Menu

curricula for severely memory impaired?

heiditam

Hi :) My name is heidi, and my older son has a severe seizure disorder. We had surgery a little over a year ago, where we removed his short term memory. As you can imagine, learning new concepts(especially math, which needs a good working memory) is especially difficult. He still has seizures in the areas of his memory that we left intact. He has a good visual memory. Auditory memory is extremely weak, short term gone...long term is okay if you can get information banked there...

We are currently using sonlight for history and reading-he loves to read, but we are trying to figure out how to help him comprehend more. I have the visualizing and verbalizing materials, but need to really learn it myself before I start with him...that should help...what other reading comprehension techniques can I try with him? 

We are using sequential spelling, and starting at level 1...spelling is very hard for him. 

For math, we are currently using calvert and math mammoth for extra practice. I know he needs a mastery approach...we are currently 3 years behind in math, so I am doing 3rd grade right now...open to any and all programs-to use in conjunction or alone after we get through year 3 materials...this is his hardest subject-the short term memory disability really is obvious when we do math...really would love to know what anyone uses for math with a memory impaired kiddo...

Thanks! 

Have you talked with a neuropsychologist to see if cognitive therapies could help develop new pathways?  They do this with other people with brain damage due to stroke, etc.  It would be worth asking about.  Also maybe post on the LC section and see if Geodob notices?  This would be right up his alley.

Welcome to the boards.  :)

Heiditam,

I would rather re-title your thread, as severely auditory memory impaired.

Where it is important to recognize his 'good visual memory' !

Though something that I wonder about? 

Is if he learned some basic ASL sign language?

If he could learn to sign a word, and retain it in his short term memory?

With practice, retain it in his long term memory?

Sign language is not just a method of communication?

But for people born without hearing, it is also a way of thinking.

So that they think in signs,

But they do this without physically making the signs,

As they imagine the signs.

In the same way, that you would be imagining the sounds of the words, as you read this.

So that sign language could provide him with an additional way of thinking?

Heiditam,

I would rather re-title your thread, as severely auditory memory impaired.

Where it is important to recognize his 'good visual memory' !

Though something that I wonder about? 

Is if he learned some basic ASL sign language?

If he could learn to sign a word, and retain it in his short term memory?

With practice, retain it in his long term memory?

Sign language is not just a method of communication?

But for people born without hearing, it is also a way of thinking.

So that they think in signs,

But they do this without physically making the signs,

As they imagine the signs.

In the same way, that you would be imagining the sounds of the words, as you read this.

So that sign language could provide him with an additional way of thinking?

That is an idea that I will explore-thanks :) 

Have you talked with a neuropsychologist to see if cognitive therapies could help develop new pathways?  They do this with other people with brain damage due to stroke, etc.  It would be worth asking about.  Also maybe post on the LC section and see if Geodob notices?  This would be right up his alley.

Welcome to the boards.   :)

Yes. We see a neuropsychologist a couple times a year. We do the tests, and he gives us recommendations on how to tailor his learning to his needs. His best recc is to break up work into small segments, and repetition of concepts, and using visual, real life examples. 

Yes. We see a neuropsychologist a couple times a year. We do the tests, and he gives us recommendations on how to tailor his learning to his needs. His best recc is to break up work into small segments, and repetition of concepts, and using visual, real life examples. 

You might want to check out Remedia Publications. They produce tons of special education materials. The material we've used were very basic, with the learning broken into small segments. They also have a variety of things beyond workbooks that might help provide some visual examples. This Remedia product stood out to me as something that you might find helpful: http://www.rempub.com/math/math-curriculum-mastery-visual-learning-guides-gr-3 .

We have used some Remedia materials, but not for math. We use Singapore Math-- which moves rather quickly--but Singapore Math does offer lots and lots of math manipulatives. Manipulatives can help students to visualize the various concepts, plus they can be fun. You might explore to see if they can be incorporated into whatever you use for math. http://www.singaporemath.com/Homeschool_Manipulatives_s/61.htm

Another suggestion, apart from school materials, is a book called "Help For Memory" from Lingua Systems. http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10038 It teaches techniques to help those with memory impairments.