Menu

Easy appetizer party

aggieamy

I'm doing a casual appetizer party for friends and family to stop by open house style on Christmas Eve.  We'll snack, play board games, and enjoy spending time together.  I'm expecting anywhere from 8-15 people.

The people will be a mix of old/young/little kids, vegetarians/eat anything people.  I'd like to have a food out from 11 - 4 pm.  

What does the Hive recommend?  I don't care as much about showing off my culinary skills so much as relaxing and having fun.

So far I'm thinking:

Cream cheese with jalapeno jelly and crackers

Bacon wrapped stuffed dates

Mini custard cookies

Oreo truffles I'm going to force DD to make

Any other ideas?  I'm love some sort of creamy warm dip.  Some sort of finger food snacky thing.  Another warm snacky thing.

Include recipes!

Hot Artichoke Dip - delicious...oh the recipe:

2   14oz cans of artichoke hearts, drained

1  8oz block of cream cheese

1 cup real mayo

2 green onions, chopped

cayenne pepper (optional)

1 cup grated parmesan cheese

Sea Salt

Freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to F350

Put ONE can (not both) of artichokes, the mayo and the cream cheese into a food processor and blend together. - can also mix together by hand. Add the optional cayenne pepper and green onions. Pulse the mix 6-7 times just so the artichokes get chopped up and blended in. Mix in the parmesan, salt & pepper together and set aside.

Now roughly chop the remaining can of artichokes into chunks. Add them to the mix by stirring them in gently. Pour mixture into an oven proof bowl / pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until heated through and bubbly.

Taco roll ups are a hit with all ages.

Mix
1 package cream cheese, softened

1 can refried beans

1 packet taco seasoning mix

1 package flour tortillas and 2 cups finely shredded cheese

Warm flour tortillas in the microwave about 8 seconds and then spread with the cream cheese mixture, sprinkle with finely shredded cheese (taco, cheddar, whatever you have) and roll up.  chill and then cut into 1 inch pinrolls

This is my very favorite and very easy artichoke dip. It's from Joy of Cooking with a couple small improvements (replacing part of the mayo with some cream and omitting a pointless decorative step). Serve with thin slices of french bread. If you don't have a food processor, it can easily be made just coarse chopping the veggies by hand. http://www.food.com/recipe/5-minute-delicious-artichoke-dip-food-processor-make-ahead-179080

Another new favorite hot dip, also super easy, is this one. It's great as written, but even better if you add about a cup of cheddar cheese. Serve with tortilla chips. :) http://www.food.com/recipe/jalapeno-popper-dip-326343

If you have a tiny crockpot, the second dip worked great in a tiny crockpot -- start to finish cooking in the crockpot, then it can stay warm there, too! I haven't tried the top one in a crockpot. If I want it to stay hot for serving for an extended time, I have put it on a heated serving warmer tray thing, and that works, but I usually just serve it straight from the oven, and unless I make a double/triple batch, there is rarely any left to get cool. :)

Each of these dips have been universally loved and are very easy. Enjoy!

These are a favorite around here. I don't really have a name for them except sausage cups.

1 package of wanton wrappers

1 roll of breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Dean)

About 1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese, I like Colby jack but cheddar would be good

About 1/2 cup ranch dressing

Start browning the sausage. Meanwhile press one wanton wrapper into each cup of a mini-muffin tin. (This is kind of a rough recipe. I don't know exactly how many little cups this makes. I usually fill up two pans with wrappers, but don't always need them all). Bake the empty cup at 375 for a couple minutes, until lightly brown. When the sausage is done, drain and move to a bowl. Stir in the cheese and ranch. I put in enough to make it nice and creamy, but not soupy. Fill your partially baked cups and then bake for a few more minutes, until the cups are browned and the filling is hot and melty.

These are so good hot but still stay yummy as they cool to room temperature.

Cocktail meatballs, prepared in a crockpot.

Dump 1 lb. of frozen meatballs in crockpot.  In a pan on the stove, heat a 16 oz. jar of grape jelly with a 12 oz. jar of chili sauce (similar to cocktail sauce, which you can substitute if you can't find chili sauce--they'll be next to each other at the grocery store).  Heat the jelly/sauce mix, and blend well. Pour over meatballs, cook on low or high depending on how soon you need them.

I'm already planning to make these for New Year's Eve.  :)

Bourbon meatballs--

ketchup and brown sugar (1/2 cup each)

1/4 cup bourbon

1 tsp of worcheishire (how do you spell that!?!?!)

I cook these together in a saucepan until it thickens a bit, then pour over precooked meatballs--I use the ones from Costco. Perfect for the crockpot.

We did shrimp shooters for our party recently--shot glasses with a dollop of cocktail sauce in the bottom and topped with a peeled, cooked, and chilled shrimp. Nestle each shot glass down in some ice on a platter. It's an impressive looking display. :)

Can't remember where I got the recipe (prob Pinterest) but these are yummy--sorry if you don't do "canned rolls." You could prob sub something else.

1 can crescent rolls

small brie

walnuts--whole or (cheaper) pieces--maybe, a cup?

green apple (1 per can of rolls was enough for us)

honey

You unroll the crescent roll and put about an inch piece of apple on it, topped with a small rectangle of brie and a healthy sprinkle of walnuts. Drilzzle with honey, then wrap it up. Baking on parchment is a good idea as it is oozy. Bake for the time the can says to cook the crescent roll.

I'm sorry it's not very exact, but you will see the size you have to do to get it to cover with the dough. Some can peek out; you don't have to seal the ends. Yes, the cheese leaks out, but it's fine--just scoop it off the oozed cheese from the baking tray; no one will mind. :laugh:

I made a cheese dip for the office Christmas potluck that was a hit. The crockpot was literally scraped clean. 

2 lb block of Velveeta's white queso

1 lb ground beef, browned and drained

2 cans Rotel mild (or hotter, if you prefer), drained.

Put the meat, Rotel and cubed cheese into the crockpot on low and let it melt. Stir every so often. That's it!

I'm doing appetizers Christmas Eve with my sister's family. One thing they insist upon is crab dip. They love it. They think it's hard to make. I serve it with sourdough toast. The recipe is mainly crab and cream cheese with whatever other cheeses and seasonings I like. Really, it's the crab in melted cream cheese that everyone loves. Mix it up and toss it in the oven.

I'm also making ATKs crockpot wings. They finish in the oven. I'm actually planning my menu today, so I think I'll skim this thread for easy ideas :-)

My wing recipe is easy. Line a cookie sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Put frozen wings in sheet in single layer, sprinkle with your choice of seasoning. I use either gRlic powder and paprika or lawrys. Bake at 375 for at least 1.5 hours.the pan fills with juice, you can dip some of that off after an hour if so. Continue baking until wings starting to dry out. No other way to explain it , and it doesn't sound right but they are demicious. I always get asked for the recipe.

I'm doing appetizers Christmas Eve with my sister's family. One thing they insist upon is crab dip. They love it. They think it's hard to make. I serve it with sourdough toast. The recipe is mainly crab and cream cheese with whatever other cheeses and seasonings I like. Really, it's the crab in melted cream cheese that everyone loves. Mix it up and toss it in the oven.

I'm also making ATKs crockpot wings. They finish in the oven. I'm actually planning my menu today, so I think I'll skim this thread for easy ideas :-)

Do you use real crab? DH loves crab cakes but I only make them a few times a year because lump crab is $$$.

Is there a certain brand of smoked salmon you can buy that isn't all slimy?  I adore actual smoked salmon from someone's smoker, and have tried buying the kind in packages to serve as an appetizer, but it was slimy and  :ack2: ,  Not cheap either, so I'm afraid to buy any more.

Smoked salmon with cream cheese, crackers, and capers is a YUMMY appetizer.

Another new favorite hot dip, also super easy, is this one. It's great as written, but even better if you add about a cup of cheddar cheese. Serve with tortilla chips. :) http://www.food.com/recipe/jalapeno-popper-dip-326343

This is one of our favorite dips. We serve it with tortilla chips, baguette slices, and butter crackers. It's always a hit.

Barf dip. Similar to above but you use canned chili in place of the beef.

1 can chili, 1 block of cream cheese, 1/2 cup of grated cheddar. Toss in mini crockpot.

This is my favorite warm dip recipe. So simple and is always a crowd pleaser. I do not have a mini crock pot, so I just warm it in the oven.