjoyable, and I'd quote from it, but someone turned the wifi on my kindle and the book disappeared. But I liked that there was a little philosophy with my mystery. 

Next is HotMW--I'm a little behind because of the trip. But I'm going running this afternoon and will listen to chapters two and three then. I also want to look for some of the books mentioned in the first post on women. As far as what's next? Probably Quiet, about introverts, or something fairly easy. Girl Scout cookie sales start next week and my time will be severely limited.

Those who enjoy mysteries with a historical setting might enjoy this column:

Historical Mysteries: Elyse’s Recommendations.

Do read the comments as there are many suggestions located there.

Regards,

Kareni

Ooh, thank you. I've bookmarked the site until I can make some notes. I have read some of the recommended series (including some mentioned in the comments). I added a suggestion too.

I started reading historical mysteries for the same reason as the blog author. I got tired of the shock factor of the crimes in mysteries set in the current day (Chief Inspector Gamache series being one of the few exceptions). It also turns out I've had the first book on her recommended list for 2-1/2 years! I apparently picked it up when the Kindle version was free. So now I'll be adding a book I actually own, to my TBR list. ;)

And lastly, I am listening to Farmer Boy and The Mysterious Benedict Society in the car while driving with the kids. I do have one complaint about Farmer Boy. My kids always start complaining that they are absolutely starving when they've been listening to it. I swear that book is 92% food descriptions.

YES! That book always makes me so hungry!

Ooh, thank you. I've bookmarked the site until I can make some notes. I have read some of the recommended series (including some mentioned in the comments). I added a suggestion too.

I started reading historical mysteries for the same reason as the blog author. I got tired of the shock factor of the crimes in mysteries set in the current day (Chief Inspector Gamache series being one of the few exceptions). It also turns out I've had the first book on her recommended list for 2-1/2 years! I apparently picked it up when the Kindle version was free. So now I'll be adding a book I actually own, to my TBR list. ;)

I enjoyed The Her Royal Spyness series so I'll have to look at the others.

mum2:  When I think of Johnny Depp I picture a really cool pirate type...

He is forever Captain Jack to me!  What a sexy pirate!  I think Depp is an amazing actor.  His ability to become a character, no matter how complex or strange, always wows me.  But, he is still the pirate for me, too.

I, too, am awaiting Stacia's review on the book.  I put it on my TBR list from the books to movie link as well.

I've had a magical hike around the mist-drenched lake with adorable pup. It restored my mood which had been previously soured by Sontag's assertions on the nature of interpretation. She posits that a thing or event only has meaning when it's been interpreted. I chewed on this a bit while hiking and absorbing the stunning, eerie beauty of the forest I was walking in. The redwood is its own prayer, it has its own intangibles and ways of breathing that don't depend on us. Perhaps this is too poetic a view to counter Ms. Sontag's with but that's the point, she leaves no necessary expanse of space in her argument, it's all assertion and conviction, no vistas to breathe into.

Dh said she's a middle of the road philosopher. I haven't read enough of her to form an opinion beyond my initial dislike of her tone. They're rather an argumentative bunch, philosophers :lol: I'll continue with this first essay and reassess after that.

I'm frustrated with Ms. Sontag's philosophical trajectory for reasons I can't quite articulate. It's not quite disagreement with her position but something..."In a culture whose already classical dilemma is the hypertrophy of the intellect at the expense of energy and sensual capability, interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art...to interpret is to impoverish, to deplete the world--in order to set up a shadow world of "meanings"

Ugh, what is it about this that irks me? Or perhaps it's the gaping holes in my knowledge of the history of epistemology. I might need to go back to a much earlier source to be able to appreciate this. Though I did like this, "Away with duplicates of it, until we again experience more immediately what we have". The 'it' referring to the world though one wonders precisely what she means by 'immediately'

Revealing my ignorance because it's way over my head. I've read it several times and still trying to figure out exactly what it is she is getting at. Try rephrasing for my benefit and maybe you'll discover what it is that irks you.

Beautiful job, Robyn.  You all have convinced me and I broke down and ordered One Zentangle a day from Amazon. Now to talk my son into doing it with me.

Today is the anniversary of Edgar Allan Poe's birthday and Flavorwire has a fun article:  Guessing Game: Poe or Goth song lyrics

And for more books in translation, check out English Pen's Publisher's Translation highlights of 2015. or go to  Literary saloon  where they have a link to xcl database of books.

Has anyone here read A Wild Sheep Chase?  If so, do you have a recommendation for which book of Murakami's to read next?

I also started:

Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

The Book of Chameleons by  José Eduardo Agualusa

A History of the American People by Paul Johnson

The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

I did finish Norwegian by Night. I'm a little obsessed with Scandinavia (my college major was Sweden and the European Union), so I enjoyed the descriptions of the people and what made Norwegians Norwegians.

My book group read that recently.  I enjoyed it, too.

Concerning Historical Mysteries: Elyse’s Recommendations.:

...So now I'll be adding a book I actually own, to my TBR list. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed the column.  I need to add more of my own books to my immediate TBR list!

Regards,

Kareni

Jane Eyre was one of my favorite college reads! I saw Brook Shields talking about her book on Jimmy Fallon. I think I'll add it to my list.

I have read Jane Eyre a few times with the last time being maybe three years ago and have watched movies recently. I am currently too familiar and keep stopping when a part I find painful (after all I'm Jane) is coming.

I finished the Brooke Shields book this morning. The first half of the book was a much more fluent to read and enjoyable. Although she was dealing with her mother's alcoholism from a young age she seemed to be a pretty happy child which was reflected in her writing. The second half of the book was interesting but felt much different. I will be honest and say I found one gossipy point about her life with Agassi to be amazingly odd, I can't believe she didn't notice, hate to spoil it because it was a chuckle in the middle of a pretty somber part. Remind me when you read it so we can gossip! ;)

Revealing my ignorance because it's way over my head. I've read it several times and still trying to figure out exactly what it is she is getting at. Try rephrasing for my benefit and maybe you'll discover what it is that irks you.

It's not the content I'm struggling with it's her tone, the lack of space in her delivery. Brings out a bit of my fire ;)

Yeah, it's in the category of 'books I love to hate' for me. :lol:  I also include Patrick Suskind's Perfume on that list.

Maybe I need to create a 'books I love to hate' shelf on my Goodreads page. :tongue_smilie:

And, I beg the pardon of those who love those books. Please know that I'm not picking on you, just mocking my own visceral response to those same books.

That is so funny, I loved Perfume! Sure it was creepy and really weird, but fascinating nevertheless. Now, Wuthering Heights is definitely on my "love to hate" shelf. ;)

I think Depp is an amazing actor.  His ability to become a character, no matter how complex or strange, always wows me.  

Dh and I saw the trailer for Mortdecai the other night and he made a comment that's basically what you said. He said Depp looks completely different in every movie, often to the point where you don't recognize him. And yet it works. He IS each character he plays.

Uh-oh.  I will have to tell ds that Mortdecai is based on books.  He hates watching movies if he hasn't read them first!

finished this year:

Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness

What's Best Next

The Granny Square Book

Kids Knitting

Homespun Bride

Make Over: Revitalizing the Many Roles You Fill

Seven-Minute Marriage Solution

Invisibles:  The Power of Anonymous Work in an Age of Relentless Self-Promotion

Pollyanna

currently reading:

The History of the Medieval World

Confessions of an Organized Homemaker

Trusting God

How to be a High School Superstar

A World Without Cancer

I have read Jane Eyre a few times with the last time being maybe three years ago and have watched movies recently. I am currently too familiar and keep stopping when a part I find painful (after all I'm Jane) is coming.

I finished the Brooke Shields book this morning. The first half of the book was a much more fluent to read and enjoyable. Although she was dealing with her mother's alcoholism from a young age she seemed to be a pretty happy child which was reflected in her writing. The second half of the book was interesting but felt much different. I will be honest and say I found one gossipy point about her life with Agassi to be amazingly odd, I can't believe she didn't notice, hate to spoil it because it was a chuckle in the middle of a pretty somber part. Remind me when you read it so we can gossip! ;)

HAHA!  Now I HAVE to read it! ;)