Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW 52 Wrap it up with a bow

Robin M

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm

Something made me think crackers in English are somthing else then in Dutch...

I won't consider crackers as christmas food ;)

I have a question:

I liked reading the history of Congo that much, that I wondered if comparable books are available about other countries.

I think I would like to start with other African countries.

My English is average or even a little below that to my standards so 'a book for the general public' would be nice.

But first I will read the books about Ethics I recieved yesterday :)

Rosie, We only do crackers when with others over the holidays. Group parties before the actual day. I suspect that your dd will have a few tries over the coming years to be "properly" exposed. I wouldn't worry.

Not sure if the article said but many people make their own crackers. Not sure what they do about the pop part. But those tend to be the ones with the really good stuff like Jenn's whistles. One of our friends makes his own, gives his main family gifts in the crackers at Christmas dinner every year. Probably wouldn't work well with our group. ;) I suspect most of us would prefer books to more jewellery (I have a few pieces that I love and tend to just wear those) which is what he seems to give all the women in his life. :lol: His gifts have to fit inside a paper roll which he finds a bit limiting but he started the tradition....

Rosie, I didn't grow up with crackers & I turned out fairly normally, so no worries. :lol:

I have had crackers a couple of times (as an adult) at festive gatherings, but quite rarely.

;) Or so she says!

Not sure if the article said but many people make their own crackers. Not sure what they do about the pop part. But those tend to be the ones with the really good stuff like Jenn's whistles. One of our friends makes his own, gives his main family gifts in the crackers at Christmas dinner every year. Probably wouldn't work well with our group. ;) I suspect most of us would prefer books to more jewellery (I have a few pieces that I love and tend to just wear those) which is what he seems to give all the women in his life. :lol: His gifts have to fit inside a paper roll which he finds a bit limiting but he started the tradition....

Well I can assist with this one.The pop is made by a piece of cardboard called the "snap" which can be ordered online.  I had thoughts of making crackers one year so I investigated but no one else in this household jumped on board with the project so no follow through.  One of these years...

ETA:  The company I linked sells the "Concerto Crackers" that Jenn mentioned.

It was only a few years ago I realized what Christmas crackers were. I thought it must be some very boring holiday food. Yep, skip the crackers, pass the tamales please....

Last night I finished 59. Henry James, The Awkward Age. Not my favorite James read; my unfamiliarity with the social conventions at the heart of the plot made it more difficult than usual to follow the periphrastic Jamesian conversations, and I have to confess that there were some fair stretches where I had no idea what the characters were talking about.

This was one of a collection of brand-new (as in, bookmark ribbons still tucked into the unopened pages) Everyman Henry James novels I picked up at the library discard store. I don't get how our library purchasing and distribution system works. They were recently bought for not-cheap, and promptly discarded unread. But, good for me, I guess.

An excerpt from The Awkward Age. Aggie and Nanda are about eighteen: Aggie has been reared in an old-fashioned, protected way, and her friend Nanda with a more open and modern upbringing. Both are entering the London "marriage market."

-------------------

As she passed into the house by the nearest of the long windows that stood open Mr. Longdon placed himself beside her little charge [Aggie], whom he treated, for the next ten minutes, with an exquisite courtesy. A person who knew him well would, if present at the scene, have found occasion in it to be freshly aware that he was in his quiet way master of two distinct kinds of urbanity, the kind that added to distance and the kind that diminished it. Such an analyst would furthermore have noted, in respect to the aunt and the niece, of which kind each had the benefit, and might even have gone so far as to detect in him some absolute betrayal of the impression produced on him by his actual companion, some irradiation of his certitude that, from the point of view under which she had been formed, she was a remarkable, a rare success. Since to create a particular little rounded and tinted innocence had been aimed at, the fruit had been grown to the perfection of a peach on a sheltered wall, and this quality of the object resulting from a process might well make him feel himself in contact with something wholly new. Little Aggie differed from any young person he had ever met in that she had been deliberately prepared for consumption and in that furthermore the gentleness of her spirit had immensely helped the preparation. Nanda, beside her, was a Northern savage, and the reason was partly that the elements of that young lady's nature were already, were publicly, were almost indecorously active. They were practically there for good or for ill; experience was still to come and what they might work out to still a mystery; but the sum would get itself done with the figures now on the slate. On little Aggie's slate the figures were yet to be written; which sufficiently accounted for the difference of the two surfaces. Both the girls struck him as lambs with the great shambles of life in their future; but while one, with its neck in a pink ribbon, had no consciousness but that of being fed from the hand with the small sweet biscuit of unobjectionable knowledge, the other struggled with instincts and forebodings, with the suspicion of its doom and the far-borne scent, in the flowery fields, of blood.

It was only a few years ago I realized what Christmas crackers were. I thought it must be some very boring holiday food. Yep, skip the crackers, pass the tamales please....

While neither I nor my husband grew up with Christmas crackers as a part of our holiday celebrations, I introduced them into our family, a direct result of my misspent youth, i.e. the many hours frittered away on English novels.

While neither I nor my husband grew up with Christmas crackers as a part of our holiday celebrations, I introduced them into our family, a direct result of my misspent youth, i.e. the many hours frittered away on English novels.

Well you see there's the difference. My misspent youth was frittered away on network tv and Atari. No Christmas crackers on Hogan's Heroes.

Jane, don't we also have The Good Soldier Å vejk planned? I think one of my Challenges for 2015 will have to be the I'll-Have-What-She's-Having Jane Challenge.

Yup.  I even have the book under the tree as a gift to my husband so that I can participate in this challenge.  My mind is clearly twisted.

Another English tradition we embrace in this household: A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from the King's College chapel. On the radio as I type...

O yes!!!!

Some years it was the only Christmas feeling I got.

Normally I recorded it and watched it the years our church didn't have service on Christmas Eve.

( or I watched it twice if I had a very bad Christmas...)

Mmm

Something made me think crackers in English are somthing else then in Dutch...

I won't consider crackers as christmas food ;)

I have a question:

I liked reading the history of Congo that much, that I wondered if comparable books are available about other countries.

I think I would like to start with other African countries.

My English is average or even a little below that to my standards so 'a book for the general public' would be nice.

But first I will read the books about Ethics I recieved yesterday :)

Loesje, if you say 'crackers' to me, I'm going to think of food.  :laugh:  In fact, I'm eating some right now with some cheese ball that my sister made.

One book I read a year or two ago that I enjoyed was Women of the Klondike. It really just focuses on women in the area during a short time period of history, but maybe it would be something you would like. I have another of the author's book on my shelves (Children of the Klondike) -- I bought it this summer when we were in Alaska.

Also, I had a book from the library (which I just returned unread because things were too busy with Christmas -- but I do want to check it out again after the holidays), which is fiction & centers around the Congo: Seven Houses in France by Bernardo Atxaga (a Basque writer).

Well you see there's the difference. My misspent youth was frittered away on network tv and Atari. No Christmas crackers on Hogan's Heroes.

You might be able to find a monocle in a cracker!

And I would like to know, what exactly is a misspent youth? ;)

If you have to ask ....

One book I read a year or two ago that I enjoyed was Women of the Klondike.

My book group has this on the agenda for February.

Is it bad form to regift a book that you didn't like that much (3 stars) to a relative, but is by an author you know they like? BTW, it's a new release.

Go for it.  Your relative may love it!

Regards,

Kareni

So?  How did it go?

How many books did you read and did you meet your own personal goal?  

I don't keep count of books read, but I'd estimate that I read over 200 this year.  I don't have a goal per se simply a desire to keep reading.  I don't participate in any of the challenges, but I certainly enjoy hearing about what everyone else is reading be it for a challenge or not.

The book I probably recommended to the most people this year (in real life and on various boards) was Andy Weir's The Martian which I read in April.  (I might have been the first to mention it here.)

The Martian was probably one of the two books that had me pondering after the book ended; it also engendered quite a few conversations with my husband.  Initally I shared snippets with him, but ultimately we listened to the audio book while driving to and from a camping trip.  We don't often share books together so this made for a good memory.

The other book that left me thinking was Shay Savage's Transcendence in which a young woman from today is transported far into the past where she is found by a man who cannot communicate with spoken language.  The book is told entirely from his point of view, and it was both entertaining and moving.  I was left wondering how I would survive under those circumstances.  (Be aware -- This is a book with significant adult content.)  I'd enjoy reading the story told from the female character's point of view.

I plan to be here next year sharing my reading and enjoying hearing about yours!

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks to Simon and Schuster, we have more reading lists:

10 Russian Novels to read before you die

10 Classics you should never live without

5 Books Perfect for a Long Lazy Summer   or Winter, depends on your frame of mind.  :coolgleamA:

7 great big novels to keep you happily reading  I've had my eye on half of these for some time

Sexy, Smart and Charming: Book characters that Benedict Cumberbatch made better

13 most terrifying books

and for our regency lovers -   5 Hot Regency series to heat up your year.

Ya'll will be happy to know Stations Eleven and The Martian have joined my stacks for 2015 reading. 

Working on my wrap up post  -  My top five favorite has been changing day to day depending on my mood.  :lol:

How many books did you read and did you meet your own personal goal?

My goal was 100 books and I read 148. (link to books) Of course, 47 of those books were rereads (J.D. Robb's In Death series (39) and Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series (8) so if I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t count those, the total would be 101.

The statistical breakdown is 90 physical books and 58 Ebooks.  Last year it was 50/50 split and I was determined to read more Ă¢â‚¬ËœrealĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ books versus Ă¢â‚¬Ëœvirtual.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢Â Â  I read a lot of series so the breakdown of male to female was 14 males to 34 females.  Out of those 16 were new to me authors.

Challenge wise  (link to books) I cleared my shelves of 10 dusty books, 8 chunky books, and 5 faith reads. Also completed A to Z except for Y and Z which will do within the next week.

I visited 11 countries including Israel, Japan, China, England, Italy, Wales Istanbul, Brazil, United States, and Afghanistan and made it through several centuries including 46BC, 10ad, 12th Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 16th and the 19th Century. So did better than I thought.

Most thrilling, oh my goodness, I want to read it again, unputdownable book?

It would have to be Cindy GerardĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s The Way Home.  The story was a romantic suspense set in the U.S. and Afghanistan and involved a U.S. Military soldier injured and trapped as a POW in the middle east.  The ending was so poignant it left me in tears. That doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t happen very often.

Top 5 favorite stories?  So hard to choose, especially when my mind and mood changes each time I look at the list.   Besides J.D. RobbĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s In Death series which I just read for the umpteenth time again, I think Across the Nightengale Floor by Lian Hearn, Cindy GerardĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s The Way Home, Dean Koontz's False Memory, Qui XiaolongĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s When Red is Black and Sharon Kay PenmanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Here Be Dragons.

Least favorite book?  It would be The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve read some pretty graphic, creepy stories but this one I just couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t handle.

Are you ready to do it all over again?  Certainly!   

Do you have any goals to check out different genres or authors, read translated books or stories in another language for 2015

I always bite off more than I can chew with the mini challenges and overextend myself so for 2015, besides the dusty, chunky, and A to Z, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll do the 5/5/15.  My categories will be translated books, classics, centuries, 1001 books and inspirational. 

My husband's family lived in England for a few years so crackers are a regular part of the holidays in his family. One year I found a set that had 8 whistles for the the entire musical scale. The package included music so we not only wore stupid paper crowns but also tooted out carols!

WHAT?

I'm beginning to think the dodgy crackers got sent out here with the convicts.

I've never met crackers this cool!

Across the Nightengale Floor by Lian Hearn

We have this in our house. I need to find it & read it.

Least favorite book?  It would be The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve read some pretty graphic, creepy stories but this one I just couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t handle.

Wow. I'm surprised because I consider myself a chicken, but absolutely loved this book. I didn't find it scary/creepy. (I also don't find The Historian to be scary/creepy but I know a few have mentioned that it is for them.)

To me, the part about Spring Heeled Jack attacking others was, I suppose, the scariest; what made it interesting to me was how much of it was based on historical info about attacks/cases at the time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-heeled_Jack

I think I was the first one awake this morning not that I let on ;) I can hear ds or else our big dog padding around the kitchen. Various kinds of smoked fish on the menu this morning along with black bread, cultured butter, capers, red onion, lemon and strong, smokey tea.

Mumto2, that was always my dad's Christmas greeting :D

Blessings to my BaW friends in this season of returning light.

I'm laughing so hard at the Christmas crackers because I was sitting over here with this confused look on my face going, "Like Ritz? What?" D'oh. I'm glad they were linked because now I have more of a clue! Clearly, I've been deprived.

We're spending a lazy Christmas day at home in our jammies. Two out of the five kiddos have strep throat and are miserable little sickies so I'm glad we are going to chill for the entire day. The kids got everything they wanted and the oldest three are happily building Legos right now. The 3 year old is in the bathtub squealing over bubbles while the baby plays on the floor happily. It was a successful Christmas morning! I'm thinking about taking my Kindle and tucking into bed to read under the nice warm covers. 

I'm laughing so hard at the Christmas crackers because I was sitting over here with this confused look on my face going, "Like Ritz? What?" D'oh. I'm glad they were linked because now I have more of a clue! Clearly, I've been deprived.

We're spending a lazy Christmas day at home in our jammies. Two out of the five kiddos have strep throat and are miserable little sickies so I'm glad we are going to chill for the entire day. The kids got everything they wanted and the oldest three are happily building Legos right now. The 3 year old is in the bathtub squealing over bubbles while the baby plays on the floor happily. It was a successful Christmas morning! I'm thinking about taking my Kindle and tucking into bed to read under the nice warm covers.

:grouphug: to you and your sick little ones. New legos, definately a great way to be entertained when sick. Glad everyone is happy and you are hopefully cuddled up reading now.

One of our chuckles for the day was walking by our neighbours and the dad looked up and waved as he assembled a big Lego something. The kids (5 and 6) had gone to grandma's and left dad to put their presents together!

Dd has been doing jigsaws on her new puzzle board all day....Ds on the computer. Somehow I spent the day cooking? But rolls turned out great!

Remember how I just finished 'Urchin of the Riding Stars', a gift from ds a couple of Xmases ago? His gift to me this year was book two in the series,'Urchin and the Heartstone'. He could barely contain his excitement at giving it to me and a couple of days ago asked if perhaps he should give me his gift early. He was able to hold off and I was properly thrilled and surprised this morning :D

Mumto2, being in the kitchen a lot of the day is tradition isn't it? ;)

Thinking of Mom-ninja and hoping things are ok for them.

I just finished a book that I received as a Christmas gift.  I enjoyed it.

A Dragon's Family Album: A Collection of the Elder Races by Thea Harrison

This is a collection of two novellas and a short story that feature two of my favorite characters from the Elder Races series along with their son.  That series starts with Dragon Bound.

Regards,

Kareni

Back from my niece's. First time for her making turkey (bbqed) and stuffing from scratch.  Did pretty darn good. I'm stuffed.   Books added to my stacks:

Spirit of Mediaeval Philosophy by Etienne Gibson (one for my translated challenge)

A Walk in the Wood by Bill Bryson

The Servant's Tale - Margaret Frazia (#2 in Dame Frevisse series)

Drawing book - Hands, Features and Faces

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

Book Lust - Nancy Pearl.

I hope everyone had a beautiful and peaceful Christmas.   We stayed home this year (yay!) and it was a slow, warm, cozy day for us.  I did not get any books but I did get two gift cards for the Canadian version of Amazon so I am a happy girl.  I have to say, though, it never gets old watching my kids reactions to the books they get for Christmas.  My oldest hugged her Maze Runner books with delight, my youngest was quite happy with her Agatha Christie books and even my son, who is not a book lover, was excited about the book set I gave him on outdoor survival skills (Oh, look, Dad!  they even show you how to gut a deer!)    Everyone was happy with the Harry Potter hardcover on all of the creatures that are found throughout the series.  They needed to be!   When I saw this in the store, I leafed through it and knew that this would be a hit.  I took it to the checkout without looking at the price, thinking it was about $20 (foolish girl.)  When the total price for three books was $93 panic started to set in but I said nothing.  After I got out of the store, I then looked at the prices of the books and that Harry Potter book was $55!!! :crying:   It took me awhile to begin breathing again.  Lesson learned.

I finished  The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett.  I quite liked it althought he did keep bouncing around centuries.   I am now reading Stella Gibbons'  Comfort Farm but I am not sure if I want to continue on with it.

Happy Boxing Day!

We had a delightfully quiet Christmas at home. Given that we have no clue what the future holds for The Boy, my husband and I enjoy every silly moment--and there have been many.  Over the last few days we have had a number of rowdy rounds of the card game Dominion.  I even managed to win one which is quite something given my general ineptitude in this sort of game.  Today we are off to see The Imitation Game.

The Boy was delighted by his facsimile of an original Crystal Palace guidebook.  Given his archaeological fascination with material culture, the 19th century perspective--and that of the Empire--fascinates him.

He was initially amused by Thug Kitchen until all of us realized that it is a vegan cookbook.  Snorts of derision followed.  (I did not realize this when I ordered the book--really!) While he agrees that there are good ideas on kitchen/pantry set up and some basic recipes, there is just too much quinoa in there.  He has nothing against quinoa as a food product, but takes the anthropologist's view that American consumption of quinoa has driven the price of the food beyond the reach of the indigenous people who cultivate it.

Thanks to my Secret Santa!  :001_smile:

Boxing Day! Jane, I should have known you'd wish us all a happy one. When I reflexively refer to the 26th this way I draw blank stares :lol:

Are you referring to the Crystal Palace in Brighton? I seem to recall as a child being taken to see some exhibit that was somehow associated with this structure. The line-ups snaked all along the building and I remember it was an impressive exhibit though I can't recall just exactly what it was for.

Our day was mellow, too. Highlights included the most incredible buttery peat moss-smoked Scottish salmon for breakfast :drool5: participating in a rousing family game of Wizards, watching tween ds's delight over his gifts, seeing the dogs looking properly adorable in their new collars and leashes and sharing good food with friends.

Book-wise ds received The Atlas of Middle Earth, The Island of the Blessed which is book three in a favorite series, and The D&D Players Handbook a weighty tome essential for all things D&D. Dh received a kindle :D and we're looking forward to our own little family book club. Any ideas for books that might appeal to all three of us would be appreciated.

The end of the day saw me happy but into bed with a sore throat and deep fatigue and today it appears I'm coming down with a cold. The timing is gratefully received--*after* the hustle and bustle and high energy required of the previous day.

We had a very Merry Christmas in Florida. Dinner was at our house since we just completed a major kitchen renovation. I planned to splatchcock the turkey since it would cook faster but after hours in the oven at 400 it was barely registering 145. I was beginning to panic and we had stalled our guests with several games already when dh realized I had forgotten to hit the convection button on our new oven. 45 minutes later we were feasting! Disaster averted. I didn't receive any books but my hubby snagged a beautiful Vera Bradley Nook cover at his office white elephant gift exchange for me. It was the only gift that wasn't a gag gift and since he's the boss no one stole it from him haha.

BTW, with all the stress over the turkey I totally forgot about the crackers. Maybe next year.

Hope you recover quickly, shukriyya.

We've had a busy, busy holiday & it will remain that way for at least a few more days. With relatives in from out of town, we are busy enjoying our time with them. Christmas Eve was a little tamped down because fil was recovering from a stomach virus, which then was passed on to my sil, my niece, & nephew. Christmas Day was busy with morning spent at our house hosting breakfast, then all evening at my parents' house.

Books this year seemed to be a hit, so that's good! I think ds has already read at least two of the Terry Pratchett books he received. (And today he's wearing the Terry Pratchett-inspired tee he received.) Dh had requested a book (Seven Forges), which I got him. At the time I got it, I was curious as to why he picked it as it doesn't necessarily look like his type of book. When he opened it, he told me he wanted it because it was written by a barista at the coffee shop where he spends a lot of time. I knew the guy was a writer, but didn't know what books he wrote. Apparently, he used to do horror books (a genre which dh would never want to read), but has now expanded out into the fantasy genre (which is what this book is).

I also racked up on a few books.... :D 

Zone by Mathias Ăƒâ€°nard

Congo Solo by Emily Hahn (Loesje, this one is set in the Belgian Congo)

Head in Flames by Lance Olsen (one I've wanted to read for a few years now)

Nigerians in Space by Deji Bryce Olukotun

Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino (to go along with some of my other Marco Polo reads for 2015)

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (his first book)

and a Powell's book club box (#50), which contains All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews, Loitering by Charles D'Ambrosio, & a Pinot Noir Salt & Chocolate candy bar.

Gotta run. More people heading over soon....

I ran out of "likes"!!!   :blush: First time that has happened!  Consider the rest of you "liked" until tomorrow  :D

P.S. Angel, love your family photo!!! And I love that you & your girls coordinated with dots. Gorgeous, all of you!

Thanks, Stacia!  I took one family pic two weeks ago, and it was horrid so I was just going to do one of the girls.  However, Skye, at 20, said that she thought she was too old to have just a kids photo, that we needed a family photo so we decided to have it snapped last minute at church Sunday.  She was laughing that her dad didn't get the color memo lol!  I didn't care what color he was wearing as long as I got a picture for the Christmas cards  ;)

We had a tremendously lazy day yesterday. After opening presents with my parents early, they headed home and we settled in with finger foods, wassail, and past Doctor Who Christmas specials (our favorite being The Christmas Carol one).  I'm still mourning the loss of Matt Smith so I was a bit teary eyed while watching.  :001_rolleyes:

I received As You Wish by Cary Elwes from dh and the girls.  I started it last night and have already chuckled more than once!  I think it's going to be a great book.  They also bought me The Smoothies Bible.

I bought The Last Jihad for dh (thanks, Robin!) and he had just heard the author on talk radio and was really excited.  He will start it after he finishes The Giver series.  

Skye, 20, got the first book of The Selection series.  She enjoyed these earlier in the year and wanted to own them.  She also got a beautiful copy of Persuasion, one of the Austen's that she doesn't own.  

Aly, 14, received Waistcoats and Weaponry.

I'm waiting until next week to do my wrap up.  I'm hoping to finish at least one more book before the end of the year.  

Angel, I'm just now able to see your family pic. It seems to only open on my tablet. Anyway, what a lovely family you have. And I'm digging your older dd's biker jacket :D Thanks for sharing yourselves with us.

Thank you!  And I'm  :lol:   Biker jacket girl (who got another for Christmas!) is my younger dd  :lol:  That's Aly and she's 14 and that's her personality.  Vintage black polka dots, Audrey Hepburn channeling is my 20yo, Skye.  Skyeler is always taken for the younger one nowadays.  In fact when we were at an amusement park this summer with the kids she nanny's, they kept telling her that she had to be a responsible adult to ride with the 2yo!!!   :laugh:   She didn't find it as amusing as the rest of us.    

We too had a relaxing Christmas celebration.  My husband and I Skyped with our daughter in South Korea on our Christmas Eve/her Christmas Day and opened gifts together ... the wonders of technology!

My daughter was pleased with her books from my mother:

The Will of the Empress by Tamora Pierce

Trickster's Girl by Hilari Bell

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

and we are delighted with Book Depository's free worldwide shipping.

We bombarded her with a slew of 99 cent Kindle books

And All the Stars by Andrea K HĂƒÂ¶st  

Hunting by Andrea K HĂƒÂ¶st  

Stray: Touchstone (Part 1) by Andrea K HĂƒÂ¶st  (this one is free on Kindle)  

Lab Rat One: Touchstone Part 2 by Andrea K HĂƒÂ¶st  

Caszandra: Touchstone by Andrea K HĂƒÂ¶st  

Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) by Lindsay Buroker  

Nine by Night: A Multi-Author Urban Fantasy Bundle of Kickass Heroines, Adventure, & Magic

EPIC: Fourteen Books of Fantasy

as well as a few pricer ones in a series by Lindsay Buroker that she recently began.  The first of that series,  The Emperor's Edge, is currently free to Kindle readers.

Dark Currents (Book 2), Deadly Games (Book 3), and Conspiracy (Book 4)

I gave my husband

500 Basic Korean Verbs: The Only Comprehensive Guide to Conjugation and Usage

Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson

True Grit by Charles Portis (this is the book that the movie was based on)

My mother gave him

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) by George R. R. Martin

And I received Joanna Bourne's Rogue Spy

and Thea Harrison's A Dragon's Family Album: A Collection of the Elder Races  and The Wicked (Elder Races) (both of which I've already enjoyed)

and  couple of Kristen Ashley titles: Kaleidoscope (Colorado Mountain) and  Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain)

as well as a few books that fall into the Linton Abbey category and are probably best not mentioned here!

We are definite book people!

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you!  And I'm  :lol:   Biker jacket girl (who got another for Christmas!) is my younger dd  :lol:  That's Aly and she's 14 and that's her personality.  Vintage black polka dots, Audrey Hepburn channeling is my 20yo, Skye.  Skyeler is always taken for the younger one nowadays.  In fact when we were at an amusement park this summer with the kids she nanny's, they kept telling her that she had to be a responsible adult to ride with the 2yo!!!   :laugh:   She didn't find it as amusing as the rest of us.    

Oh dear. Apologies to your older dd on my part. The main thing is y'all look lovely.