Arcadia

In case anyone is interested

http://www.russianschool.com/olympiad

"Open to any students in Grades 2 - 9
Features fun and challenging problems for novices and veteran test takers
75-minute individual competition with fill-in-the-blank questions
Winners chosen by age category"

ETA:
Didn't realize there are no solutions for the samples. The format seems similar to MOEMS. I don't mind 75 mins of "free babysitting" since two centers are nearby.

OK, let me give it a go.

Let  a = # of puppies

and b = # of parakeets

How many eyes altogether? 2a + 2b

How many beaks altogether? b

We know the there are 20 more eyes than beaks, so

2a + 2b = 20 + b

We simplify this to get

2a + b = 20

Now find the number of feet!

How many feet are there in terms of a and b? Four per puppy and two per parakeet, so there are 4a + 2b feet altogether.

Now we factor the expression we found for total feet

2*(2a + b)

But we already know 2a + b from above; it equals 20!

So total feet = 2*(2a+b) = 2 * 20 = 40 feet.

The tricky part in this problem is that you can't solve for the number of puppies or the number of parakeets. You're correct in that there are multiple combinations that work. You could, for example, have 5 puppies and 10 parakeets. Or, you could have 8 puppies and 4 parakeets. In each example, though, you get 40 total feet. :001_smile:

• Like 5

OK, let me give it a go.

Let  a = # of puppies

and b = # of parakeets

How many eyes altogether? 2a + 2b

How many beaks altogether? b

We know the there are 20 more eyes than beaks, so

2a + 2b = 20 + b

We simplify this to get

2a + b = 20

Now find the number of feet!

How many feet are there in terms of a and b? Four per puppy and two per parakeet, so there are 4a + 2b feet altogether.

Now we factor the expression we found for total feet

2*(2a + b)

But we already know 2a + b from above; it equals 20!

So total feet = 2*(2a+b) = 2 * 20 = 40 feet.

The tricky part in this problem is that you can't solve for the number of puppies or the number of parakeets. You're right in that there are multiple combinations that work. You could, for example, have 5 puppies and 10 parakeets. Or, you could have 8 puppies and 4 parakeets. In each example, though, you get 40 total feet. :001_smile:

Thanks so much. I did get those 40 at first but later got twisted up and got confused between beaks and eyes (well, unless we are talking about a bunch of one-eyed birds)... Anyway, I really appreciate it as this was bugging me.

• Like 1

DS took it last year, and he liked it but we never got his results so I don't think it's worth the drive again. You'd think that they would've used it as marketing for their centers ("Your kid scored in the Xth percentile but if he were enrolled with us, he could do better!") but nope.

• Like 1

DS took it last year, and he liked it but we never got his results so I don't think it's worth the drive again.

That is so weird. I'll ask the center on the test day when we will get the results. The center we pick is very near our favorite asian grocery stores so it's not a hassle for us.

• 4 weeks later...

We were 15 minutes late since I couldn't find it despite waze app telling me that it was right there. In the middle of the parking lot. DD went there to see if there would be a shirt or something (free test, no souvenirs kid). I didn't even bother to ask when results would be released.

Incidentally I asked about signing up for a class. It seems reasonable ($47 per 2-hour class every week) but I would have to pay for the rest of the semester and it's a bit too much at the moment especially if I don't know exactly what they teach. I asked about Art of Problem Solving, but person hadn't heard of it and said that their curriculum is based on Russian math which is really at the highest level of problem solving.

• 2 months later...

I had an email from RSM for my 4th grader saying the results are out. Don't know if results are released by grade level. Now I am waiting for their webpage to update.

ETA:
I just got the email for my 5th grader today. Delay due to same email address for both kids.

• Like 1

Thank you! I also had an email from them which I found in the promotions tab after I went looking for it.

The email tells me that my dd got a Bronze Award for her grade. It doesn't say how many problems she solved correctly or in what percentage does she fall.

I guess I should be happy for my daughter but more details would be good to have.

• Like 3