Menu

Anyone using classical pronunciation with Memoria Press Latin?

Sally Day

We are. We decided to go that route because my daughter and I really liked the layout of LC. We don't really use the DVDs (although I suppose it is possible). This is partly because the DVDs only include the ecclesiatical pronunciation (although ecclesiatical pronunciation isn't really that different, just for a few sounds) but mainly because my daughter doesn't like learning from a DVD. We use the classical pronunciation cd, but I'm comfortable enough with the pronunciation now that we don't use it as much.

The biggest issue is probably that the LC workbooks do not include the macrons in the classical pronunciation. Everything is spelled the same but the macrons are not there. Which isn't so much as issue now but will be eventually, so I started adding in macrons into her workbook. It's probably not super necessary at this stage but I wanted to introduce her to the concept.

Because of this I think we will eventually switch, because I do want to continue with the classical pronunciation. First Form also has a classical pronunciation option, but I don't think the rest of the forms have that option. We do like the program and we have made it work, so it is possible, and we will probably go through First Form in the same way because she really likes the program. It adds extra work on my part to be diligent in researching and adding the macrons but I enjoy doing things like that.

I believe First Form includes the macrons that LC1 doesn't, Curlymom. And, they have classical pronunciation CDs for 2nd & 3rd form. You don't have to switch if you don't want to. :-)

They didn't redo their DVDs, I don't think, so you probably don't want to use those. If you are okay with teaching it on your own (without the dvds), I think you would be fine.

I believe First Form includes the macrons that LC1 doesn't, Curlymom. And, they have classical pronunciation CDs for 2nd & 3rd form. You don't have to switch if you don't want to. :-)

They didn't redo their DVDs, I don't think, so you probably don't want to use those. If you are okay with teaching it on your own (without the dvds), I think you would be fine.

Thanks for the clarification, RootAnn! I wonder if those are new, I don't remember seeing them before. Or maybe I just didn't notice! That is definitely good to know.