Menu

Need homeschool curriculum for ADHD and other spectrum disorders

Guest tpollard

Guest tpollard

I have a young boy who has many issues, including ADHD, BI-Polar diagnosis, sensory issues, anxiety. He is 7 years old and we decided to pull him from kindergarten to help him including medications to help.  We have decided to give homeschooling a try and have no experience in homeschooling.  I need suggestions on which ones have been successful with the above issues and helping a little boy feel better about himself. Which curriculums have you had success in?

Thank you for your help.

Hugs.  I wouldn't just leap right in and buy a curriculum until you've had some time to research this.  Your son has a lot going on and since you are pulling him I will assume that school was a poor fit.  He may need some detox time.

You might read the following to see if they help at all:

How to Homeschool Your Struggling Learner by Kathy Kuhl

The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling by Debra Bell 

ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life (your son may need a lot of structure and consistency presented in a very positive way...this book might help, even if you are not ADD yourself)

In the meantime, while you maybe read other posts on TWTM and read through some other sources, you might look at homeschooling groups in your area.  Having local support could be invaluable.  

The board you posted on is part of a larger community.  Keep checking in as we are all different schedules.  Hopefully there will be many helpful responses.  

Hugs and best wishes.  You are not alone.

Welcome!

A lot of people who pull kids from school "deschool" for a bit, before jumping into academic curriculum. Would you be ok taking some time to decompress, get his medication and other help worked out, and just enjoy each other? This would also give you a chance to research curriculum and get a feel for what he is and isn't ready to do.

When ready you could begin with low stress school: listen to audio books/do read alouds, play with c rods for math (see the neat education unboxed videos free online http://www.educationunboxed.com/).Does he do ok with videos? My boys loved Magic School Bus videos for science. I used to be able to find Reading Rainbow videos online. We used (free) http://www.progressivephonics.com/ to learn to read. It was effective and fun. I used RightStart for math (hands on/visual). If he loves c-rods, Miquon is a curriculum that uses that. You might want to find one subject (say math) that works, then phonics, then handwriting, etc...adding one at a time. No rush.

You have plenty of time to research, try things, and switch what isn't a fit. Prioritize his well being over academics. You also have a chance to work on his special needs. People here can share what they've used for specific issues (I'm targeting emotional regulation right now with my son (ASD, ADHD, OCD)).

• Like 4

Guest tpollard

Hugs.  I wouldn't just leap right in and buy a curriculum until you've had some time to research this.  Your son has a lot going on and since you are pulling him I will assume that school was a poor fit.  He may need some detox time.

ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life (your son may need a lot of structure and consistency presented in a very positive way...this book might help, even if you are not ADD yourself)

In the meantime, while you maybe read other posts on TWTM and read through some other sources, you might look at homeschooling groups in your area.  Having local support could be invaluable.  

The board you posted on is part of a larger community.  Keep checking in as we are all different schedules.  Hopefully there will be many helpful responses.  

Guest tpollard

Both my kids have ADHD and sensory issues.  Ds adds in apraxia and some other things to the mix.  Is he functioning as a 1st or 2nd grader?  Is he getting OT?  Any fine motor issues?  The only things that are really nitpicky are handwriting and math.  For those you're going to want to take your time and find something that works for him.  How is his reading?  If he's having issues there, then find something for that.  Beyond that, I would look at MFW or SL.  Well I guess I didn't ask, do you want secular or religious?  I'm saying look for things that include intriguing stories and hands-on.  Not a bunch of workbooks.  He's *probably* a kinesthetic learner and someone who will benefit from hands-on.  Anything you DO is likely to be what he remembers most, so look for things that make it easy for you to DO stuff.  Whether it's science kits or history with activities manuals or Lit Wit guides that include activities to go with the books.  As long as it involves doing, you'll be on track.

Welcome to the boards!  :)

• Like 3

I'm not sure what to recommend since these kiddos can vary so widely in what works for them. I am going with sbgrace on this one. However, I will say that working on anxiety was our biggest thing first year (my son has ASD, ADHD, SPD). We are on year 3 and have tried ADHD meds--that's made things so much smoother. OT has been helping as well. In addition to sensory stuff, the OT is using the Zones of Regulation curriculum with him. I am not sure what age is a good to start that, but you could ask. The highs and lows are closer together these days. Our son needs structure, but we follow more of a routine than a strict schedule. If you can find out where your kiddo is on that front, that will help a lot with anxiety. I would definitely work on keeping up a good relationship, but please chime in with more questions as things crop up--sometimes it takes a while to figure out what to ask to get the specific answer you are aseeking, but we'll all try.

I do not use one publisher for curriculum--we've used a variety for different subjects. It doesn't have to look schoolish to be effective, but you also will want to find things that you feel help you out as the teacher. For me, that means being able to see the ending point and steps along the way, but not too scripted (Do this, then do that). I like to be able to meander and do things on the fly but know how far off track I am getting if we get bogged down. Others really like scripted stuff.

I think Pandia Press makes some fun science stuff for this age--they offer extensive samples of all their stuff, so you really can try it before you buy it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled my kid (autism) a few years ago under similar circumstances. Deschooling was critical for us (and took about 6 months). And I found I had to really pick and choose the priorities for the year. And that took a while of doing school to figure out what the priorities were. We changed lots of curriculum and plans along the way. For little kids (which is all I know), keep it simple and short. Read aloud-things they love-mine love history, mythology, and mayhem. Some writing, some reading, a little math. Not too much of any of it, and work on only one really hard thing at a time. I've got the curriculum we're using now down below. Most of them I like, though Dancing Bears is a bit hard for my almost 7 boy. I probably should have gone with Bear Necessities. 

My son is 7 also.  He's ADHD, likely dyslexic, severe articulation disorder/maybe some apraxia, likely PDD-NOS, and definitely has some anxiety.  First I would say that he is in kindergarten, so you have time to "relax" and figure out what is likely to work for him.  

You mention something to help him feel better about himself -- where are his strengths? and what are his weaknesses?  For my son, even with medication, our learning sessions have to be short -- 20 minutes max -- I'd start with 10 if I were in your shoes.  I set a timer and no matter where we are we just finish up the last problem, etc and then put the subject away.  Then meet them at their level.  It doesn't matter it its technically below grade level.  Just meet them where they are.  For my son, whose big weakness is articulation/phonics, that meant doing LiPS - a program that starts way at the basics -- just recognizing and labeling different phonetic sounds.  Finding the type of program that is at the right level for him has been tremendous!  He is making progress.  It is very slow, but it is continuous and he knows he is making progress and can feel proud of himself.  

I don't know where you are and what the homeschool regulations are in your state, but for kindergarten for a special needs kid, I would focus on writing, phonics, and math.  Thats it.  For the other subjects, just read books, go to the museum/zoo.  There's time for social studies/science/art/music later.  Unless he really likes one of those subjects, then by all means, let him at it. 

I really like Handwriting without Tears for handwriting.  I'm enjoying All About Reading for my daughter who does not have language issues and LiPS followed by Barton Reading and Spelling for my son who does.  There are so many math curriculums it is so hard, it really depends on what you think you and he might like.  Five in a Row is an often recommended literature/history/science resource.  It gives activities to go with really great children's books, but there is parent prep work involved.  Memoria Press has a really great enrichment guide for literature/social studies/ science/ music/art.  It's pretty open and go and relies mostly on books you could find at the library.  

One other thing, if you spend a lot of time in the car driving to therapies/appointments, think about audio books.  We started this year and they have been a huge hit.  Check out livrivox and audible.  We're currently listening to the Winnie the Pooh series and it's excellent.  

I second everything everyone else said, and want to add that for attention issues, curricula that breaks things down into small, concrete steps can be very helpful as well as curricula that repeat and review often. This helps with short attention spans and makes it easier for them to succeed. For my oldest with Autism w/ ADHD, Rod & Staff English, R&S Math, Calvert Spelling, and Memoria Lit. have been very successful. For my younger son, ADHS, inattentive type, Writing With Ease is working well. Fun supplements to break up the written work are also very helpful, like Bill Nye, Magic Schoolbus videos, BrainPop, etc.

• 6 months later...

Welcome!

A lot of people who pull kids from school "deschool" for a bit, before jumping into academic curriculum. Would you be ok taking some time to decompress, get his medication and other help worked out, and just enjoy each other? This would also give you a chance to research curriculum and get a feel for what he is and isn't ready to do.

When ready you could begin with low stress school: listen to audio books/do read alouds, play with c rods for math (see the neat education unboxed videos free online http://www.educationunboxed.com/).Does he do ok with videos? My boys loved Magic School Bus videos for science. I used to be able to find Reading Rainbow videos online. We used (free) http://www.progressivephonics.com/ to learn to read. It was effective and fun. I used RightStart for math (hands on/visual). If he loves c-rods, Miquon is a curriculum that uses that. You might want to find one subject (say math) that works, then phonics, then handwriting, etc...adding one at a time. No rush.

You have plenty of time to research, try things, and switch what isn't a fit. Prioritize his well being over academics. You also have a chance to work on his special needs. People here can share what they've used for specific issues (I'm targeting emotional regulation right now with my son (ASD, ADHD, OCD)).

Thank you to tpollard for starting this thread and all who replied!!! I came on TWTM forum today searching resources for my ASD son, as traditional HS curriculums aren't cutting it, and you provided-THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I know you didn't reply for me, but You've sure been a blessing!!!!

• Like 2

I think the key is knowing your child, or getting to know him. I have four children, each with very different needs and no one curriculum works for all of them.  I try something, I see how they respond and then decide if it works for us.  Sometimes I do ask them to work through difficult materials even if they don't like them because the need to challenge themselves.  But, I have to be aware of each child's limits.  If working through something tough will cause the child to shut down completely, then it just isn't worth doing so.  KWIM? 

If you aren't seeing a therapist for the child, consider doing so.  A good therapist can offer you advice on how hard to push and what changes to make.  For instance, I can say to my child's therapist that he is struggling with X and she will say, "Well may try doing X,Y, Z next time and see how it goes."  Or sometimes she can explain to me why he is responding the way he is and help me adjust my expectations. 

FWIW, one of my children thrives using independent computer based curricula.  One likes idependent work- on paper or on computer.  Two like to passively take in instruction and learn more if I am reading or watching the material and then lecturing about it.   My full Aspie/ADHD hates to read books of any kind (even for fun) but will read online.  My ADHD and ??? struggled to learn to read but now enjoys doing so.   Out of my 4, 3 learn best with visual- video based media.