Menu

Anyone use AOPS prealgebra as a supplement?

maize

DD11 started prealgebra a couple of months ago, we have been rotating through a variety of books since I had so many on the shelf (I'm not the only one, right?)

Anyway, of all of them she has latched on to JA as her favorite, so I think we will be making that our spine. But I personally really love the AOPS book and don't want to give it up entirely; I thought we would just continue working systematically through both since we're not in a hurry and I do want to make sure she has a really solid foundation at this level, but that is starting to feel like overkill for a kid who is good at math but doesn't love it.

Has anyone used AOPS prealgebra just as a supplement to another program? If so can you share how you used it?

Same here, Alcumus is a great supplement to challenge them.  If she can master the topic on Alcumus, I'm pretty confident that she gets it.  It's one of the few online programs I've seen where you can't just phone it in.  My dd prefers doing Alcumus for review/depth, once she's already covered a topic, rather than as a first exposure.