Menu

Rethinking Algebra...Jacobs? Where to find?

shburks

I've been leaning towards AoPS for ds but now I'm leaning towards Jacobs.  I know it's hard to find and have to do a search for it!

I've found a couple of copies around $40.  That's pretty good right?

Can someone who has a copy confirm the ISBN number so I can make sure I'm buying the correct book?

And what else do I need?  Teacher manual?  Solutions manual?

I got mine from Amazon, like new, for $45. The edition is the same because there is only one edition. Exercise Set II has answer key in the back of the book. Ds12 is half way through it and we have not needed any TM or anything else because it is very straightforward and does not require a strong math teacher.

I also bought Foerster Algebra 1 for partial use for a semester. I think algebra is very important and would like my so. To have a very solid foundation.

I think we found our copy on eBay. I have found the TM to be very important, especially for quickly checking answers. DS loves Jacobs--I highly recommend it, especially for younger algebra students (because it's humorous, not simplified).

Eta: Each lesson has 3 exercises: part 1 for review, and parts 2 and 3 which have identical skills. DS completes parts 1 and 2, but only part 3 if he needs the extra practice. The book has the solutions to part 2, but you'll need the TM for 1,3 and the chapter reviews.

$40 seems reasonable (remember you can resell it when you're finished!).

Agree, $40 is perfectly reasonable, and I like the TM because it has answers to Part 1, 3 and 4 and the chapter reviews. My dd does all the exercises in Part 1, 3 and 4 and then checks them using the TM - hence it is critical for us.

Oh yeah, I forgot about part 4. That's what happens when mama leaves the math to DH... :)

Thank you all so much!!  I appreciate the help and feedback.  DS is a little young starting Algebra; he'll be 10 when we're ready.  I've learned a lot about the way he learns math this year and the more I read about AoPS, the more concerned I am that the method may not be ideal for him.  He's having to learn what it's like to have to LEARN something in math rather than it just being easy for him and I feel like Jacobs may be a gentler approach.

• 1 year later...

I've been leaning towards AoPS for ds but now I'm leaning towards Jacobs.  I know it's hard to find and have to do a search for it!

I've found a couple of copies around $40.  That's pretty good right?

Can someone who has a copy confirm the ISBN number so I can make sure I'm buying the correct book?

And what else do I need?  Teacher manual?  Solutions manual?

Teachers manual is nice. I have never used the solutions manual. I love Jacob's.

Looks like a new edition is coming out in September http://www.lampposthomeschool.com/math/harold-r-jacobs-elementary-algebra/ I wonder if their will be new editions of Geometry and Mathematics: A Human Endeavor.

I'm excited about this! Thanks for sharing! Besides wanting it for our homeschool, I was sad that such a great resource had gone out of print.