Menu

Has anyone used Life of Fred?

Guest FunMommy2Boys

Guest FunMommy2Boys

Has anyone used Life of Fred Math? I just purchased Math Mammoth for my boys but I've heard great things about Life of Fred too. Anyone used both? Can they be used together? Any other recommendations? Thanks!!

Has anyone used Life of Fred Math? I just purchased Math Mammoth for my boys but I've heard great things about Life of Fred too. Anyone used both? Can they be used together? Any other recommendations? Thanks!!

You can use LoF with anything.  Some people use it as a fun supplement to any math program...and some use it as their only math program.  I was just reading this blog post the other day...they use it as their main math program.  

We used it as a supplement for a few years. There's simply not enough review for us for it to be a math program on its own. He would tell us about something and sometimes not mention it again until another book. Then, in the other book, he would expect you to have remembered it from the first time he mentioned it, a book ago. We found those sorts of things very frustrating.

But as a supplement, it was ok. I personally, don't trust it as a the sole math program. I would not trust that the kids could retain what was mentioned only once or twice.

My daughter really enjoyed the story, but there wasn't enough practice in it to solidify concepts for her, so for us it worked only as a supplement. We used fractions, decimals and percents. For comparison purposes, she did not do well with Singapore (tried for 4 years, earlybird-4A, using US edition, then standards edition), but has done fine with Saxon (6/5-now in algebra 2). 

We use LoF for our Friday fun days. We use MM as our core math curriculum the rest of the week. Then we use CLE (for my oldest) and Beast Academy as our 'take a break' math when we are ahead with MM.

I don't find LoF to be a thorough enough math to be used alone.

• 4 weeks later...