Menu

How long will cookies stay fresh?

happypamama

I've baked some cookies already and have them in the freezer. But other types won't freeze as well and need to be made closer to Christmas. It would greatly help me if I could bake some today and tomorrow, five and four days ahead of time, but I don't want stale cookies. I store them in cookie tins. Will the cookies keep that long, or are they likely to be stale? Is there anything I can do to help them keep longer?

While I'm on the subject, what about fudge? Will it keep in tins, or will it go stale?

Depends on the cookies.

Certain kinds (gingerbread) need to sit in tins for a few weeks because they get better and better.

My grandma and my baking friend start(ed) baking Christmas cookies in November and store them without problem; they don't freeze them.

With gingerbread, add an apple to the tin so they don't get hard.

Depends on the cookies.

Certain kinds (gingerbread) need to sit in tins for a few weeks because they get better and better.

My grandma and my baking friend start(ed) baking Christmas cookies in November and store them without problem; they don't freeze them.

With gingerbread, add an apple to the tin so they don't get hard.

Okay, thank you, good to know. We have the gingerbread dough chilling but haven't had time to roll it out yet. We could do those today.

I am no help as to how long they would stay fresh. I just wanted to say that if I made cookies today for Christmas. I would still need to make cookies for Christmas as the ones I made today would be completely gone by then.

This! It's kind of like that owl asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop... Cookies don't last long enough to get stale here.  :)

That being said, I've baked up a few cookies and bars this past week and every one went into the freezer.  When I need to put together a cookie platter over the next few weeks, I'll pull them all out of the freezer, assemble my plate, and then put them back in the freezer.  They thaw on the plate in just a few hours. 

LOL, everyone! There is that risk, that we will need more by Christmas, but I have plans for about eight kinds of cookies and two kinds of fudge, and I do clamp down on them hard before Christmas, so we should be good. I think we will do the gingerbread and the sour cream cutouts today; I'll freeze the sour cream ones until Wednesday, when we will take them out and put their frosting glaze on them, because they are a soft cookie and need to stay that way (and they freeze well). And then I will make the others that don't freeze well tomorrow (ie the peanut butter cookies with the chocolate kisses and the cherry macaroons that DH asked for), and they should be okay until Thursday.

Yes, like others if the cookies actually go stale, they probably weren't very good.  Time to look for a new recipe. :)

This might help: Freezer friendly holiday cookies http://www.bhg.com/christmas/cookies/freezer-friendly-holiday-cookies/

How to Store Holiday Cookies: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/how-to-store-cookies/

Home Christmas Cookies Tips http://www.livingonadime.com/homemade-christmas-cookie-tips/