Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW 52 Wrap it up with a bow

Robin M

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it last year that we posted "bookshelfies" (i.e., pics of our books or ourselves with our books)? That was fun. Anyone up for that again?

In my case it would be "bookstackies"!  Just imagine a half dozen stacks of teetering paperbacks each about fifteen books or so high (and those are only the ones in the living room!)

Regards,

Kareni

I'd like to be heading to bed but my family prefers to keep me up until midnight despite how grumpy I get  :lol:

I'm not going to be able to get my wrap up posted tonight.  It's ok if I post it tomorrow, right?  I'm so glad I kept a copy of all of my reviews.  It is really helping me with my wrap up.  

Happy New Year to you all! 

I finished a book last night which I enjoyed ~ Wild (Aftershock Book 5) by Jill Sorenson; it's a contemporary romance (some adult content).

"WILD PASSION

Zookeeper Helena Fjord has a dangerous job at San Diego’s Wildlife Park. She’s got no time for nonsense, and no interest in handsome, laid-back security officer Josh Garrison. She steers clear of his silly pranks and sexy smile–until disaster strikes.

NATURAL INSTINCTS

Josh has been coasting ever since his Navy SEAL dreams went up in smoke. He’s always had the hots for Helena, but the lady is off-limits. When a devastating earthquake hits, the unlikely pair must work together to secure the park’s borders. With wild animals on the loose, aftershocks imminent, and fires blazing across the city, they face serious peril—and a powerful attraction. Josh vows to protect Helena at all costs. But who will safeguard her heart?"

Regards,

Kareni

I'd like to be heading to bed but my family prefers to keep me up until midnight despite how grumpy I get  :lol:

I'm not going to be able to get my wrap up posted tonight.  It's ok if I post it tomorrow, right?  I'm so glad I kept a copy of all of my reviews.  It is really helping me with my wrap up.  

Yes, I get the grumpies as well when I stay up too late so know exactly how you feel.   Yes, you can do your wrap up tomorrow in the new thread.  I'll be posting sometime between 9:30 and 10:30 pst.  Happy New Year!

Alrighty, I'm off for the evening so

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

Cheers to all! You gladden my heart. Each and every year just keeps getting better and better.  I’ve enjoyed all the conversations and rabbit trails our reading year has taken us on and feel thoroughly blessed.  Hugs and kisses and love all around.  :cheers2:

Oh, I love that quote!   Have you ever read Julia Cameron's The Artist Way?  It's what lead me to attempting to learn how to draw in the first place.  This morning I started reading her Vein of Gold contemplating the how and where and when.  Hubby's been doing the 10k step thing everyday very faithfully (so proud of him) and this morning I remembered how when I was younger, living at home with my parents, we would go on walks every night after dinner.  So, decided that's something we all need to do starting this new year. So many ideas crop up while walking and well as drawing.  The only way I can sit and listen to an audiobook is if my hands are busy so there is always the audiobook route.  We've pretty much given up on tv except for a few dvred shows.  I've discovered the time suck for me is the internet.  As long as I stay off during the week days until the evening, then I get a lot accomplished.  To be honest, I got addicted to the stupid celebrity websites this past year, so giving them up for the new year in favor of more intellectual pursuits.  :lol:

Putting The Artist's Way on my to-read list. I hadn't heard of it, so thank you!

Happy New Year!  :party:  :cheers2:

Nan, I love your thoughts on turning 30! Seeing that I've been in love with the same man since I was 19, married for 8.5 years and we enjoy 5 beautiful children together, turning 30 wasn't a big deal. ;) My 20s were busy and full of good things, I'm excited to see what the 30s bring. Isn't this when people are supposed to start viewing you as a grown up? *laughs* 

JennW, Into The Woods was great! I've loved the show for years so it was fun to see a new version of it. Meryl made me cry with her performance of Stay With Me. I could have done without Anna Kendrick as Cinderella but she was one of the "hot names" in Hollywood so I can see why they chose her. Same with Johnny Depp who I usually adore but I wasn't that impressed with. I've been singing the music non-stop since seeing it!

Tam, happy belated birthday! I completely understand on the Christmas-birthday phenomenon. My mother used to make people unwrap my birthday gifts as a child and re-wrap them with birthday paper instead of the inevitable Christmas paper.

Thank you ladies for the birthday wishes. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread and that you all welcomed me with open arms! I'm looking forward to starting the 52 at the very beginning of the year with all of you this year. 

I didn't get to finish my book because I had more important things to do like rock my poor sick three year old in the ER and then have my six year old son brought up to me too. We were there most of last night and there was talk of hospitalization before my three year old finally was able to breathe properly after oral steroids and two different types of breathing treatments. *whew* We're home though and the boys are on the mend today. Praying the girls and baby don't get it because DH and I are feeling kind of blah now. Actually, knowing that all of the kids are fast asleep and DH fell asleep reading on the couch, I might bust out said book and see what I can do before midnight.

Pam,

I am happy to see Kaye Gibbons on your "best of 2014" list.  One of my prized possessions is an autographed first edition of Ellen Foster acquired when she was starting her writing career. Gibbons has had some challenges though and has not published in a while. 

Pretending with you, Rosie my dear.

Lots of love,

Jane

I loved Ellen Foster... that scene with the chenille curtains.... I'll evermore associate love with chenille...

Happy New Year to all again.

champagne-bottle-accident-smiley-emotico

We're back & I smell properly smoky from being around a fire pit tonight. My mom & dd went to a show of Dancing with the Stars (tix were an Xmas gift), so I was the chauffeur & dropped them off & picked them up. Ds went w/ me to pick them up, then we all headed over to the friend's house for late-night chatting, hanging out, & fireworks. (Plus s'mores. Can't forget the s'mores.) A fun, lovely way to greet the new year on a clear, cold night!

:)

And, I just realized that if I add one more book to my shelf (that was in the photo), I would have 52 books & could just make that my reading for the year. I'd have a couple of re-reads among them, but most are new ones. Hmmmm. Maybe that's what I should do.

It appears that I may have forgot to wish both Lost Surprise and Noseinabook Happy Birthday also. Really thought I had but don't see it. Sorry I don't do fancy stuff but...

Happy Belated Birthday to you both!!!!!

Noseinabook, I hope both your little ones recover quickly!!!

Yes! Happy Birthday, LostSurprise!

Stacia, what a fun way to welcome in the new year! Something to keep in mind for future years.

I knew my youngest sister particularly loved Sharon Shinn,s Troubled Waters and I had just finished Royal Airs, so I printed off ten sets of random blessings, glued them to sheets of heavy drawing paper, and snipped them all up into a chocolate box for her. At midnight, we all drew blessings for each other.

All you drawers, may I join you? I,ve done DotRSotB, and I want to leave the zen tangles to my son, but I have another drawing book I would like to do and I really need to work on my drawing. I,m stuck until I improve.

Nan

I want to catch up on all the posts here but we have a party today and the kids drew with permanent marker on their faces (We're cheetah cubs!).  I started "Like Water For Chocolate" last night and enjoy the imagery but Pedro is not making me swoon.  It will count towards my foodie novels at least.

I bought a slim sketch book and will be making lists of and sketching my "thankfuls" this year- which kind of coincides with those of you drawing.  I've written lists of blessings before and it makes life a poem, but I've never added sketches before.

And from "The Business of Heaven" CS Lewis this morning: "No amount of falls will really undo us if we keep on picking ourselves up each time.  We shall of course be very muddy and tattered children by the time we reach home, but the bathrooms are all ready, the towels put out and the clean clothes in the airing cupboard."

Off to scrub kiddos.....

Robin, congratulations! I can see why you are excited!

Stacia, your Moby Dick book is very cool and gave me an idea, an extremely time consuming one - read something and make a drawing for every page. I think it would be doable if you made doodle drawings as the Moby dick drawer did. Maybe I will take that as my reading challenge. It would have to be a short book, though, and something I didn,t need to read in massive gulps. I have been wanting to retread Beowulf or some of the northern myths my boys like so much - Icelandic? Norse? It would have to be something for which I have some visual memories. I could do something like The Householder, of course (about the right length), but I would be too self conscious about my erroneous ideas of what India is like.

I read a great piece of advice recently, a tip for avoiding white fright - pick a cheap sketchbook and fill it randomly, not from front to back. I,ve gotten around this for years by using scrap paper. I wonder if this is why the Moby dick book is on scrap paper as well?

So - if I work with Jane,s book as my version of DotRSotB, and I do this as my zentangle, I will be more or less aligned with the rest of you drawers. If you will have me. It might not work to have me doing such different books...

Nan

Love your quote, Uff Da. When mine were small and running bare up at the lake cabin for vacation, I let them draw on themselves with crayola marker. It didn,t scrub off right away, but it did eventually. The three year old had me draw on him. Then he got very sick and I wound up in the doctor,s office with a very pale limp child lying on the doctor,s table with a giant black skull and crossbones on his tummy. Most embarrassing.

Nan

I want to catch up on all the posts here but we have a party today and the kids drew with permanent marker on their faces (We're cheetah cubs!).  I started "Like Water For Chocolate" last night and enjoy the imagery but Pedro is not making me swoon.  It will count towards my foodie novels at least.

I bought a slim sketch book and will be making lists of and sketching my "thankfuls" this year- which kind of coincides with those of you drawing.  I've written lists of blessings before and it makes life a poem, but I've never added sketches before.

And from "The Business of Heaven" CS Lewis this morning: "No amount of falls will really undo us if we keep on picking ourselves up each time.  We shall of course be very muddy and tattered children by the time we reach home, but the bathrooms are all ready, the towels put out and the clean clothes in the airing cupboard."

Off to scrub kiddos.....

To the bolded I say:   :001_smile: .

What a lovely idea!  I have really wanted my craft notebooks to go beyond lists of materials and names of recipients to become a reflection of my life, something that some future textile anthropologist would be interested in examining for context.  I thought maybe blogging might do that but I haven't made even the tiniest of attempts.  The problem of the blog is the lack of tactile.  So perhaps a combination of craft notebook going beyond sketches and swatches to thankfuls and dreams might help me pull it all together.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Ok, rather than looking at my photo, I counted the books on my bookcase. Serendipitously, it has exactly 52. As I keep telling myself that I (really, really) need to read books on my own shelves (instead of getting piles from the library & buying the occasional book), maybe I will try to tackle the 52 this year. Since some are repeats, I may skip those & sub in library or new books I acquire. Don't know if I'd really stick to it or not, but maybe I can make a dent.... It's kind of nice to look at the shelf now & know it's a "year of reading", kwim?

Have fun with your drawing, all of you. I do hope you'll post some pics as you go along!

I'm still trying to decide what art/craft/activity I would like to tackle this year.

Ringing in this (late) morning with a big mug of hot chocolate. Need to get moving soon because today is fil's birthday & we're heading out to brunch soon.

Can I ask a stupid question? I have been marking a lot of suggestions here under my goodreads.com "Want to Read"... but when I go to try and figure out where my "Want to Read" list, I can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone help? Sorry for my incompetence!!

I haven't been keeping up with all the reviews and suggestions, but thought I should at least list what I read this year. I had no rhyme or reason for the year, just picked up things as they popped out at me. Anyway, here goes:

History of WWII in 100 Objects Millett, Allan R.

Lady Catherine, the Earl, and the Real Downton Abbey Countess of Carnarvon

Navy in San Diego, The Linder, Bruce

Aviators, The Groom, Winston

29 Gifts Walker, Cami

Longbourn Baker, Jo

George Washington's Secret Six Kilmeader, Brian & Don Yeager

Egg & I MacDonald, Betty

My Story Smart, Elizabeth

Born Fighting Webb, Jim

All But the Waltz Blew, Mary Clearman

Street Cat Named Bob, A Bowen, James

Lockdown High Fuentes, Annette

Where the Rivers Change Direction Spragg, Mark

Oxford of Inspector Morse, The Leonard, Bill

Second Chance Dog, The Katz, Jon

Collector's Guide for Currier & Ives Dinnerware, A Aupperle, Eldon R.

Big Red Waller, Douglas C.

Busman's Honeymoon Sayers, Dorothy

War Below, The Scott, James

Core, The Bortins, Leigh

Eyes on Target McEwen, Scott

Fantastic Antone Succeeds! Kleinfeld, Judith

Men Who United the States, The Winshester, Simon

Kingdom of Children Stevens, Mitchell L.

You Can Date Boys When You're Forty Barry, Dave

Astronaut Wives Club Kopple, Lily

One Woman Farm Wogrinrich, Jenna

May We Be Forgiven Homes, A. M.

Expecting Adam Beck, Martha

Blackbird Lauch, Jennifer

Fantastic Antone Grows Up Kleinfeld, Judith

Gardener of Versailles, The Baraton, Alain

Lucky Child, A Buergenthal, Thomas

All Joy and No Fun Senior, Jennifer

Escape from Auschwitz Rosenberg, Joel C.

Submarine Clancy, Tom

Sycamore Row Grisham, Row

Overwhelmed: Work, Love, and Play When No One Has the Time Schulte, Brigid

Paying for the Party Armstrong, Elizabeth

Yard, The Sanders, Michael S.

Fish Preferred Wodehouse, P. G.

Service: A Navy Seal at War Luttrell, Marcus

Horsefolk Are Still Different McClung, Cooky

Honest Toddler Bunmi, Latidan

Last Battle, The Ryan, Cornelius

Shakespeare's Pub: A Barstool History of London Brown, Pete

Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, A Revolution Philbrick, Nathaniel

Dancing Through It Ringer, Jenifer

What to Expect When No One's Expecting Last, Jonathan V.

Red Circle, The Webb, Brandon

Between Expectation: Lessons from a Pediatric Residency Weir, Meghan MacLean

Victors, The: Eisenhower and His Boys Ambrose, Stephen

Finishing School. The Couch, Dick

Inside the Victorian Home Flanders, Judith

Girls of August, The Siddons, Anne Rivers

Fearless Blehm, Eric

Grandma Gatewood's Walk Montgomery, Ben

World According to Bob, The Bowen, James

Firm, The Grisham, John

Soldier Girls Thorpe, Helen

Just Like Us Thorpe, Helen

Joe's Law Arpaio, Joe

Hope Runs Diaz-Ortiz, Claire

Client, The Grisham, John

Sniper's Moon Stroud, Carsten

Partner, The Grisham, John

Litigators, The Grisham, John

Livestock Protection Dogs Dawydiak, Orysia

Winged Watchman, The Van Stockum, Hilda

Shut up about Your Perfect Kid Gallagher, Gina

Raising Cubby Robinson, John Elder

Look Me in the Eye Robinson, John Elder

Asperger's Syndrome Attwood, Tony

Eye of the Needle Follett, Ken

Slayride Francis, Dick

Runaway Jury, The Grisham, John

Sunshine on Scotland Street Smith, Alexander McCall

Blind Man's Bluff Sontag, Sherry

Circle of Treason Grimes, Sandra

None Braver Hirsh, Michael

Endangered Species Barr, Nevada

Hunting Season Barr, Nevada

Raising Girls Biddulph, Steve

Top Secret Griffin, W.E.B.

Profiler, The Brown, Pat

Blood Lure Barr, Nevada

Hunger Games, The Collins, Suzanne

Mockingjay Collins, Suzanne

Journey into Darkness Douglas, John

Mindhunter Douglas, John

Catching Fire Collins, Suzanne

Silent Sister, The Chamberlain, Diane

Banker Francis, Dick

Brothers Forever Sileo, Tom

Rose Kennedy Perry, Barbara A.

Margaret, please repost on 2015 thread so we may all enjoy. Trying to avoid multiple,threads going at once. Thanks!