Menu

Moving 1000 miles away

bethben

My husband, who has been looking for a job for over two years, has a job in a state 1000 miles away.  We don't have a ton of extra cash for expensive housing for dh and I and the kids really don't want to be away from him for more than a month (which is too long already).  I'm also hesitant leaving a home during the very cold part of winter where a broken furnace can lead to thousand of dollars repairing broken pipes due to freezing.  How do we do this?!?!?  We would need a 3 bedroom apartment at least.  Renting a home doesn't work for wheelchair accessibility and we would wreck their walls and door frames with it anyway.

Beth

We moved 3,000 miles from home five years ago and just recently moved several states away from our second state.

We're not in wheelchairs. We rented an apt. initially which was a brilliant way to look for the right home. We still rent houses though. DH just didn't want to be tied to a mortgage and upkeep the way we once were.

PM me if I can be of any help.

Alley

I didn't move 1000 miles away, more like 150.  We found apartments to look at on Craigslist.  We basically scheduled them all on one day and went there and found something in one day.  It turned out to be a less than an idea apartment and we moved somewhere else about a year later, but we had no time so we had to take something.  From the time of knowing when we had to move to actually moving it happened within 2 weeks in the dead of winter.  However, we did not have to sell a home.  Although we had to break a lease and got lucky that the apartment was rented out quickly.  And we ended up borrowing some money to finance all of this. 

If you leave the house just keep the heat on. Not full blast, but a temp that can keep the coldest parts above freezing. 

I assume you mean a permanent move, but you didn't really say. 

We put our house in the market, drove 2000 miles and stayed in a furnished apartment for a couple of months. Once we got a contract on the old house, we atarted looking and found a handicap accessible house to buy.

Finding an accessible furnished apartment was the hardest. This was years ago so we used an agent. Today I would have better luck searching the Internet. We had five of us in 2 bedrooms and had to be careful with doors and such.

All I can add is that if you leave your home in the cold weather for awhile, can you have a friend or neighbor check on it?  A lot of people leave their homes in the winter. 

I learned from experience, when we left our home one day not realizing we wouldn't be back for a year and a half.  (long story.)  A friend stopped by once/week to check on things, but during a really frigid spell our furnace gave out and three of the four major water lines froze and cracked, causing thousands of dollars of damage to our home.  Fortunately our homeowners insurance covered every penny of it.  We still are often gone for part of the winter, but now my next-door-neighbor stops by every day, and he has several emergency numbers to call.  It has worked out fine.

Is this a permanent job? Is there a reason that you aren't selling the home that you own?

We've moved a ton of times. Being military helps because they pick up the tab on the actual move, but we still have to find a house to rent/buy, put up security deposits and all of that.

If you are new to an area and plan to stay, then I would recommend renting a handicap accessible apartment until you get a feel for the area and where you will want to live.

My husband, who has been looking for a job for over two years, has a job in a state 1000 miles away. We don't have a ton of extra cash for expensive housing for dh and I and the kids really don't want to be away from him for more than a month (which is too long already). I'm also hesitant leaving a home during the very cold part of winter where a broken furnace can lead to thousand of dollars repairing broken pipes due to freezing. How do we do this?!?!? We would need a 3 bedroom apartment at least. Renting a home doesn't work for wheelchair accessibility and we would wreck their walls and door frames with it anyway.

Beth

We rented a condo for five months once. We never damaged anything with DS's wheelchair.