Menu

Putting a Christmas gift basket together for someone with terminal cancer

helena

I could really use some advice. We're going to be spending Christmas Eve with my parents and my step-dads brother and SIL. SIL has cancer and I believe everyone is treating this as her last Christmas. 

I know them from gatherings here and there. They're really kind people, and I'm heart broken to hear this sad news. 

I'd like to bring a little gift basket for them, filled with some cozy, happy things. The theme for all the parents this year is cozy, so there is that. I was thinking a Fashy hot water bottle with a soft cover or a throw, some nice honey and tea from our local Persian market, maybe some relaxing music like George Winston's December or A Christmas Story audio book... cozy socks?? 

I don't know... I don't want anything somber. I want to have a great evening together, and laugh, and enjoy each others company. Gosh. I'm just... lump in throat-ish. 

So what are some of lives little pleasures I could tuck into this basket? I know it's not about stuff, but I do want to bring a gift for her and her husband. 

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

Maybe some nice, organic lotion or bath products and a scrubby or poof...spa type stuff? A gift certificate for a mani/pedi? Something that feels relaxing and luxurious. I love the tea and honey and nice chocolate idea too. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, their dark chocolate truffles are fabulous (and fairly cheap, pricewise, in comparison to nicer chocolates.)

I'm sorry to post again...will she be doing chemo or radiation? If so you can look up some products that might help her cope with side effects? Like hard candies for dry mouth, special lotions for dry skin, even gift cards for a place she enjoys to eat at so that if she doesn't have much of an appetite, her family can offer her her favorite foods to help her try to eat, etc...

I'm sorry to post again...will she be doing chemo or radiation? If so you can look up some products that might help her cope with side effects? Like hard candies for dry mouth, special lotions for dry skin, even gift cards for a place she enjoys to eat at so that if she doesn't have much of an appetite, her family can offer her her favorite foods to help her try to eat, etc...

Hmm... I'm not sure. I think they stopped the treatments. I'll ask my mom.

This is a little ootb, but does she like funny cartoons? We laugh so much at The Far Side here--would she like a book like that?

Cozy mittens, or an infinity scarf she can wear indoors and out?

This is also OOTB, but...a really soft teddy bear?

Do they have a fire place? How about some of those colored things you throw in to the fire and it makes it all pretty?