Menu

Any reviews of WTM Academy Rhetoric class?

My daughter is currently taking the Intro to Rhetoric with Kathleen Brian. When we began the year, she absolutely hated writing anything. I could barely get her to compose a grocery list for me despite having worked through several writing programs and an online Bravewriter class. Now, this is her favorite class. She adores her instructor and looks forward to the class because she is more confident as a writer and Ms. Brian makes the class fun. I often hear her giggling while class is in session. The course is challenging for my daughter and the feedback is very helpful. Money well spent!

• Like 5

I don't want to derail the OP (but its a bump, right?)... I own WWS 1 & 2 and this dd has been through most of WWS1 already. I just suck at teaching it. I've printed out the syllabus for Intro to Rhetoric already to look it over. She's "allergic to the pencil," so it sounded like your dd & mine were similar in that way. She'll already be a bit over-scheduled next year since she'll be taking two languages and she wants to add a third... She might be able to do an hour a day, but not more. (Honestly, I'm having trouble seeing her spending more than 30 minutes a day writing. I have to spread it out so much with her now.) 

Okay. *cough* Back to the OP.   Rhetoric I reviews anyone?  :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

RootAnn, that is exactly where we were before we took this class. So many tears and we went through WWS1 and I also had a hard time teaching it to her. The class is fun and I think that motivates her. I also think her writing issues were a problem for HER that she wanted to solve. So the self motivation has helped her make progress. 

• Like 1

O

... She might be able to do an hour a day, but not more. (Honestly, I'm having trouble seeing her spending more than 30 minutes a day writing. I have to spread it out so much with her now.) 

Okay. *cough* Back to the OP.   Rhetoric I reviews anyone?  :coolgleamA:

I have not been shy over the years about dropping one of my kids' online classes when the class has required an overwhelming amount of time.  (Lukeion Latin, anyone? cough, cough)

My son devotes about 4 - 5 hours per week to Rhetoric I, including the 2 hours of live instruction per week.  He enjoys the class and the assignments.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm curious how this class fits into overall plans/transcripts. Do you do literature separately? Do you give another credit for literature? Typically, doesn't English I include writing, grammar, and literature? So does this class count for one whole credit for writing? Would literature be in addition?

I have been wondering this also.

• Like 1

Chiming in, too.  Ds is taking Rhetoric with Chloe Richardson.  He has always struggled with writing and doesn't particularly like to write.  Given that, this is one of the best classes he has ever had.  The teacher is very good with the students and goes out of her way to help them.  I was hoping we could get her in the next Rhetoric level class, but alas, I don't see her as an option.  Time spent?  Probably about 5-6 hours a week, including 2 hours of live lecture.  Writing and re-writing a lot every week.  Reading was from a rhetoric book, but now is Socrates, Plato, etc.  I really like how she took everything they learned in the class and is making them apply it in real life reading.  Ds is also in debate and has said this class has helped him become a better debater, too.  I, too, am counting two credits for English this year.  Time spent in Rhetoric is extensive, plus time on Great Books (reading and writing about them) is another credit.

Hot Lava Mama

• Like 5

Chiming in, too.  Ds is taking Rhetoric with Chloe Richardson.  He has always struggled with writing and doesn't particularly like to write.  Given that, this is one of the best classes he has ever had.  The teacher is very good with the students and goes out of her way to help them.  I was hoping we could get her in the next Rhetoric level class, but alas, I don't see her as an option.  Time spent?  Probably about 5-6 hours a week, including 2 hours of live lecture.  Writing and re-writing a lot every week.  Reading was from a rhetoric book, but now is Socrates, Plato, etc.  I really like how she took everything they learned in the class and is making them apply it in real life reading.  Ds is also in debate and has said this class has helped him become a better debater, too.  I, too, am counting two credits for English this year.  Time spent in Rhetoric is extensive, plus time on Great Books (reading and writing about them) is another credit.

Hot Lava Mama

Thank you for the added input.  ( :banghead: One more awesome review for a teacher that isn't teaching the class next year.)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the added input.  ( :banghead: One more awesome review for a teacher that isn't teaching the class next year.)

Just wanted to update this thread as this is no longer the case! :) 

Any more reviews about Rhetoric with Chloé Richardson? I would be interested in hearing how class time is spent. I'm also interested in how much written feedback is given.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...