Menu

Comprehensive Timeline: History, Science, Literature and Art

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of programs have various timeline cards. If you are willing to combine a few sets of cards, you get close to a comprehensive timeline. Unfortunately, most are just European/Western centered.

As much as most of those cards are designed for younger kids, they are easily adaptable and really great to use as jumping off blurbs for different research opportunities.

Lots of programs have various timeline cards. If you are willing to combine a few sets of cards, you get close to a comprehensive timeline. Unfortunately, most are just European/Western centered.

As much as most of those cards are designed for younger kids, they are easily adaptable and really great to use as jumping off blurbs for different research opportunities.

Ohh I love the idea of making a set of cards that would cover Non Western history to blend in with the VP cards I have.

Hmm

We used to make baseball or Pokemon style cards for historical figures. Those were pretty fun.

I have my daughter read and draw and research on her own, not with a pre-made timeline. She uses a blank "History Portfolio".

I'd love to hear more about how you implement this.  Does she use a 3 ring bind for her portfolio?  Do you use any kind of spine to stay on track?

I need to devise a history program for my niece for next year and something along these lines might be a good fit for her.  Any elaboration would be appreciated.  

Not a curriculum, but a great resource to go with any History program, and one you could easily use in many ways in creating your own time cards or any number of other projects: The Timetables of History (Grun) runs from 5000BC to 2000AD, and has a horizontal layout showing what was going on in that timeframe side-by-side in seven different areas of human endeavor:

1. History/Politics

2. Theater/Literature

3. Religion/Philosophy/Thinking

4. Visual Arts

5. Music

6. Science/Tech/Growth

7. Daily Life

5000BC - 1000BC = 500 year chunks

1000BC - 500BC = 100 year chunks

500BC - 500AD = 50 year chunks

500AD - forward = year by year

It also includes a detailed index, to search for specific people, places and names of events. The 3rd edition goes up through 1990; I believe the 4th edition goes up through 2005. NOTE: Timetables of History is a hefty telephone-book-sized resource, so it can easily overwhelm. ;)

Looks like DK has published Smithsonian: Timelines of History, that has a lot of visuals, with a timeline running on each page, but more straight history-based without the individual categories of accomplishments separated out.