Menu

ROTC Scholarship

AFwife Claire

This is a mommy brag, but DS1 was awarded a type 1 Air Force ROTC scholarship!  Here's what that means, from the AFROTC website:

Type 1—Pays full college tuition, most fees and a book allowance. Approximately five percent of our four-year scholarships are Type 1—mostly in technical fields as deemed needed by the Air Force (careers with a scientific basis such as engineering, chemistry and meteorology).

We're pretty excited!  He is still waiting to hear if he'll get an appointment to a service academy.  He has Presidential nominations to all 3 because of dh's service, but he also was awarded a nomination to USAFA from our representative.  That was a huge surprise because we live in competitive Northern Virginia, and we didn't think any congressman would give a nomination to someone who already had Presidential ones.  If he does get an appointment, then he'll have a difficult choice to make.  He's wanted to go to USAFA since he was a little boy, and we were stationed there, plus his dad and his grandfather were both grads.  But he really, really liked Virginia Tech and their Corps of Cadets, and that would be a lot closer to home . . . No matter what, the really nice thing is that it looks like his college education will pretty much be free.  

I really have tried not to make his whole college process a validation of our homeschool, but I have to admit--this has been a much-needed boost for me to keep on for the long haul.