Menu

Metro DC

Paige

Anyone live in the DC area? We may be moving there and I'm hoping to find a hybrid/cottage school for middle and high school. My DS will need higher level math and science labs that I'd have trouble providing myself. It's such a large area and if I knew of a good co-op or hybrid school, it would help me narrow down what areas would be best to look for homes. I haven't found much luck googling. 

I live in the city. There's nothing like that in the city proper. However, there are a number of resources like that in the suburbs. Some of the Virginia ones have been mentioned, but there are also a number of groups like that in Maryland, such as through the umbrella schools. I know there's a huge one in Columbia, for example and another smaller co-op type program that has math and science and history geared toward middle school in Bowie. And there are individual classes that are often offered - even for subjects like algebra, geometry, lab biology, etc, which it sounds like is what you're looking for. And there are community college courses as well.

I would start by narrowing down where you're going to live - DC or Virginia or MD - if it's Virginia, to the south or to the west - if MD, Montgomery County or PG or further out - if DC, do you want to be close to MD or close to downtown... And from there see what your options are. Don't be scared off by homeschooling in any of these jurisdictions. DC is probably the easiest - you basically just file a notice of intent, but Virginia is very easy (standardized test you pick and give once a year or other options), and MD is not that bad - you have to have a review with the county, but most people I know find it very simple and perfunctory and umbrellas to get out of the review aren't that expensive overall.

• 3 weeks later...