Menu

Minor, silly things that annoy you

PeacefulChaos

I'd love to hear some from others.  I'll probably have more, myself, but the one that prompted the start of this thread...

Why do people keep insisting that pregnancy is 10 months?  Pregnancy is not 10 months.  Pregnancy is 40 weeks.  One month is not 4 weeks.  So 40 weeks =/= 10 months.  

Similarly, I had my last period for one of my kids in February.  I had that kid nine months and a few days later, in November.  August to May is nine months, not ten.  Same with May to February.  (Yes, my kids have birthdays pretty much perfectly spaced 3 months apart.  And my anniversary is in August.)

Anyway.  It's not important.  It doesn't even apply to me anymore, as I'm done having kids.  It's just one of those things that I see that I go :001_huh:  every time.

Anyone else have little things that they see/hear that don't really matter, but just sort of have you like :blink: ?

When people leave a car length or more between themselves and the car in front of them at a stoplight. Especially if I'm stuck behind them and it means I can't get to the turn lane I need.

I have this same issue when I am standing in line and the person in front of me does not move forward but leaves a big gap between them and the person in front of them. Just move up already!

When someone cleans something I was going to clean as soon as I got to it.

When someone gives my kids something to eat that I don't approve of.

When someone buys my kids something they don't need and don't have space for.  (Anyone notice a theme here?)

Anyone looking over my shoulder when I'm working or at my computer.

Excessive security measures.

Loud gutteral noises, especially made while I'm trying to eat.

When someone pronounces "nuclear" as "nucular."

I've never heard of pregnancy being 10 months, always 9 months.  I wonder if that's one of those regional things.

My daughter was taught in driver's ed to leave at least a car length in front of her at stop lights.  They said that if she got hit from behind, and hit the car in front of her, it would be her fault.  Sounds bogus to me, but I haven't looked into it.  Perhaps the people doing this are all younger drivers who were all taught the same thing?  

My pet peeve would be when the school's auto-caller calls at 5:30 am to tell me that there is a two hour delay at school.  Thanks.

Drivers who don't use blinkers - followed closely by drivers who keep blinkers on when they aren't turning.

Finding dirty dishes or glasses right after I loaded the dish washer.

Commercials - fortunately we have a DVR so can skip these, but when I try to watch something live, it doesn't last long as the second time I see the same commercial the pet peeve gets me.  I can handle having live TV on when I'm staying active doing something else (like now, when the news is on, but I'm on the computer only half paying attention).

People who expect you to follow their directions without explanation as to why.

WHen my DH reads over my shoulder in bed so he can see what I'm reading.

I leave a gap with the car in front of me at a stoplight, although not a full car length. I don't want to hit the car if someone slams into me. I've always heard that anyone who hits someone from behind is automatically at fault. I hate when people pull out in front of me if I"m going fast. I have to break hard because I don't want to hit them from behind. I also drive with at least one car length between me and the car in front of me. I just don't trust drivers in my area. I meet up with too many stupid people. Most of the drivers I notice are on their cell phones.

I agree that it's correct to leave some distance between you and the car in front of you at stoplights and stop signs.  That's been taught in driver's ed for as long as I can remember (and that's a long time!).

Little pet peeves for me are people who pull out in front of me, drive a hundred yards and make a left turn.  Pulling out in front is bad enough, but then to go just a small distance and make me have to wait while you yield for a left turn?  Good grief.

Also when I'm cooking dinner and DH comes home and starts making his lunch for the next day.  Apparently he requires significantly more counter space to make a sandwich than I do to prepare a full meal.  I always think if he wants his dinner he should get outta my way and make his sandwich later!  And we have a really big kitchen with lots of counter space, so that's not the problem!

Starting a load of laundry and then realizing I dropped/missed something when it's too late to add that item.

Drivers who think they're being nice by ignoring traffic rules to let you go first.  That's DANGEROUS, people!

That is the unspoken rule where we live.  We've had to adapt, but it does work and, to some extent, seems more fair. 

Fair and "common sense" tend to win in many rural areas over anything "legal."

We can always tell who's not native to the area though.  ;)  They can be the "dangerous" ones who get honked at.  (Dangerous is in quotes because obviously who is causing the danger depends upon your point of view - legal vs local "rules.")

People, just people.  :lol:

I'm on my second cup of coffee and the first one isn't kicking in, that's annoying. 

Seriously though, people who wait for so long before progressing through the green light. It's not a safety issue around here, we're rural, it's that people move slower. Find the gas pedal already. 

Cats who poop beside the clean litter box not in it.  :cursing:

My daughter was taught in driver's ed to leave at least a car length in front of her at stop lights.  They said that if she got hit from behind, and hit the car in front of her, it would be her fault.  Sounds bogus to me, but I haven't looked into it.  Perhaps the people doing this are all younger drivers who were all taught the same thing?  

I don't know what the law says, but I had an accident with that exact scenario.  I was rear ended hard enough to slam my van into the car in front of me at a stop light.  The police officer questioned witnesses to make sure I was already stopped at the light when the truck hit me, and I did not get a ticket nor did the insurance company fault me for hitting the other driver.  I was probably only 3 feet from the other stopped car.

Pet peeves:

When I wake up 10 minutes before my alarm goes off.  I just know those are the best ten minutes of sleep I would have gotten all night ;)

When my dh incites horseplay with the kids in the kitchen while I'm cooking.  

Someone creasing paper.  Seriously, it makes me want to murder the offender.  It is the sound paper cuts make, people!!

When people leave a car length or more between themselves and the car in front of them at a stoplight. Especially if I'm stuck behind them and it means I can't get to the turn lane I need.

I always do this.  Not getting too close to cars prevents bumping and other minor accidents.  It also gives me space to maneuver out if something goes wrong (like the car in front of me breaks down or something).

People who are vague and want you to ask questions but they continue to give vague answers like it is some big secret.

I really DO NOT CARE about whatever it is, I am just trying to be polite by asking you.

Particularly on Facebook!  

People who want to have meetings with you but won't tell you what they are about. I worry!!

I refuse to go to those.  If it's worth having a whole meeting (rather than just a phone conversation or email) then it is something that I want to prep for (if only mentally).  If you can't tell me what it's about, I can't come.

As an addendum to that, I hate when people leave messages on my answering machine that just say "call me".  If you are calling, tell me what you want (even if it's only just to chat).  "Call me" isn't a message, it's an instruction, and it's rude.

I don't know what the law says, but I had an accident with that exact scenario.  I was rear ended hard enough to slam my van into the car in front of me at a stop light.  The police officer questioned witnesses to make sure I was already stopped at the light when the truck hit me, and I did not get a ticket nor did the insurance company fault me for hitting the other driver.  I was probably only 3 feet from the other stopped car.

Pet peeves:

When I wake up 10 minutes before my alarm goes off.  I just know those are the best ten minutes of sleep I would have gotten all night ;)

When my dh incites horseplay with the kids in the kitchen while I'm cooking.  

Someone creasing paper.  Seriously, it makes me want to murder the offender.  It is the sound paper cuts make, people!!

LOL!

I hate it when I DON'T wake up before the alarm goes off.  It's so much nicer to wake up on my own than to the loud, blaring music that DH likes.  Plus when I wake up on my own it generally means I'm ready to get up, and at a good place in my sleep cycle so that I won't feel slow and stupid all day.

Getting a gift card to a Very Nice restaurant, only to find that the gift card (intended for my husband and me to have a date night) does not even cover one entree.  So we can't afford to use it.  I don't even have anyone to regift it to because no one I know could afford to use it!

(I guess I could send my husband alone.) 

People who insist on putting silverware in the dishwasher the WRONG way, then arguing with me about it when I ask them to stick to the correct way.  Since I take care of the dishwasher 99% of the time, my way wins!

Talking about folks rear-ending each other at stop lights reminds me of the time I was in traffic court with my dd when she had to appear after a traffic accident that totaled our old van, but was not her fault. Rain-slick road,  blind curve, ....and a stalled car hidden just around the bend in her lane that had already been rear-ended once, leaving dd the choice of hitting the stalled car, veering into oncoming traffic, or bashing into the metal railing at the side of the road.  DD was also being tailgated by a dude in a red car.  DD slammed on brakes, van skidded into the car that had rear-ended the stalled car, the red car rear-ended our van - then took off speeding before anyone got the license number.  Note the only car totaled was our old van :-(   No person got hurt, as it was 25 mph tops anyone was going.

In traffic court, when they called up dd, the folks who had cars 1 and 2 went up too, confusing the court, but they wanted to all calmly tell what happened. No one got a ticket.  It was just one of those things. 

I don't mind if people leave space (in the line at the red light) when there's nobody behind them.  But when there's a line of 3 or more people and it's blocking driveways for half of the county, then the "safety" thing doesn't make sense.

I was in an accident once on the freeway, where the person in front of me slammed on his brakes, I slammed on mine, and just as I was saying "whew, close one," the person behind me hit me and pushed me into the car in front of me.  The lady behind me admitted her mistake (that's always nice) and no fault was attributed to me.

Seriously though, people who wait for so long before progressing through the green light. It's not a safety issue around here, we're rural, it's that people move slower. Find the gas pedal already. 

This made me recall a great memory!  A sweet, soft-spoken friend used to pick me up and drive me to high school.  One day the driver in front of us sat at a green light a little too long for my friend's liking. I can still hear her in my mind saying loudly, "The light ain't gonna get no greener!"  

Remembering that makes me smile!

Oh yeah, the way some people load the dishwasher.  Don't even get me started!

And the refusal to keep one of the two kitchen sink basins empty.  I have told them about this at least 50 times.  This morning, once again there are two used teacups in there.  Wondering at what point I should give up ....

When I learned to drive in snow country, we were taught to stop the length of car behind the one in front of us - mostly due to the fact the road was often icy and you didn't always stop where you intended to stop. I'm now in no-snow country, and I still stop about half a car length behind the car in front and am teaching my oldest to do that too.  If I notice the car behind me has their right turn blinker on (which means they haven't stopped right on my back bumper) and I can safely do so, I will move up so they have room. I will not do so if the space would be tight anyway - cars have been scraped bumpers/sides in the effort to do so.

Chill, people, safety is much more important than being a few minutes late!

People who are vague and want you to ask questions but they continue to give vague answers like it is some big secret.

I really DO NOT CARE about whatever it is, I am just trying to be polite by asking you.

Particularly on Facebook!

Yes! If you (general you) don't want to tell people what you're talking about, DON'T be vague about it on FB. If you do want people to know, make it clear. 😬

When people change lanes through a turn. I never turn right when the traffic across the intersection from me is turning too, because even though they are in the left lane turning left, most of them end up in the right lane after the turn. The lane I want to turn into. 

I've only ever heard the ten months thing once and just thought the lady was stupid. <blush> 

When someone tries to convince you to do something their way, even though you are perfectly happy with the way you do it. AND the way you do it doesn't affect them or anyone else at all. Example: my mil once came over while I was making hard boiled eggs (boiling them in a pot). She told me I needed to get an egg cooker, which apparently is some appliance that can only be used to make hard boiled eggs. I told her I would rather just use the pot, as I can use it for many things besides just boiling eggs. She brought this up several more times and one day said she was going to buy me one. I told her that she could if she wanted, but I would just donate it to the thrift store because I would never use it and I didn't want it cluttering up my cabinets. That was the end of that. I have many more examples, but I'll stop there. :)

I refuse to go to those.  If it's worth having a whole meeting (rather than just a phone conversation or email) then it is something that I want to prep for (if only mentally).  If you can't tell me what it's about, I can't come.

As an addendum to that, I hate when people leave messages on my answering machine that just say "call me".  If you are calling, tell me what you want (even if it's only just to chat).  "Call me" isn't a message, it's an instruction, and it's rude.

Well I can't really tell my boss that :D The meeting went well, I was offered a promotion :)

I'd love to hear some from others.  I'll probably have more, myself, but the one that prompted the start of this thread...

Why do people keep insisting that pregnancy is 10 months?  Pregnancy is not 10 months.  Pregnancy is 40 weeks.  One month is not 4 weeks.  So 40 weeks =/= 10 months.  

Similarly, I had my last period for one of my kids in February.  I had that kid nine months and a few days later, in November.  August to May is nine months, not ten.  Same with May to February.  (Yes, my kids have birthdays pretty much perfectly spaced 3 months apart.  And my anniversary is in August.)

Anyway.  It's not important.  It doesn't even apply to me anymore, as I'm done having kids.  It's just one of those things that I see that I go :001_huh:  every time.

Anyone else have little things that they see/hear that don't really matter, but just sort of have you like :blink: ?

When someone tries to convince you to do something their way, even though you are perfectly happy with the way you do it. AND the way you do it doesn't affect them or anyone else at all. Example: my mil once came over while I was making hard boiled eggs (boiling them in a pot). She told me I needed to get an egg cooker, which apparently is some appliance that can only be used to make hard boiled eggs. I told her I would rather just use the pot, as I can use it for many things besides just boiling eggs. She brought this up several more times and one day said she was going to buy me one. I told her that she could if she wanted, but I would just donate it to the thrift store because I would never use it and I didn't want it cluttering up my cabinets. That was the end of that. I have many more examples, but I'll stop there. :)

I have people like that.  Makes me crazy.  And then I look ... crazy ... for being irritated instead of thankful.

I have this friend who hates my coat.  I like my coat.  It's just what I need.  But she's always threatening to buy me another coat.  A couple times she actually did buy me a coat, which I refused to accept.  Some people ....  This is the same person who won't stop buying my kids hoodies and sweat pants, of which they now have at least 10 sets, which they can hardly ever use (not allowed in school, church, sports, scouts, etc.), which I need superhuman strength to jam into their storage space.  If I complain, she says I should get rid of some of the perfectly good clothing that she didn't buy.  :/

Just thought of another thing:

I hate when people use text-speak outside of texting (I don't really even like it in texting, but I'm willing to endure).  I hate it when someone emails me "thx" and I have to sit there and wonder what that means before realizing that it means "thanks"...like a few more letters would have killed you?  Or worse, when they speak it out loud.  "OMG! Lol!, Ik,r?"  Ugh.

Getting a gift card to a Very Nice restaurant, only to find that the gift card (intended for my husband and me to have a date night) does not even cover one entree.  So we can't afford to use it.  I don't even have anyone to regift it to because no one I know could afford to use it!

(I guess I could send my husband alone.) 

I completely agree.  A gift card to a restaurant should at least cover dinner for 2, complete. 

Here's at least something you could do with it, though, that I've done before: order dessert to go.  Take it home, and have dessert after the kids are in bed with your dh.  It's not a night out, but it's a treat, anyway.

I hate the sound of sniffing and snorting. It's like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Just blow your nose, people! So of course my children are all sniffers. Sigh.

I've been heard many times directing my youngest.  "Go to the bathroom and BLOW your nose.  Don't just WIPE it, BLOW it.  All the way."  Five seconds later, "sniff.  Sniff.  Sniff."  "I told you to   *BLOW*   your nose.  BLOW, do you know what BLOW means?  Go do it."  Sigh....

Appliances that think they are smarter than me.

My old range hood fan would NOT shut off if it sensed any steam. If I boiled water, it came on by itself and wouldn't stop until it thought everything was clear, even if I pushed the power button.

My washing machine is a cheap top-loader but the lid locks while it is running. Is it concerned that I will drown? Have a limb ripped off in the spin cycle??

You are not the boss!! We made you!!

And the refusal to keep one of the two kitchen sink basins empty. I have told them about this at least 50 times. This morning, once again there are two used teacups in there. Wondering at what point I should give up ....

This a HUGE pet peeve of mine! Dirty dishes go on the left and the right stays clear. I need someplace to wash my hands or thaw meat. DH is the worst at this.

Another one--people who refer to their pets as children, call themselves Dog Mom, etc. if you do that, my brain is going to automatically picture you birthing a dog. I can't help it.

People who insist on putting silverware in the dishwasher the WRONG way, then arguing with me about it when I ask them to stick to the correct way.

When my homeschooling journey is over and I rejoin the work force, I will include "Only family member who knows how to load a dishwasher." on my C.V.