Menu

Marketing embraces diversity?

Jean in Newcastle

I got my first piece of junk mail in Tagalog the other day.  I get Tagalog and Spanish telemarketers frequently.  Today I got a call in some language that I couldn't identify.  I started to say "I don't speak. . ." and then just stopped because it didn't sound either Spanish or Tagalog.  Perhaps Portuguese?  (My last name is shared by speakers in all these languages.)  Have you ever gotten calls or mail in languages other than English?  Assuming that you live in an English speaking country.  

I've gotten stuff in Spanish. My area has a lot of Spamish speakers. I don't think I'm targeted though, beyond the geography of my address. My last name screams English speaker.

At work, my boss gets targeted marketing calls. He is the school owner so his name is on a lot of stuff. His name us obviously ethnically Indian. We get all kinds of calls from people with Indian accents pretended to be familiar with boss, asking for him by his first name. I general screen by saying "he's busy, can I take a message?" They never leave a message.

Yes, in Spanish all the time.   Our last name is very Hispanic (dh's dad is from Puerto Rico).  We also get mail in Spanish and one time we had some evangelists come to the door looking for "the Spanish-speaking family on this street". 

None of us speak any Spanish past what we remember from a year or two in high school.

Our children's hospital was sending us all our automatic appointment reminders and scheduling reminders in Mandarin Chinese for a while. It was a mistake somewhere in their computer system, but I think it was related to us using a translator for a couple of our kids. How they tagged us in a different language when we were only using the translator for a minor patient at hospital visits and all other communication was supposed to be in English, I'm not sure. It took a couple tries to get it fixed. 

Yes, I get marketed to in Spanish occasionally. At one point my Pandora station decided I speak Spanish. I think it's simply my zip code, not my name or any of my behavior. My neighborhood has a lot of central Americans - one of the more concentrated groups in the city where I live.

Oh, yes, Pandora and YouTube think that I speak Spanish because I like Santana.  

Mrs. Mungo. we get the "cheap phone calls to the Philippines" deals all the time.  I had one telemarketer really ream on me (in English) about how we needed to call family over there more.  A lot of the Spanish ones tend to be "how to send money back home to Mexico" deals.