Menu

Help me choose new social studies and science curriculum

My3girls

I have been using Story of the World and Intelligo this year. I have nothing against either. The problem is they just are not getting done regularly. I'm looking at Moving Beyond the Page and Book Shark as a replacement. I want something engaging with activities that I don't have to spend a ton of time preparing for. If you've used either, please, let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

I, too, found Intellego interesting, but I was never sure how much they were doing/getting out of it with them working on it independently on the computer.  We also tried MBTP, which my youngest loved the 8-10 level (all with me), but it was a lot to get done sometimes...if you're already struggling to get stuff done.   You need to be able to pick and choose, and not feel you must do everything.  My dd at 12 hated MBTP 11-13 when she tried it (I've since learned it was likely just the first semester...2nd semester is perhaps better but we didn't make it that far.)   Perhaps you should just add occasional activities to a workbook approach like ACE, Starline, AOP Lifepacs, or even CLE?  From MBTP 11-13, my dd12 did Starline, and I added to it by writing in crash course video links, books, etc. into the book for each day.  This approach worked well because it got done...she liked the videos and short reading assignments, and tests allowed me to see what she was learning since I wasn't working with her all the time.   I'll agree that MBTP has great activities, but if you've struggled to get stuff done already, I think you're setting yourself up for more of the same.  Perhaps you're trying to do too much?

Book Shark is going to be a lot of reading without many activities, I think. It's probably not what you're looking for. What are you looking to study in social studies? Geography? World History? US History? Government/Civics? If you could be more specific about what you're interested in, it would be easier to recommend a program. 

MBtP does take a lot of time, but DD enjoyed the activities when we used it, though she found the content really challenging. (We did parts of 5-7, 6-8 and 7-9.)

You might like Trail Guide to Learning, KONOS in a Box, or Home School in the Woods Project Passports. 

For history, I would look at the Veritas Press Self Paced classes. It's a blast and it's self directed. My kids loved it. I would consider 12 the upper end for it, though. You could add the lit packages and be done. We also love Sonlight, but I have some hard core readers. Mystery of History also has supplemental projects, but I think it's a lot like SOTW in terms of: read, narrate, map, etc. Kind of dry...

For science, I would have to split them up. In lower elementary we used some Apologia, some self directed, some "lots of reading and going to local nature things". We used BJU from grades 6 - which really stepped it up in content and expectation. We do the online and up and my kids LOVE it. I do have science nerds, though...and their sale just passed... so it might not be a good time for this year. My BFF loved NOEO which is a little pricey but has everything you need for a full science. If I did that and combined I'd require more advanced or supplemental reading and writing reports from the 6th grader. Another option would be self directed and a couple of kits from Academy of Science for Kids. Their kids are AMAZING and really do have everything but water. They're expensive - but they actually get done at my house so I think that's worth it.

Hope that helps!!